Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jan 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,741 of 4,123
You're joking , right ? I have a Proficiency diploma in English and you speak the language better than me.

You speak better than some native English people imo

Quote:

Sorry about my bad english...
wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Peter

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,742 of 4,123
I haven't decided yet. I'm satisfied with my 1G. I did have the bug at first, but now I'm not so sure. So, I'm not on the list... for now. As I like to say, "the sheep's in the water." :wink: ("Wool sea" - we'll see)

Quote:

Quote:
I thought you might get around to asking that, Grokit. And, CRAP. I'll amend my sig. 1G, my man. So, yeah - I've got the 10-120-70 ( 0 II I ) impedance switch measurements.

Quote:
I know you have mentioned it before but it's not in your sig, Mediaogre so I have to ask. What generation Arrow HE are you referring to here?

Are you planning/on the list for the 3G upgrade? I am on the list but feel just a bit apprehensive. I love my G1 but since it was only $25 I didn't want to miss out on any improvements.
blink.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #1,744 of 4,123

I have 1G Arrow too.  Strangely, I bought the Arrow when it first came out, sold it then rebought a 1G a month or so back.  I've looked at what the 3G offers over the 1G and to be frank I can't be bothered sending it off and paying the extra just for that minimal upgrade. 

Or am I missing some big leap in fidelity and functionality that the new gen offers?

Quote:
I haven't decided yet. I'm satisfied with my 1G. I did have the bug at first, but now I'm not so sure. So, I'm not on the list... for now. As I like to say, "the sheep's in the water." :wink: ("Wool sea" - we'll see)

Quote:

Quote:
I thought you might get around to asking that, Grokit. And, CRAP. I'll amend my sig. 1G, my man. So, yeah - I've got the 10-120-70 ( 0 II I ) impedance switch measurements.

Quote:
I know you have mentioned it before but it's not in your sig, Mediaogre so I have to ask. What generation Arrow HE are you referring to here?

Are you planning/on the list for the 3G upgrade? I am on the list but feel just a bit apprehensive. I love my G1 but since it was only $25 I didn't want to miss out on any improvements.
blink.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #1,745 of 4,123
AFAIK, there have been some claims of better treble but I'm with you, if anybody knows what the improvements are actually supposed to be please weigh in.

No one has been able to compare the two yet, but as Robert is willing to let me compare the two I'm sure I could send the new one back if I wanted instead of trading in the 1G. But will that still cost me the $25, plus the return shipping? Talk about taking one for the team!

Btw, what was the non-HE version called, the 0G? I had ordered that one originally and upgraded at the last minute to the HE version for another $50.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #1,747 of 4,123
As I wrote two weeks ago I had 1G (from March 2010) and 3G in my hands and on my ears over the Christmas holidays. Heard with REO, HD580, K271, D5000. No systematic "burn-in".

It was very hard if not impossible to detect a difference in SQ which is exactly in line what Robert says on his own forum. Under torture I would admit the 3G sounds very slightly warmer, the 1G a tad dryer. I am not a reviewer hence lack the language capabilities to describe SQ. 

Heck, for me (!) it was €15 for the upgrade and €2 postage to return the 1G in exchange for peace of mind (!), longer battery life (makes sense at higher gain settings for low sensitive or or high impedance headphones), a 2nd headphone jack, no exposed power switch and of course a new, unused 3G with fresh battery. And with RE0 or K271 you can't have enough bass boost.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #1,748 of 4,123
This post pretty much covers what I would say re: the Arrow/650 pairing. Thanks Mediaogre
wink.gif

Quote:
I couldn't ask for a better portable to pair with those two vastly different phones. It's really ridiculous how versatile and efficient the Arrow is. A lot of us here pair the Arrow with the HD650 and believe it or not, it works extremely well. Personally, I've been cranking the gain on the Arrow up to III when pairing with the HD650s. I like to drive the volume with the amp and not the PMP. No hiss or distortion, plenty of power, the HD650s sound like they're plugged into something bigger and more expensive, and I get about 15 hours of battery life on full tilt.

I love the SE530s through the Arrow. Some don't, but I get nothing but pleasure. I leave the impedance at 0, set the gain to I or II (yes, II) and bump the Arrow bass boost to I or, occasionally, II. The Shures are bass anemic, but they sound so good driven by the Arrow. Also, lately I've been experimenting with the crossfeed setting and I've left it on setting I for a couple of weeks. I think it makes for a more natural listening experience and with less fatigue for those heads-down moments at work where only metal can distract me from storming into the server room, yanking out all the Ethernet cables and making my own version of the Burning Man. :wink:

Quote:
@ Mediaogre, How does it pair with the SE530 and HD650?

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #1,749 of 4,123
The 1G Arrow is amazing with my new Ultrasone Pro 900. I can echo what mediaogre says about being such a versatile little amp with larger phones too!

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #1,750 of 4,123

Quote:
The 1G Arrow is amazing with my new Ultrasone Pro 900. I can echo what mediaogre says about being such a versatile little amp with larger phones too!

X2! A special little package arrived this morning. I`ve been auditioning it with the pro 900 and so far I`m quite pleasantly surprised... Too bad I need to go to work now
frown.gif

@Cn11: What are your settings for the pro 900?

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #1,751 of 4,123
I hope you don't mind if I chime in...

With my Pro 750s (almost identical to your 900s) I have it set on Bass: "I", Cross: "0" (or "I" if listening to heavily-panned music), Impedance: "0", Gain: "II"

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #1,752 of 4,123
Quote:
I hope you don't mind if I chime in...

With my Pro 750s (almost identical to your 900s) I have it set on Bass: "I", Cross: "0" (or "I" if listening to heavily-panned music), Impedance: "0", Gain: "II"

Do you get any noise on the higher gain settings with full sized cans?

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #1,753 of 4,123
Not on Gain: "II."  For reference I only needed to go about 50% on the volume pot for normal listening.  I never used it on Gain: "III" as I have yet to own a pair of headphones that requires that high a gain setting.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #1,754 of 4,123
Yeah, same here.... Gain @ II, bass at 0 or I, depending on how quietly I'm listening. Nothing else used on the Arrow. I love how the Pro 900s are still quite full and punchy sounding at low volume. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back