Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Oct 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #1,067 of 4,123

Quote:
I use the "line out" from my H120 but it is just a headphone out. It sounds just fine to me.

While it appears to function exactly as another headphone out, according to the schematic, it is a line-out with digitally controlled volume. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #1,068 of 4,123
So what is the deal with the line out on devices like my Nokia 5800? It's the same physical port as the headphone out. When you insert a mini-plug into it, you have to make a software selection: line out or headphones. The thing is, the line out is still attenuated by the volume control and the volume level seems the same for both selections. Is this particular "line out" a gimmick?

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #1,069 of 4,123
[size=medium]Ok it has been done after hours upon hours of research the Arrow has been purchased! I think you all will be interested that the LisaIII was also a contender in my search for the greatest portable amp, but like the others I could not find enough evidence/pros to even get me to buy that over the Arrow! (If anyone has heard the LisaIII and the Arrow and wants to add any input, I would still be interested in what you have to say) (Look at me, I still can’t stop)
rolleyes.gif
. So in short thanks again for everyone’s input, now it sounds like I have quite the wait! 
popcorn.gif
[/size]

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #1,070 of 4,123
Yes. Friend. You have quite the wait. I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of my own Arrow amp ... shipped about 10 days ago ... any second now! (four months!) ... SHWEW!! ... I don't even really care much about the new OPAMP that the builder is touting ... I could care less about POWER ON Pops ... All my portable stuff Pops when powering on. I kind of like that, actually.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #1,071 of 4,123

Quote:
[size=medium]Ok it has been done after hours upon hours of research the Arrow has been purchased! I think you all will be interested that the LisaIII was also a contender in my search for the greatest portable amp, but like the others I could not find enough evidence/pros to even get me to buy that over the Arrow! (If anyone has heard the LisaIII and the Arrow and wants to add any input, I would still be interested in what you have to say) (Look at me, I still can’t stop)
rolleyes.gif
. So in short thanks again for everyone’s input, now it sounds like I have quite the wait! 
popcorn.gif
[/size]

Right on, Party. You may not have to wait as long as the March-through-August orders folks. I just read through the support thread at headphonia.org and Rob said he has some new assistants.

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,072 of 4,123
Lets hope so, but the July batch has yet to be shipped. While waiting for this amp, I almost pulled the trigger on buying a desktop amp with bass control. I really hope it gets here before I feeling the urge to buy another amp...

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #1,076 of 4,123
Robert mentioned that the opamp change in the 2.1 version sounds the same, the only difference is that it no longer makes a popping sound when you turn on the amp (through your headphones). BTW as a reference, I'm in the early 2500s and my status has yet to change...

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #1,077 of 4,123
hi... does anyone know how can i use this hadstage arrow amp with my ipod classic 120gig?
does it change the sound signature of my iem?
does it helps boost the sound of a monster MILES Davis tributes?

please help...

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #1,078 of 4,123
I have been using my Arrow for about a month now (2g) and I have to say, it is a fairly neutral amp. It may slightly emphasize the mids, but I find overall that I really like the combination with my UM3X and Ipod Classic. I just can't wait to try them with my DIYmod + Twisted cables SPC LOD. I would say that YMMV depending on how much the monsters improve with amping. From what I have heard, the UM3X actually benefits more than other low-impedance IEMS.

Essentially you will need 1 thing: A Line Out Dock. You Can go cheap or moderate or expensive depending on your acoustic preferences and your budget.

Expect:
1. Improved clarity and impact in the treble
2. Wider soundstage
3. Tighter, more defined bass
4. (This depends on your IEMS) My UM3X hiss slightly from the ipod classic HO, but using the Arrow I find the background (on default gain) to be very black, which makes quiet music such as classical, jazz, or
    ambient sounds much better

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #1,079 of 4,123
^^ Excellent response and information. Now that's what this thread and forum are about. And I agree with your sonic-related comments. With regard to IEMs, The Arrow actually helped my SE530s quite a bit, but I don't really consider them low impedance (36 Ohm?) for IEMs.

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #1,080 of 4,123
The MDs are not really lower impedance at all.  They like juice no doubt about it.  I love the Arrow w/ the MD and the bass boost on it just adds to the versatility of the MDs.  You have nothing to fear going Arrow to MD and a lot to gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back