Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Apr 29, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #316 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinzeta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you have a UM3X also?

In any case, looking forward to your impressions with the D2!

I have an ER4P which doesn't have much bass to begin with.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #317 of 4,123
Quote:

Did you have a UM3X also?

In any case, looking forward to your impressions with the D2!

Merlinzeta,

I mainly use my SE530s and my Arrow is IC'd to My Zune HPO. I know this is a different setup, but our components and connectivity options (which aren't optimal
frown.gif
) are similar: amp+DAP/HPO, high-end triple armature driver IEMs.

The Arrow fills out the sonic range of my SE530s. Phones like these really should be sold with an "SQ results may vary" disclaimer. Powerful and midrangey before, the mids are now a force. I have all the bass I need and while I wouldn't consider myself a "bass head" I like to feel it when it's meant to be felt. I don't know where the crossover kicks in but it's low enough that I'm feeling headquakes now. I'm talking about subsonics though. There's plenty of punch, and the bass is still tight and has more definition.

My only challenge has been the highs. A low impedance/high gain combo punches out the highs but with IEMs there's more *noticable* noise (as compared to my Senn cans and higher Ohms phones). I've fiddled around a lot and mostly settled on GAIN II, IMP 0 with the DAP volume around 11 or 12/20 and the amp around 1/2 volume-ish. At those settings, noise is reduced, highs sparkle and snare drums still snap with authority.

I hope this helps. Have you ordered one? You'll be glad you did. Even through a HPO, I'm loving the SQ improvement and can happily wait until my wife forgets about the amp expense before looking into a different DAP.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #318 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediaogre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Merlinzeta,

I mainly use my SE530s and my Arrow is IC'd to My Zune HPO. I know this is a different setup, but our components and connectivity options (which aren't optimal
frown.gif
) are similar: amp+DAP/HPO, high-end triple armature driver IEMs.

The Arrow fills out the sonic range of my SE530s. Phones like these really should be sold with an "SQ results may vary" disclaimer. Powerful and midrangey before, the mids are now a force. I have all the bass I need and while I wouldn't consider myself a "bass head" I like to feel it when it's meant to be felt. I don't know where the crossover kicks in but it's low enough that I'm feeling headquakes now. I'm talking about subsonics though. There's plenty of punch, and the bass is still tight and has more definition.

My only challenge has been the highs. A low impedance/high gain combo punches out the highs but with IEMs there's more *noticable* noise (as compared to my Senn cans and higher Ohms phones). I've fiddled around a lot and mostly settled on GAIN II, IMP 0 with the DAP volume around 11 or 12/20 and the amp around 1/2 volume-ish. At those settings, noise is reduced, highs sparkle and snare drums still snap with authority.

I hope this helps. Have you ordered one? You'll be glad you did. Even through a HPO, I'm loving the SQ improvement and can happily wait until my wife forgets about the amp expense before looking into a different DAP.
wink.gif

Thanks for the comprehensive answer! It sure is encouraging to say the least.

I haven't ordered yet, but only because the site says new orders won't be sent until May anyways. I'll at least wait for wuwhere to get his and post impressions with the D2.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #319 of 4,123
Quote:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer! It sure is encouraging to say the least.

I haven't ordered yet, but only because the site says new orders won't be sent until May anyways. I'll at least wait for wuwhere to get his and post impressions with the D2.

Ah, good call. Does the D2 have an EQ? You'd have SO MUCH (too much?) flexibility with a D2+Arrow combo! I'm certain it's going to wake up your UM3Xs. The Zune 80 doesn't have an EQ and, actually, I'm one of the freaks who likes the Zune's naked sound signature. With all the Arrow's flexible settings, I find I don't miss a DAP EQ one bit.

Speed to wuwhere's order!!

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #320 of 4,123
Like all Cowon players, the D2 has a really good EQ (next only to Rockbox's EQ), and also BBE sound enhancements (probably the best stuff in the market). The Arrow works great with all my Cowon players, or any other player for that matter. I haven't really found anything that doesn't "synergize" with the Arrow, so far.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #321 of 4,123
The Arrow has worked great for me as well. As far as I am concerned for the price it cannot be beat. Plenty of power and ultra quiet. Great bang for the buck.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #322 of 4,123
@ dkft, I hate you guys with your Cowons.
smily_headphones1.gif
And you said, "synergize."
wink.gif

@ Eagle Eye, That's a bada** avatar, man.

@ merlinzeta, what are your waiting for?
wink.gif
Seriously, pull the trigger. If Robert continues to receive the praise and subsequent orders he deserves, ship dates will inevitably creep. I don't pretend to have visibility into his production process, but I imagine demand would need to increase dramatically for him to make the business decisions necessary to boost production.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #323 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Arrow has worked great for me as well. As far as I am concerned for the price it cannot be beat. Plenty of power and ultra quiet. Great bang for the buck.

Big X2

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like all Cowon players, the D2 has a really good EQ (next only to Rockbox's EQ), and also BBE sound enhancements (probably the best stuff in the market). The Arrow works great with all my Cowon players, or any other player for that matter. I haven't really found anything that doesn't "synergize" with the Arrow, so far.

Another big X2 on the any player comment. I haven't heard a lot of them but the Arrow is a true "amplifier" in that it does what it is supposed to do without coloration or noise. No turn on thump, no hiss and very smooth, accurate volume control. I've been using mine for months now and am extremely happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back