Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
May 3, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #348 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by PANGES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What settings are you using with the IE8's? I haven't tried my Arrow yet, but just curious where would be a good starting point for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt,6606728
I'm generally using bass 2, cross 2, gain 1, imp 0, with my Cowon O2 and IE8 - for movies.

PANGES, keep in mind that dfkt uses the crossfeed filter with his IEMs to smooth out the rough edges of 5.1 down-mixed to stereo. (Please correct me if I'm inaccurate, dfkt.) I rarely use the crossfeed with modern, well-mastered music recordings and my Shure SE530s. Just FYI.

May 4, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #350 of 4,123
Thanks for the input, dfkt and Mediaogre.

I just got home from class and finally popped the Arrow on with my ipod Touch 3g (64gig if that matters), Sennheiser IE8, and LOD (made by Average_Joe).

My first impressions: I was worried about buying an amp, because I did not notice any difference with the NuForce Icon Mobile and FiiO E1 (which I bought only because I wanted the remote for the ipod). But the second I popped in the Arrow- WOW! I have it at Bass- I, Cross- 0, Gain- II, and Imp- 0. Now I'm not experienced enough with audio equipment, nor am I efficient at explaining what I'm hearing with technical terms since I'm still pretty new to all this... But I know what I like, and I'm 100% positive I LIKE!

I don't know if this amp needs to be burned in, or what, and I don't care, I'm loving it. I liked the IE8's, because I loved the feeling of having the music wrap around me and just getting lost in it, and this amp just takes that feeling to a whole new level.

The bass is punchier on I... I tried it on II and it was too overwhelming for me (and I LOVVVEEEEE bass).

I wish I could better explain what I'm hearing to you guys other than "Me likey!" but it's all I have to offer at the moment.. Perhaps something more intelligent will come to me the more I listen. lol.

May 4, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #351 of 4,123
Quote:

What settings are you using with the IE8's? I haven't tried my Arrow yet, but just curious where would be a good starting point for me.

Quote:

Thanks for the input, dfkt and Mediaogre.

I just got home from class and finally popped the Arrow on with my ipod Touch 3g (64gig if that matters), Sennheiser IE8, and LOD (made by Average_Joe).

My first impressions: I was worried about buying an amp, because I did not notice any difference with the NuForce Icon Mobile and FiiO E1 (which I bought only because I wanted the remote for the ipod). But the second I popped in the Arrow- WOW! I have it at Bass- I, Cross- 0, Gain- II, and Imp- 0. Now I'm not experienced enough with audio equipment, nor am I efficient at explaining what I'm hearing with technical terms since I'm still pretty new to all this... But I know what I like, and I'm 100% positive I LIKE!

I don't know if this amp needs to be burned in, or what, and I don't care, I'm loving it. I liked the IE8's, because I loved the feeling of having the music wrap around me and just getting lost in it, and this amp just takes that feeling to a whole new level.

The bass is punchier on I... I tried it on II and it was too overwhelming for me (and I LOVVVEEEEE bass).

I wish I could better explain what I'm hearing to you guys other than "Me likey!" but it's all I have to offer at the moment.. Perhaps something more intelligent will come to me the more I listen. lol.

You're welcome, PANGES. Your setting are just about where I like mine with my SE530s.

Hey, enthusiasm, appreciation and the desire for something better is all it takes. Enjoy!

BTW - I'm an old Bay Area boy.
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #352 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediaogre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're welcome, PANGES. Your setting are just about where I like mine with my SE530s.

Hey, enthusiasm, appreciation and the desire for something better is all it takes. Enjoy!

BTW - I'm an old Bay Area boy.
beerchug.gif

haha. That's funny you say that, because that's how all my additions to certain hobbies start. I already know head-fi is going to ruin my life just like my car addiction has, and I'm okay with it.
darthsmile.gif

May 4, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #353 of 4,123
By the way... to those of you using the Arrow with an iPhone or iPod touch: I've noticed that the amp makes this clicking/popping noise through my headphones whenever my WiFi is enabled on the iPod Touch. Has anyone else noticed this? It's only noticeable when I pause the song. Once the music is playing, I can't really hear it.

May 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #354 of 4,123
First brief listening.

Like Hellenback I am using this amp to drive HD650's. So I have iPhone (lossless music) > whiplash audio LOD > Arrow > Blue Dragon Cable > HD650.

This little sliver of an amp can really grab hold of the 650's and push them. Started with some familiar albums that I use for speaker auditions, Holy Cole (It Happened One Night), Patricia Barber (Companion), Bjork (Post), Pink Floyd (Pulse), Annie Lennox (Bare)

Settings: Bass 0, Cross 1, Gain 1, Imp 0

I found myself really listening to the music or should I say hearing the music. Instrument separation is very good, details come out, everything sounds for lack of a better word, "Right".

Do the 650's sound better from a full size home amp? Probably, but I don't have one. For a portable listening experience this is a wonderful solution.

My wife had a listen when she got home, she wanted to hear what I spent all that money on and now wants to take the rig to work with her. Her comments, "wow these are comfortable headphones", "wow this sounds great", "there is a lot of bass in this song". To which I had to respond, that's how the song sounds, there is a lot of bass.

More listening to come, and possibly a bit more switch flipping.

Probably will be looking for a different LOD. Side exit, right angle connector. The straight LOD is kind of a pain to connect.

May 4, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #355 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by GouldPhoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the 650's sound better from a full size home amp? Probably, but I don't have one.

I use the HD 650 with a Woo 6 at home, and while that beefy tube amp of course gives them a different 'flavor' of sound, it doesn't drive the HD 650 'better' than the Arrow, considering aspects like dynamics, channel separation (soundstage), bass extension, and such.

May 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #356 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the HD 650 with a Woo 6 at home, and while that beefy tube amp of course gives them a different 'flavor' of sound, it doesn't drive the HD 650 'better' than the Arrow, considering aspects like dynamics, channel separation (soundstage), bass extension, and such.

That is good to know as I was considering a desktop amp as well, saved me some money. My gut was telling me that the arrow was indeed driving the 650's with authority and comparing it to my CD players output it was sounding better. But of course reading about all the full sized amps with their extra reserves of power lead me to believe a full sized would improve the SQ.

I will try the arrow from my DAC and compare the sound as opposed to the iPhone. I think I am going to be very happy.

Now to find my rca to mini cables.

Thanks for the insight.

p.s. Excellent review of the amp, I enjoyed reading it.

May 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #357 of 4,123
Quote:

wow really?when i had the $330 headroom micro amp it had more bass impact than my wa6 but the soundstage was considerably less and instrument seperation wasnt as good as the wa6.the wa6 gives a very big soundstage with sweet bass and more instrument seperation than micro amp.
are you using sophia princess with your wa6?i was skeptical before i bought the tube but it does make a big difference than the crappy stock rectifier.

May 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #360 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow really?when i had the $330 headroom micro amp it had more bass impact than my wa6 but the soundstage was considerably less and instrument seperation wasnt as good as the wa6.the wa6 gives a very big soundstage with sweet bass and more instrument seperation than micro amp.
are you using sophia princess with your wa6?i was skeptical before i bought the tube but it does make a big difference than the crappy stock rectifier.

Quote:

Midoo1990, well I don't know the Headroom Micro Amp, but the Arrow drives the HD650 as well as my Woo does, sans the tube flavor. I don't have a Sophia, currently I use a 1960ies Mullard GZ34 rectifier.

With an Amperex GZ34 bugle boy rectifier my WA6 soundstage was no better than many portable amps (but better than some). But the Sophia Princess made a very noticeable improvement in the WA6 soundstage and refinement. You owe it to yourself to try this tube (needs 80 hours burn-in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back