Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Apr 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #331 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my review, enjoy: Headstage Arrow 12HE Headphone Amplifier Review

Wonderful, dkft. I actually learned some things I didn't know about my Arrow. Definitely browser bookmark worthy.

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #332 of 4,123
Thanks right back at you, Mediaogre. Your insightful posts here and in the ABI thread helped me quite a bit in writing up the review. By the way, I left the "flaw" in the housing out on purpose, since it's such a non-issue, and probably fixed in the amps that are shipping out at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #333 of 4,123
Listening to my Sony X (w/LOD)/ Arrow / FX700 combo right now, loving life!!
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #334 of 4,123
Quote:

Thanks right back at you, Mediaogre. Your insightful posts here and in the ABI thread helped me quite a bit in writing up the review. By the way, I left the "flaw" in the housing out on purpose, since it's such a non-issue, and probably fixed in the amps that are shipping out at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow thanks, dkft. I'm glad I could give back to this extremely generous and welcoming community. Good call on the "flaw". If anything, it's just another testament to the OCD environment in which the Arrow was so lovingly crafted - to all of our benefit.

May 1, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #336 of 4,123
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

@dtfk: I read your review and have to say you really covered all the bases. You expressed my own experience with the Arrow better than I could have myself.

I agree with Mediaogre that if the "flaw" was brought up it would have to be in conjunction with the "bordering on OCD" comment
wink.gif

May 1, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #337 of 4,123
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

@dfkt: Thanks a lot for the review, it was quite informative
icon10.gif

You mentioned in your review that you tried the XM5. How does it compare with the Arrow? I'm trying to decide if I even want to keep my XM5 anymore...

May 1, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #338 of 4,123
Quote:

Here's my review, enjoy: Headstage Arrow 12HE Headphone Amplifier Review

What a fantastic, informative, humorous and enjoyable review. Great stuff, and I agree with every word. Funnily enough, until you commented on it, I hadn't noticed there were two input ports! Realising that, I've reconnected my Arrow to my iPod the other way round, making it even more easy to use in transit. Brilliant.

So glad I got the Arrow instead of the Minibox E+, which I was debating a couple of months ago when I had the Ety ER4S. Now I have the E-Q7s and the Arrow, I feel like I have a match made in heaven. The Orto leather case even holds the Arrow and Classic perfectly. Doesn't get much better than that.

Stunning. That's my one word review of the Headstage Arrow. Buy it. That's my two word version.

May 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #339 of 4,123
Clarinetman - sorry, I never heard the XM5, I just mentioned it because of the sleep timer function.

Bennyboy - thanks for your comment. I agree with both your reviews, the one- and the two-word one.
biggrin.gif

cn11 - I just tried the Arrow with james444's FX700: aooogaaah/yowzer/etc!

May 2, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #340 of 4,123
Quote:

Clarinetman - sorry, I never heard the XM5, I just mentioned it because of the sleep timer function.

Bennyboy - thanks for your comment. I agree with both your reviews, the one- and the two-word one.
biggrin.gif

cn11 - I just tried the Arrow with james444's FX700: aooogaaah/yowzer/etc!

So does the fx700 break the paradigm with dynamics? Namely that unlike most dynamic IEMs, a portable amp actually improves sound quality? Or are you just referring to something like the arrow's crossfeed and lack of hiss?

May 2, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #341 of 4,123
There was a dynamic driver paradigm w/ amps? Odd, dynamics usually require more power than BA's to drive which usually means they respond to amping better. You realize Home Theaters and Car audio use dynamic drivers and they usually get amped.

May 2, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #342 of 4,123
Dynamic IEMs tend not to require portable amps to reach their full potential. BA IEMs, especially multi-armature IEMs do. It's not about loudness, as either type can get loud with the internal amp of most any DAP. Just that the sound of a BA IEM improves, while that of a dynamic doesn't. Obviously however, just because it applies to IEMs doesn't mean it applies to speakers.

May 2, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #343 of 4,123
Quote:

Dammit dfkt, now I'm tempted to buy one to compare with my XM5....

May 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #344 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynamic IEMs tend not to require portable amps to reach their full potential. BA IEMs, especially multi-armature IEMs do. It's not about loudness, as either type can get loud with the internal amp of most any DAP. Just that the sound of a BA IEM improves, while that of a dynamic doesn't. Obviously however, just because it applies to IEMs doesn't mean it applies to speakers.

I think the RE0, Monsters, etc would disagree w/ that. Dynamics require more power to drive than a BA, its simple physics of having to move more mass. You can play games w/ sensitivity and impedance to minimize that but 1 BA driver does not require the same amount of power to drive 1 Dynamic driver. Of course if you have 1 zillion BA's to drive you need some juice. Ergo I still maintain your 'paradigm' is more correctly associated w/ BA's than Dynamics simply from a scientific stand point; ceterus paribus (all things being equal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back