Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Apr 27, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #286 of 4,123
Has anyone tried the Arrow with low impedance IEMs (I.e. 16 ohms)? How do the two like each other?

BTW, does anyone know how many Arrow 12HE units were initially sold prior to the May 2010 shipment delay?

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #287 of 4,123
Has anbyody who ordered his Arrow late febuary/early march recieved his one yet?

A co-worker lend me his Arrow for a minute and while i'm fairly new to the wider hi-fi world i already could hear a big difference in sound.
My iPod never sounded so good.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #288 of 4,123
My arrow arrived five minutes ago! Woohoo!

Ordered it on 22nd March and it shipped on 10th April so just over a month from start to finish.

Haven't got chance to test it till later but its on charge getting ready for some serious spanking.

It is a very very sexy looking thing indeed.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #289 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My arrow arrived five minutes ago! Woohoo!

Ordered it on 22nd March and it shipped on 10th April so just over a month from start to finish.

Haven't got chance to test it till later but its on charge getting ready for some serious spanking.

It is a very very sexy looking thing indeed.

Indeed it is!! Enjoy!!

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #290 of 4,123
My arrow arrived today, woo hoo.

Ordered it on 22nd March.

It looks very very sexy.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #291 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My arrow arrived today, woo hoo.

Ordered it on 22nd March.

It looks very very sexy.

Oh??? Looks like our shipment made it out of Europe in time after all!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #292 of 4,123
Posting from a BlackBerry is not advised, folks, unless you like weird duplicate posting.

Did I tell you about my Arrow arriving today, by the way?

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #293 of 4,123
Hmm, i live next to germany (austria to be precise) and my Arrow was shipped on april 10th. Guess some guy at the tax-office is brooding about how much extra the state can charge me for it.

I hope you have fun with yours Bennyboy!!

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #294 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the Arrow with low impedance IEMs (I.e. 16 ohms)? How do the two like each other?

The Arrow works perfectly fine with even the most obnoxious over-efficient IEMs out there, like the SE530 or UE11. It's the second amp I've heard that accomplishes this - all other amps I've heard so far are as bad as your average MP3 player with those kinds of phones.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #295 of 4,123
XD any comparisons with the pico slim yet? im loath to wait for both of them. i understand quality requires dedication and time but from the time i order to the point of shipping i might have changed my address. (moving out of uni halls)

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #296 of 4,123
dfkt,

does the Arrow improve SQ with SE530 or UE11? I thought one reason to go for these very efficient, low impedance, but expensive phones is to do without headamp?

h0pkins,

mine shipped last month within Germany overnight. There should not be any customs clearance or VAT addition within EU.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #297 of 4,123
The problem with these kinds of phones is that they're too efficient, too sensitive, too powerful, too low impedance (or too wildly varying impedance over the frequency range) for most MP3 players' amps. And it seems the crossovers in those multi-armature designs make matters even more complicated.

There's a usually rather broad sweet spot where phones work well with MP3 players, but same as on the opposite end of the spectrum where you have 300 Ohm Sennheisers, or 600 Ohm Beyers, those (in reality, depending on frequency) 8(!)-20 Ohm IEMs with a sensitivity of sometimes over 120dB/mW don't work well with most MP3 players.

For example, the SE530 are especially bad when it comes to hiss: they hiss like mad with about anything - also with many fancy, high-priced headphone amps. I only know two, the Arrow and the Headsix, that don't hiss with the SE530. Another problem is that such IEM's low varying impedance affects stereo crosstalk (soundstage) and bass response (roll-off) in a negative way.

Basically, those "high end" IEMs need more issues "fixed" than some beefy full-sized phones in a portable rig. My HD650 only need to get louder and more dynamic to make them enjoyable, they don't have the issues that plagues my IEMs.
tongue.gif

So yeah, to answer your question, the Arrow definitely improves listening satisfaction with those kinds of IEMs a lot.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #298 of 4,123
In that case I am happy that I took the RE0 (single dynamic driver)! Sounds thin on iPod, but quite acceptable on MacBook.

Arrow + RE0 was more expensive than RE252 (single dynamic driver, but more efficient and lower impedance). However, now I can use almost any headphone.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #299 of 4,123
Well, with the Arrow you can use *any* headphone, not just almost.
wink.gif

Off topic: I have both those IEMs. The RE252's housing is terrible, even if they're a bit more precise than the RE0 - at least the RE0 have a 'normal' housing and can be worn over-the-ear. The RE0 are definitely worth $79, while the RE252 are absolutely not worth their asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back