Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Apr 11, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #271 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to say that I think the Arrow 12 HE is amazing for the price and drives all my IEMs to sound fantastic. Better than the other amps I have tried and much better than the DAP HPO! It scales well with DACs and paired with my film cap modded 5.5g, it is better than I thought possible from a portable setup!

Nice to hear someone else appreciates it as I do...it's a tough portable to beat regardless of price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggroll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It works now. The light wasn't turning green because the battery was fully charged. I'm charging it now after using it all day and the light's green.

I thought that might be what was happening
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #272 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by rehabitat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! Isn't it just the most violent rollercoaster you've ever tried? You MUST see them live before you die. Period.

As of tomorrow my life should begin to calm down. Wish me luck :wink:

May luck be with you, sir.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #273 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LeeMark-

Great that you're enjoying the Arrow already. As for settings, I just keep the bass at +1, crossfeed at 0, impedance at 0, and gain at 2. Definitely great bang for the buck, and awesome features offered for the cash.

I also find these to be a good "generic" settings. Unless the music is recorded at very low levels, (as with some older CDs) I prefer to listen at the lowest gain possible. I think higher gain can induce more noise with all amps (even if it isn't immediately discernible). If I'm in the mood for more bass (or the recording is thin) I'll kick the boost up to the next setting.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #274 of 4,123
As the saying goes...

Unless the 2 out of 3 is the LOD and Headphones but no amp
frown.gif

I now have a very nice LOD from Whiplash Audio and shiny new pair of HD650's and nothing but a crappy old cd player with a headphone out to start burning them in on.

Patiently waiting for my Arrow to go from "Order Processing" to "Shipped" so I can end up
smily_headphones1.gif

Steve

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #275 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by GouldPhoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the saying goes...

Unless the 2 out of 3 is the LOD and Headphones but no amp
frown.gif

I now have a very nice LOD from Whiplash Audio and shiny new pair of HD650's and nothing but a crappy old cd player with a headphone out to start burning them in on.

Patiently waiting for my Arrow to go from "Order Processing" to "Shipped" so I can end up
smily_headphones1.gif

Steve

I guess it's the old half empty/half full thing....at least you have something to look forward too
wink.gif

Do you have a receiver or speaker amp with HP out you can use in the meantime? Those 650s are tough to drive from a (portable?) CD player.
They don't sound too bad from my Yamaha CDC675, but it's a half-decent old CD player.
Burning those HPs in is more important than I used to believe. They sound much better now that they've got some time on them. I think some people get the 650s new and decide they don't like them before they ever loosen up diaphragm/drivers and hear them amped even to 80-> 85% of their potential.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #276 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it's the old half empty/half full thing....at least you have something to look forward too
wink.gif

Do you have a receiver or speaker amp with HP out you can use in the meantime? Those 650s are tough to drive from a (portable?) CD player.
They don't sound too bad from my Yamaha CDC675, but it's a half-decent old CD player.
Burning those HPs in is more important than I used to believe. They sound much better now that they've got some time on them. I think some people get the 650s new and decide they don't like them before they ever loosen up diaphragm/drivers and hear them amped even to 80-> 85% of their potential.

Its a full sized CD player with headphone out. They have been hooked up since they came in with a couple cd's on continuous loop. So they officially have about 3 hours on them. I was listening straight out of the box for a point of reference. Will listen again in the morning.
(I guess this should be in the headphone section, getting OT)

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #277 of 4,123
Quote:

I also find these to be a good "generic" settings. Unless the music is recorded at very low levels, (as with some older CDs) I prefer to listen at the lowest gain possible. I think higher gain can induce more noise with all amps (even if it isn't immediately discernible). If I'm in the mood for more bass (or the recording is thin) I'll kick the boost up to the next setting.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It works on most of my music. Thankfully I don't have any really demanding phones which take +3 for gain. Even my Ultrasones are okay with +2 on quiet recordings such as the Pink Floyd remaster of Comfortably Numb.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #278 of 4,123
Ok this maybe a very stupid noob question but is the IMP switch supposed to be similar to a Impedance/Resistance Adapters?

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #281 of 4,123
Anyone here using their Arrow w/ a 2009 iPod Classic? Do you find running the Classic @ max volume out to the Arrow causing distortion? (yeah, I know, probably mostly IEM-dependent) Is there a "sweet spot" for what volume to set the Classic?

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #282 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here using their Arrow w/ a 2009 iPod Classic? Do you find running the Classic @ max volume out to the Arrow causing distortion? (yeah, I know, probably mostly IEM-dependent) Is there a "sweet spot" for what volume to set the Classic?

I have a 6th Gen iPod Classic w/ the Arrow 12HE connected via mini to mini. I have my iPod volume set at 80-85% and seems to be pretty good.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #283 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With some phones added impedance might also remove a bit treble. In my experience that's noticeable especially with some multi-armature IEMs containing crossovers (could be a coincidence though).

It's even noticeable with HD650s. I always leave it on the lowest setting unless it is a vinyl rip with a lot of top end hiss (or it's an extremely harsh recording).

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #284 of 4,123
Quote:

It's even noticeable with HD650s. I always leave it on the lowest setting unless it is a vinyl rip with a lot of top end hiss (or it's an extremely harsh recording).

Agreeing with Hellenback (and dkft too). My multi-driver Shure SE530s produce a smidge o' hiss with IMP O so I've been using I and it's a beautiful thing. It *may* cut a little of the highs, but I'm not sure. My 150 Ohms Senns are super quiet so I drive them hard and leave the IMP on O. Otherwise, the highs are too recessed and quality recordings' snare drums aren't as snappy with the IMP on I or II.

Again I'm feeling so glad I settled on an amp with options. It's a treat, and monkeying with the settings for different recordings (or mood) doesn't get old.

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #285 of 4,123
I can definitely vouch for the battery life on the HE. I stopped topping off the charge on it and have already recharged my thin iMod's battery (which I just replaced with a new Apricorn 580mAH model) six times so far, with no slowdown of the Arrow yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back