Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Apr 9, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #256 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediaogre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so relieved I bought the Arrow. I was this close to dropping $400 on a competitor's product.

Me too. I'm enjoying its versatility as well. I haven't had any time for a more thoughtful listening session, but I can report that it drives my K601s just fine for a portable. However at this stage of mostly casual listening, I can't tell much difference between my 6g Ipod and the Arrow+Ipod driving my RE0s.

I will report back when life returns to normal
rolleyes.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #257 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggroll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...mine doesn't do that. The only light I get is a red one when its on
confused_face(1).gif

The lighted switch is supposed to be green when the switch is set to off and the amp is connected to and charging from the computer (or USB power adapter), orange when set to "on" and charging (it's just the red and green light on at the same time) and (always) red when disconnected from the USB charging port or fully charged and connected. I have a first gen. amp and didn't notice any changes mentioned on the site, where it still says:

• Illuminated Bi-Color Power Switch

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #258 of 4,123
Just got it from another user on Head-Fi, didn't know what to think at first, thought it was a little harsh, then twiddled with the dials and with imp on 0 or 1 and gain on 2, things started to tighten, and with Bass on 1 things really sounded very good. I need to to listen more, my TTVJ is out being fixed and I sold my shadow (TTVJ was better). I have compared it to the Predator, and though good, the Arrow was brighter and sharper in all frequencies in a good way. I seldom have extended periods to listen to compare well but I will try in the next few days to give a more lengthier opinion.

One question i have and it may be worth even starting another thread is what settings people use with the Arrow, this is a uniques aspect of this amp and I find that they really do alter the sound. I don't have the time to constantly change the settings for each type of music, so the best all around setting would be good.

This amp is incredible bang for the buck and it rivals my TTVJ and what I heard of the Pico slim. I would love to hear other opinions about this.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #259 of 4,123
LeeMark-

Great that you're enjoying the Arrow already. As for settings, I just keep the bass at +1, crossfeed at 0, impedance at 0, and gain at 2. Definitely great bang for the buck, and awesome features offered for the cash.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #262 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question i have and it may be worth even starting another thread is what settings people use with the Arrow, this is a uniques aspect of this amp and I find that they really do alter the sound. I don't have the time to constantly change the settings for each type of music, so the best all around setting would be good.

I've been switching between two settings for different headphones.

IEMs, SE530: BASS II, CROSS I, GAIN III, IMP I (I understand the crossfeed filter works well for older stereo recordings, but I've found that it works well with modern recordings that have harsh channel pans. On my IEMs pans are jarring and the crossfeed filter helps a lot.)

Cans, Senn HD500A: BASS I, CROSS O, GAIN III, IMP 0

Right now, those are my favorite sweet spots, but I do tend to experiment.

Results will vary. I don't think there's One Setting To Rule Them All, but I do think there's a good setting for every phone/DAC combo.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #263 of 4,123
So any one with JH13s have good settings?

Also, as soon as I get the TTVJ back I will write about the comparison. From what I remember, the arrow competes well with it, but I think the sound signature is different, maybe it is the "tubiness" of the TTVJ, as I seem to remember it being a little more "mellow".

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #264 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by rehabitat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will report back when life returns to normal
rolleyes.gif

There's a normal mode?!
wink.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'd love to hear your thoughts after things mellow out. (Thanks again for Dillinger Escape Plan. What a ride!)

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #265 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediaogre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a normal mode?!
wink.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'd love to hear your thoughts after things mellow out. (Thanks again for Dillinger Escape Plan. What a ride!)

LOL! Isn't it just the most violent rollercoaster you've ever tried? You MUST see them live before you die. Period.

As of tomorrow my life should begin to calm down. Wish me luck :wink:

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #267 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So any one with JH13s have good settings?

Also, as soon as I get the TTVJ back I will write about the comparison. From what I remember, the arrow competes well with it, but I think the sound signature is different, maybe it is the "tubiness" of the TTVJ, as I seem to remember it being a little more "mellow".

Great, thanks, looking forward to it!

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #269 of 4,123
I just wanted to say that I think the Arrow 12 HE is amazing for the price and drives all my IEMs to sound fantastic. Better than the other amps I have tried and much better than the DAP HPO! It scales well with DACs and paired with my film cap modded 5.5g, it is better than I thought possible from a portable setup!

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #270 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lighted switch is supposed to be green when the switch is set to off and the amp is connected to and charging from the computer (or USB power adapter), orange when set to "on" and charging (it's just the red and green light on at the same time) and (always) red when disconnected from the USB charging port or fully charged and connected. I have a first gen. amp and didn't notice any changes mentioned on the site, where it still says:

• Illuminated Bi-Color Power Switch

It works now. The light wasn't turning green because the battery was fully charged. I'm charging it now after using it all day and the light's green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back