Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Mar 13, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #121 of 4,123
I bet the Arrow would be a great match with DAP's with no sound tweaking capabilities, which supposedly are very clean sounding, like Zunes. If I'd been able to have this amp long ago, I'd have surely experimented with far more DAP's.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #123 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet the Arrow would be a great match with DAP's with no sound tweaking capabilities, which supposedly are very clean sounding, like Zunes. If I'd been able to have this amp long ago, I'd have surely experimented with far more DAP's.

That's exactly what I'm using it for, paired with my Cowon O2. While the O2 is the most botched and ass-backwards Cowon ever made, firmware-wise, it's somewhat "better" sounding than the rest (TI instead of Wolfson inside) and has very good video capabilities. It has none of Cowon's usual BBE sound enhancements in video mode - that's where the Arrow comes in more than handy.

Mar 14, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #124 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly what I'm using it for, paired with my Cowon O2. While the O2 is the most botched and ass-backwards Cowon ever made, firmware-wise, it's somewhat "better" sounding than the rest (TI instead of Wolfson inside) and has very good video capabilities. It has none of Cowon's usual BBE sound enhancements in video mode - that's where the Arrow comes in more than handy.

Man, that's excellent to hear. The flexibility it offers other non-adjustable DAP's is one of its strongest aspects IMO. And with its gain selections, it is driving my recabled Ultrasone 780's spectacularly.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #125 of 4,123
The higher the gain setting, the more rolled off the bass, it seems. Didn't really hear a difference with my own ears, though. Maybe I need to listen more closely. But then again, I don't intend to use the highest gain level - and it gives people with less desire for bass something to play around with.

10sb14o.png

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #126 of 4,123
Yeah, I can't hear it either. Since I only can use my Sony with headphone out right now, I need gain III for my Ultrasones. But once I get the ALO line out, I'm hoping that it'll supply a louder cleaner signal and I can back it down to II even for the Ultrasones.

Sure sounds great though to my ears even on III.....the Ultrasones have never had such treble sparkle, and mid presence (when running straight out of the Sony X, the mids are noticeably more sucked back).

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #127 of 4,123
Quote:

The higher the gain setting, the more rolled off the bass, it seems. Didn't really hear a difference with my own ears, though. Maybe I need to listen more closely. But then again, I don't intend to use the highest gain level - and it gives people with less desire for bass something to play around with.

10sb14o.png

I like your frequency graphs for different settings. I didn't know why, but even when using the 650s I tend to use the second gain setting with volume a little higher. I think the first batch of Arrows had a slightly lower db Bass boost on the highest setting (9db as opposed to 12).
Do you mind me asking what frequency response analyzer this is?

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #129 of 4,123
Quote:

I used RMAA for those graphs. I also use ARTA to double-check, and because it's real-time.

Thanks very much...and freeware to boot !
wink.gif

Just thought I'd mention this; Robert might not believe his amp benefits from burn in, but I'm either hearing things or this amp has gotten better with some time. Bass response seems noticeably tighter/deeper. I'm always reluctant to make statements like this because of our susceptibility to placebo effect. I suppose becoming accustomed to an amp's particular sound can also account for at least some of the perceived improvement .

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #130 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much...and freeware to boot !
wink.gif

Just thought I'd mention this; Robert might not believe his amp benefits from burn in, but I'm either hearing things or this amp has gotten better with some time. Bass response seems noticeably tighter/deeper. I'm always reluctant to make statements like this because of our susceptibility to placebo effect. I suppose becoming accustomed to an amp's particular sound can also account for at least some of the perceived improvement .

wink.gif

I 100% think this amp (as all others I have heard as well as op amps when rolling) benefit from burn in! One other thing that has really grown for me is the soundstage. And even with the bass boost off (I had to check), the Arrow makes some of my lower end IEMs just crank out the bass, too much bass!

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #134 of 4,123
Yeah, I'm a sucker for soundstage as well, and the Arrow opened my IE8/O2 combo up like I haven't heard it before.

Before I used an iBasso T4 between the O2 and IE8, and while it didn't make the sound worse, it didn't improve anything over the headphone out of the O2 - I just used it as a bass booster. Now, unfortunately, my worst player which I just use for watching videos in bed is unfortunately my best sounding rig, and I found myself shlepping that POS out on the streets, thanks to the Arrow...

Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does that mean fiio e5 is better or what?!

Like, totally!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back