Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Mar 15, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #136 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you use an O2 on the Arrow? I have an electrostatic amp for mine.

haha he was talking about his Cowon O2 DAP
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #137 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you use an O2 on the Arrow? I have an electrostatic amp for mine.

I think he means the Cowon O2 PMP.
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #141 of 4,123
This being my first amp and all I can't offer an expert opinion or get very technical, but I will say this. I've been listening to a bunch of different music ("Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby Mcgee" as I type this). All kinds of rock/metal/electronic...

I'm using the Arrow, Headstage USB DAC cable, and Senn 595's, listening to Flacs/MP3's in Foobar. The soundstage is incredible. It's like nothing I've experienced before. There are so many parts in songs that are "haunting" now. Like I've literally gotten shivers. I'm definitely enjoying it
smily_headphones1.gif

I think Robert has a winner with this one.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #143 of 4,123
Should work well with the i9, just find optimal output volume with no effects on. Cowons tend to have good signals, so maybe top volume or back off by one and input and what ever volume you want from the Arrow. Should work fine. Cowons are very good for amping.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #144 of 4,123
I've found that if you're not using much by way of effects or EQ, that max volume works well on my S9. I assume it would be the same on the i9. I have some light EQing to help bring up the mids on my TF10 and it doesn't seem to present any problems. But if you use the presets like Mach3Bass or whatever, you seem to have to back off the volume a few ticks to avoid distortion.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #145 of 4,123
The Wolfson DAC-equipped Cowons work indeed fine without distortion on their highest volume level. For heavier effects like ViVA 2 and such I use volume 35/40 as output level on my S9/i9. It works fine without clipping and still has most of the dynamic range the DAC can provide.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #146 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This being my first amp and all I can't offer an expert opinion or get very technical, but I will say this. I've been listening to a bunch of different music ("Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby Mcgee" as I type this). All kinds of rock/metal/electronic...

I'm using the Arrow, Headstage USB DAC cable, and Senn 595's, listening to Flacs/MP3's in Foobar. The soundstage is incredible. It's like nothing I've experienced before. There are so many parts in songs that are "haunting" now. Like I've literally gotten shivers. I'm definitely enjoying it
smily_headphones1.gif

I think Robert has a winner with this one.

He really does, with its combination of useful features, and the price which is $100 cheaper than the other ultra slim/small portables that have hit lately.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #147 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He really does, with its combination of useful features, and the price which is $100 cheaper than the other ultra slim/small portables that have hit lately.

But if you could only choose one of these slim/small portables, which would you choose, and why? Mmmmmm....................

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #148 of 4,123
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if you could only choose one of these slim/small portables, which would you choose, and why? Mmmmmm....................

I had to and did (hence the comments in this and other Arrow threads).

I haven't heard the Pico Slim but if it isn't an improvement on the original Pico I prefer the Arrow. The SQ is pretty close, (likely due to the same op-amp in both of these well implemented amps) but (IMO) the Arrow stomps it on value, features and form factor. I've compared the Tomahawk and the iBasso T4 and although good amps, they just don't do it like the Arrow does. I haven't heard the Shadow but it's a specific design for IEMs so if you could only choose one...
wink.gif
. From what other respected members have said, it seems the Arrow is every bit as good or better with low imp IEMs as any of the other amps released at this time.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #149 of 4,123
Agreed Hellenback. I haven't heard some of the other amps you have (but I have heard the Shadow- and the Arrow betters it from my memory), but do own the Rx. To my ears the Arrow is sonically very very close to the Rx, if not the equal, and can drive my Ultrasones better with its adjustable gain. Plus, if you consider the form factor, features which follow the amp to whatever DAP you care to throw at it, and the price, you wind up with a winning combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back