Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Mar 31, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #3,016 of 4,123
I really like the auto off function on my 4G. The slim form factor is a winner for me. Combined with a sound that I am fairly sure is pretty much as good as it gets.
One thing though. Does anyone get any effect from the cross feed function? I cannot hear any difference.

Some occasions when figuring out if it does anything i have heard minor difference, not in a good way. Isn't crossfeed supposed to balance out left and right channel? I have plenty of ACDC, and quite a bit of their songs start out with only in one channel... crossfeeding it with Arrow 4G doesn't really do anything to that, it's still just in one channel :/

Edit: okey it certainly works, hook your HP:s to pc with arrow, go to your sound device configuration in windows, only have other iem/side of the headphone on your head, and play the sound from the other side in the conf menu, its pretty silent on the other channel, but with crossfeed enabled, it's little bit more.

IMO i'd like to have stronger crossfeed for some occasions. Even to the extent of playing it "mono" trough both channels.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #3,017 of 4,123
Isn't crossfeed supposed to balance out left and right channel?

As I understand the idea is to feed a little of the right chanel into the left and vice versa to try and recreate some of the experience of listening to speakers.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #3,018 of 4,123
As I understand the idea is to feed a little of the right chanel into the left and vice versa to try and recreate some of the experience of listening to speakers.

Try the intro of this song with and without crossfeed. Notice how the sound moves slightly in front of you instead of mono from 1 channel.

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #3,019 of 4,123

ah yes, balance is some what wrong word here since its related with balancing volume. I dont think its to get more speaker like sound, could be, since it's not doing a good job mixing the channels fully to get rid of issues where only one channel has sound in some songs, witch is really annoying with iems.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3,020 of 4,123
I don't think the 5G is going to be a huge improvement (if any) unless you want/need a redbook DAC with the Arrow in one unit. I think I remember reading on the headphonja forum that the same DAC chip is used as in the first "Line-DAC" from Headstage but that could be changed to the 2nd gen.

You gain a basic DAC (which is great if you need one) but from the specs I've read you lose the auto-off function and get a lighted on/off toggle as in the first gen Arrow. There is also supposed to be a digital volume control.
What do u mean red book dac? Like cd audio? Anyway I probably won't use the dac function but I love my analog volume pot and auto on/off so I'll probably just keep my 4g

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #3,026 of 4,123
  Jup, I ordered one to pair with my Galaxy S1 and HIFIMAN RE-272's. Now let the waiting begin. 

great iem , 3 years in love with it and running

arrow is one great little ampand completely transparent - you will love it

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #3,027 of 4,123
I can't believe anyone would be any other portable amp than the arrow, ridiculous battery, auto off, multiple imputs and headphone outs (great for ABing), crazy thin, bass and treble boost and it sounds great and can drive almost anything. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #3,028 of 4,123

It's particularly useful for listening to jazz, recordings will usually have instruments separated quite wide in the mix, so in headphones it sounds very unatural, like the sax and trumpet are at opposite ends of the room. crossfeed corrects that a bit. Although the arrow cross is very subtle.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #3,029 of 4,123
  I can't believe anyone would be any other portable amp than the arrow, ridiculous battery, auto off, multiple imputs and headphone outs (great for ABing), crazy thin, bass and treble boost and it sounds great and can drive almost anything. 

Mainly because there are better sounding portable amps out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back