Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Apr 5, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #3,031 of 4,123
Mainly because there are better sounding portable amps out there.

I'm afraid I have to agree. I thought the Arrow was the bee knees. And it is with my IE8's.
With my HD 600's and now some Final Audio IEM's that I am trying, both much more revealing 'phones, the Arrow just does not sound good. The only other amp I have is an O2. It really shows the Arrow up sound wise.
A great shame as it is a brick.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #3,032 of 4,123
I'm afraid I have to agree. I thought the Arrow was the bee knees. And it is with my IE8's.
With my HD 600's and now some Final Audio IEM's that I am trying, both much more revealing 'phones, the Arrow just does not sound good. The only other amp I have is an O2. It really shows the Arrow up sound wise.
A great shame as it is a brick.

Try the UHA-6SMKII, it can match if not beat O2. Not a brick but I wish it's thin as the arrow.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #3,033 of 4,123
Well, when it comes to power and portability plus adjustment features, the arrows are unbeatable. ..
sound is sure something subjective, but all these other "portable" amps...portable is a joke...

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #3,034 of 4,123
Portability, power and the reason for using an amp has become subjective as SQ these days. I sure am interested to hear the arrow but giving heavier weight on SQ compared to O2/Leckerton amps which are my reference amp in terms of power and transparency. Sure, the only thing that keeps me interested is the slim profile. If it does beat or matches O2 or the UHA-6SMKII then it's no brainer for me. Unfortunately, comparisons between the above mentioned amps are far in between at best.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #3,037 of 4,123
The truth is the difference between portable amps is miniscule, far smaller than the difference between phones. Even the difference between a portable amp and full desktop is far smaller than the difference between headphones. I use my arrow with plenty of very revealing headphones (AD2000x for example) and it sounds fantastic. It's fine for people to disagree but it annoys me when people say "With my HD 600's and now some Final Audio IEM's that I am trying, both much more revealing 'phones, the Arrow just does not sound good." That's just not true.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #3,038 of 4,123
One of the biggest issues when people compare is that they never volume match, or they do it by ear (ie highly inaccurate).  The only way to make a valid comparison (even acknowledging that its highly subjective) is to volume match as closely as possible - then a/b.

It's pretty easy to do too - all you need is an spl meter (even an app with a smartphone is better than nothing), a constant tone (I use 1 khz test tone), and a set-up that allows same placement of microphone each time.

Its amazing how many formerly perceived differences disappear when the volume on two devices is exactly the same.

FTR - when I had it, I loved my Arrow with just about everything - including the HD600.  I sometimes think that I may have been far better off just sticking with a 64Gb iTouch4 + Arrow - than moving into the changing world of the new HiRes players.  If Apple came out with a 64Gb Touch with expandable memory, or a 128Gb version - I'd just repurchase the Arrow, sell my other DAPs and I'd be done 
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #3,039 of 4,123
  One of the biggest issues when people compare is that they never volume match, or they do it by ear (ie highly inaccurate).  The only way to make a valid comparison (even acknowledging that its highly subjective) is to volume match as closely as possible - then a/b.

It's pretty easy to do too - all you need is an spl meter (even an app with a smartphone is better than nothing), a constant tone (I use 1 khz test tone), and a set-up that allows same placement of microphone each time.

Its amazing how many formerly perceived differences disappear when the volume on two devices is exactly the same.

FTR - when I had it, I loved my Arrow with just about everything - including the HD600.  I sometimes think that I may have been far better off just sticking with a 64Gb iTouch4 + Arrow - than moving into the changing world of the new HiRes players.  If Apple came out with a 64Gb Touch with expandable memory, or a 128Gb version - I'd just repurchase the Arrow, sell my other DAPs and I'd be done 
wink.gif

I also think you need a switch device, plugging and unplugging takes too long to assess very small differences. I've been using an iMod with a 240gb solid state drive with my arrow. Blu-tac'd together it's only 2cm thick. I still think that's too much though, both the size and the need for interconnects, so I've ordered one of these new Sony players.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #3,040 of 4,123
. It's fine for people to disagree but it annoys me when people say "With my HD 600's and now some Final Audio IEM's that I am trying, both much more revealing 'phones, the Arrow just does not sound good." That's just not true.

By "people" I take it you mean me. I am sorry if it annoys you but I am just reporting what I hear.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #3,042 of 4,123
By "people" I take it you mean me. I am sorry if it annoys you but I am just reporting what I hear.

Its all good - people are allowed opinions.  Question for you though - did you volume match (using an spl rather than 'by ear') before you made the comparison?  I see you have an iPhone - so you could download an SPL app.  Assuming you didn't, would you be prepared to volume match this time, and then compare again?  Would be interesting to see if your thoughts change.  Given you 'sig' (The human brain is a lot cleverer than 4' of wire.)  I'd imagine you'd be game to try 
wink.gif

The other thing to do is simply to turn the Arrow volume up slightly.  I'm afraid I'm one of those who found your earlier statement quite puzzling. Unless the newer Arrows changed SQ - I always thought mine was pretty much wire with gain when I owned it.  And it sounded great with the HD600 to me.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #3,043 of 4,123
You are both right.
I should know better than to post vague information.
Placebo and expectation make evaluating equipment very difficult.
Measurements are a way of hanging on to sanity!
I will download that app and explore further.
Although I totally agree with your rigour, all I was trying to do was listen to a bit of music!
The Arrow did not sound "nice" and the O2 sounded "better". FWIW a friend said the same without prompting.
I will attempt to be more analytical when I get a moment.
In the meantime no offence meant or taken!

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #3,044 of 4,123
Like I said - there is no right or wrong with this - just opinion .... and the pursuit of knowledge.

Post back about the volume thing if you get the chance to do a test genuinely interested.  Using an spl meter opened my eyes about a lot of the differences I "thought" I heard.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back