Headstage Arrow 12 HE 4G
May 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:
Why would any well designed amp need a bass boost and treble boost?

I don't see how EQing has any relation to the amp at all. A neutral amp does nothing but pass a signal through. Bass boost is obviously for headphones or tracks that could use more bass. Treble boost the same. 

May 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #17 of 26
Why would any well designed amp need a bass boost and treble boost?

My McIntosh two-channel receiver has bass, midrange and treble controls and thier products are definitely well designed and highly regarded!

May 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #18 of 26
Hi guys, I'm planning to purchase the Arrow 12HE4g as my next portable amp. I'm just wondering if I can use the Arrow 12HE 4g as a desktop amp? What I have in mind is do a miniUSB -> USB cable from the laptop to the amp. I am very thankful if anyone can help me.

May 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm planning to purchase the Arrow 12HE4g as my next portable amp. I'm just wondering if I can use the Arrow 12HE 4g as a desktop amp? What I have in mind is do a miniUSB -> USB cable from the laptop to the amp. I am very thankful if anyone can help me.

yes you can use the arrow as an amp to your laptop

no you dont use usb to connect the arrow to your laptop, but a 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect to connect to your laptops headphone out to the arrows line in. and you connect your headphones to the arrow's headphone out.

HTH

May 30, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #22 of 26
That cable interests me for laptop use. My HRT Streamer is used for my desktop and I wouldn't want to carry it around with a laptop. I figured first see if I like the 4G and then go from there.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #23 of 26
I realize this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I am considering a purchase of the Arrow amp and wonder if anyone has experience with this amp and highly sensitive IEM's? How well might the Arrow pair with IEM's like the Klipsch Image X10 in ear headphones, which are rated at 50 ohms and a sensitivity of 110 dB SPL/mW (1 mW). I also listen to a pair of Klipsch Custom-3′s rated at 32 ohms and 115 dB SPL/mW (1 mW).

My other question is on channel imbalance. After reading about the new JDS Labs C5 and the quest to correct channel imbalance at low volumes, I wonder how the Arrow sounds at low volumes? I have it narrowed down to these two amps, and the price difference is quite steep. $187 for the C5 compared to $299 for the Arrow.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #24 of 26
As others struggle with the E17 (mostly digital issues but also brightness), I feel I should chime in on how great the Arrow is!  This is the first time I've heard IEMs sound so natural, and in so many different dimensions.  While the E7 for example seems a revelation due to the level of detail, one listen to the Arrow shows it to be so much more neutral and able to pass subtleties in texture, harmonics, dynamics, transients, and smooth frequency response to the upper treble.  Naturalness and insight into the performance is what I notice.  I hear things I've never heard from headphones from familiar music. Even imaging is improved, mostly in the sense of dimensionality of each instrument.  

At $300 it is 5 times better than a $150 amp!  It is like changing from a low-end op-amp to tube amps.  I don't know how he did it, but this is a high-end product, about the size of 10 business cards.  The features are terrific, but it is so neutral that all I use is the low level of crossfade when there are pure L or R mono instruments in the mix, like old Beatles stereo.  

I've just returned to the website after over a month of solid listening, so I'm not yet aware of threads that might be singing its praises.  

Only drawback is that it is far more sensitive to RF noise from my iPhone to which I strap it than was my E7.  But it is still worth it! 

PS: one major reason I get such great performance is that I pair them with the Phonak PFE 232. Each shows the other to be tremendous value... yes value for a $600 universal IEM. 

I guess you know that turning your iPhone to Airplane mode I. Settings solves this. Obviously you cannot receive calls ( a good thing in my book!) or stream audio (bad).

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #25 of 26
My other question is on channel imbalance. After reading about the new JDS Labs C5 and the quest to correct channel imbalance at low volumes, I wonder how the Arrow sounds at low volumes? I have it narrowed down to these two amps, and the price difference is quite steep. $187 for the C5 compared to $299 for the Arrow.

Thanks in advance for any information.

I am also looking at these two options at the moment. I have not found any comparisons so far between the C5 and Arrow 4g. Hopefully soon...

Everyone who has tried the C5 has nothing but praise for it. But a comparison would be nice.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #26 of 26

The range of settings of the arrow are very good, but a word about the gain setting is needed: it has secondary effects that, in my experience, trump the consideration of gain itself.  

My preferred setting in terms of amplifier sound: I set all EQ flat, crossfade off... and set the gain at the "|" or middle setting.  This last bit is ultra-important, independent of the EQ settings.  This all-analog amp seems to use the amount of negative feedback as a way of setting gain, as many analog amps do.

On the lowest gain setting, the feedback is higher; this causes an artifact: a bit of overshoot in the treble that makes it feel forward and emphasizes if not creates sibilance or higher into the treble (above female "s" sounds).  It also makes the tonal balance flatter, meaning less warm, tilting in the direction of analytical (but not so in absolute terms).  Detail is pushed forward, but that detaches it slightly from the body of instruments and voices, making it slightly more high-fi than high-end, so to speak.

The medium gain/feedback does not induce an overshoot or emphasis in the treble, a key criterion for me.  Medium gain setting also allows the midrange to bloom a bit, making it sound more musical and 3D with both my high-impedance HD650 and 47-ohm PFE 232.  

And, the highest gain just doesn't provide enough negative feedback to tame a different brightness in the treble (perhaps inherent non-linearity of the gain circuit).   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back