HEADSIX vs. MOVE vs. MINI 3 vs HORNET: Portable Amp Showdown
Jan 8, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, I'd like to see the Mini^3 compared to the Little Dot Mk I and the iBasso P2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Seeing as people rank it higher than the SR-71 and the SR-71 is $395 I would think it would be able to beat both of those... But the Mk I and P2 might be even better so I'm not sure.

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares what opamps are used in an application. The final word is the SQ and ...I think too many people focus on what parts are used rather than what it sounds like. Aesthetics are one thing, but who cares what components are if it SOUNDS good???

well, subjectively speaking, it's "sound quality". Objectively speaking it's "distortion".

In the end, it all boils down to the kind of "distortion" that we want. Better/advance designs may "measure better", but if the "distortion it brings" is not as much/akin to those such as the "Move" or etc, then there's no point of loving it as an amp.
wink.gif
I've had similar experience where my friend prefers Resistors as CCS over theoretically better CCSes such as JFETs and other active CCSes etc.

Though i believe my "distortion" way of looking at audiophilia is true, i hardly see anyone "admits" it.
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ranking it better than the SR-71 or Hornet which are like 3 times the price? It must be some piece of equipment...

Yes, it is a very good piece of equipment.

A couple of points, though.

The first is that there are not gigantic differences in overall SQ between the Mini3 and the SR71 (IMHO) but they do have considerable differences in presentation and sound signature.

The RSA SR-71 is slightly fuller, richer, slightly better bass extension and better midrange but at the cost of soundstage breadth, depth and detail. This may not be a technical allegory but I find the SR-71 to be like a good late night jazz club atmosphere - close, intimate. The Mini3 is a wider detail-rich concert location.

The second point is that the SR71 comes from one source across the globe - consistency. The Mini3 is built by a number of different people with different parts choices. Mine was built by FordGTLover, not Rockhopper. Whether that makes a slight SQ difference or not I cannot comment on. I doubt it, but it is a consideration.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is a very good piece of equipment.

A couple of points, though.

The first is that there are not gigantic differences in overall SQ between the Mini3 and the SR71 (IMHO) but they do have considerable differences in presentation and sound signature.

The RSA SR-71 is slightly fuller, richer, slightly better bass extension and better midrange but at the cost of soundstage breadth, depth and detail. This may not be a technical allegory but I find the SR-71 to be like a good late night jazz club atmosphere - close, intimate. The Mini3 is a wider detail-rich concert location.

The second point is that the SR71 comes from one source across the globe - consistency. The Mini3 is built by a number of different people with different parts choices. Mine was built by FordGTLover, not Rockhopper. Whether that makes a slight SQ difference or not I cannot comment on. I doubt it, but it is a consideration.

so now i wonder since i have the headsix is there any need to upgrade to a new portable amp? maybe a mini 3, pico, or either rsa? the lisa is out my price range.

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so now i wonder since i have the headsix is there any need to upgrade to a new portable amp? maybe a mini 3, pico, or either rsa? the lisa is out my price range.

Based on SQ alone, personally, I'd say No, there isn't a need for you to upgrade.

However if it was possible to audition some of the alternatives via loans from (or mini-meets with) fellow HeadFiers, I'd suggest that could prove of interest to you. Maybe you'd hear something that'd spur change but it could equally just confirm for you that you've found the best equipment synergy for your ears.

Of course there are also all the non-SQ factors - size, options like opamp rolling, etc, depending on whether those are important enough factors to spur you to consider change.

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, I'd like to see the Mini^3 compared to the Little Dot Mk I and the iBasso P2.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a mini^3 and a Little Dot Mk1 winging their way to me. I'll let you know what I find with them both.

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #22 of 28
I've only had Mini3, Headsix and Move.
For the sound, my ranking would be:
1. Move (a fairly large improvement over the other two.)
2. Headsix
3. Mini3 (not so inferior to Headsix, but still not as good.)

Put in words for comparison, I think both Corda's amp is more refined in their spacial control of sounds. They are also a little more transparent than Mini3. And Move is better in most regards to the XXS/Headsix.

But Mini3 did scored more in bass impact. It got more power in bass presentation and score some here. The spatial presentation of Mini3 is wide enough but lack the depth of Corda's two amps.
It did the treble fairly but in comparison, it just can't beat it's opponent. But you must consider the price difference.

So, I think Mini3 is good enough but if you want a more perfect portable amp, one should go for the Move or Headsix, depending on whether you need the DAC & crossfeed part or not.
For me, the crossfeed feature doesn't make much difference but Move's amp section does be better than Headsix. So I ended up with a Move.
In addition, I built a Mini3 for myself. Just in case I need different sound feeling.

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #23 of 28
If all you're considering is the sound of the amp... isn't the Move/HeadSix amp "leaving the others in the dust" in this survey (if you add their responses together) - since the amp in these two is the same?

It is great with Senns for sure.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #25 of 28
from my experience, i [prefer the sound] in this order pair with my HD6x0. Price, features, brand, and appearance having no impact on my preference.

predator w/dac, mini^3 (source=opus or dac1), pico w/dac

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by killkli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the amp is not the same for Move and Headsix.
Move is better than Headsix/XXS.
This I would say for sure.

Absolutely... wrong...

Jan Meier... has personally assured me they are identical - though, the amp in the Headsix/XXS has fewer features (e.g. gain adjustment, crossfeed, etc.)... and... that they sound identical... when they're both at the same settings (obviously they'll sound a bit different with different gain and crossfeed settings).

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely... wrong...

Jan Meier... has personally assured me they are identical - though, the amp in the Headsix/XXS has fewer features (e.g. gain adjustment, crossfeed, etc.)... and... that they sound identical... when they're both at the same settings (obviously they'll sound a bit different with different gain and crossfeed settings).

I got the same response from Dr. Meier. For some reason certain members do not want to accept it.
confused.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #28 of 28
FWIW
I have listened to Mini^3 (by MisterX) and I own the Corda Move and a portable pimeta (by rockhopper).
IMO the Move is better than the pimeta.
Both I and the mini^3 owner agreed that the pimeta was better than the mini^3.
I never listened to the headsix nor to the hornet.
Just my few cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back