Headset Help
Oct 11, 2007 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

swmaxxx

Head-Fier
I have been searching high and low for a good headset that will take advantage of my expensive sound card. I need the mic for gaming. Right now I own Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA. They suck. I'm wanting more quality but I do still want surround sound. Thanks for the help.

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It needs to be under $300. I'm new to this so I'm not sure what you mean by open and closed.

open meaning sound leakage. you can hear your surrounds and they can hear your music

closed is the opposite. you get some degree of isolation but people around you can't hear what you're listening to

300 can get you far...and, as overlord said, its best to go good headphones + mic

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 23
Well I understand that the headphone + mic is better but thats not what i titled it. i'm looking for a headset. and it can be open or closed. whatever is better. any suggestions?

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 23
well, there just aren't that many audiophiles here who use headsets. But sennheiser has some good headset(HMD-25-1(over your price range) and HMD 280 pro) but the cost about 100 more than the base headphones so you're just paying 100 for sennheiser to actach a microphone.

AKG has the HSC 271 a derived from K 271 Studio headphones
again you'll be paying alot for them to attach a mic to a good base model headphone.

AKG HSD200SR is good I think it's a AKG k100 derived model

you'lll be getting alot more quality for your money if you buy the mic and hedphones seperately

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Well I understand that the headphone + mic is better but thats not what i titled it. i'm looking for a headset. and it can be open or closed. whatever is better. any suggestions?

The majority here don't like gaming headsets.. Cheap build quality & poor sound.. So I doubt most will be of little help to you.. You might as well go to a computer gaming board, or something similar..

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 23
Just use the mic in the headset you've already got, just rest it round your neck and stick the mic up. I do this, and have seen plenty of others do the same. Then you can invest that $300 in a nice pair of headphones.
Have a read around the forums to see what headphones sound right for you.

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 23
Hi,
I have a Zalman clip-on mic for ~$12 with a DT880'05. The mic works fantastic, and of course my headphones own
tongue.gif
I agree with everyone else - in fact, it is head-fi wisdom that it is better to grab a clip on mic or such with a real headphone. I reckon you'll be better off that way, especially with such a nice budget you have set.

Good luck
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 23
I've been doing some thinking and I think I will up the budget to $400 and get the Zalman ZM-MIC 1 Headphone Mic. I will use the headphones for movies, music, and a whole lot of gaming. I also like the idea of having surround sound in headphones. Any suggestions?

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

I've been doing some thinking and I think I will up the budget to $400 and get the Zalman ZM-MIC 1 Headphone Mic. I will use the headphones for movies, music, and a whole lot of gaming. I also like the idea of having surround sound in headphones. Any suggestions?

The dt770/80's are a good start. I've used them for a lot of gaming, and trust me, people don't like the results because they position sound so well. You can get that 'phone for as low on $150 on ebay I think. You can add an amp to that for about $100>; the amp forum would provide more info on that.

Good luck
tongue.gif

*edit* Oh btw, the dt770/80 is not a surround sound headphone, but it has a nice soundstage, which is like having surround sound in some respects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back