heads up: philips dvp-642 dvd player brilliant.
Oct 14, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #106 of 133
philips always had a reputation of making good sounding cheap cd and dvdplayers. Quality wise it is a mixed bag...some are better, some are not that great. The philips pro units are widely used in the high end players around the world, good transports.

Oct 14, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #107 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Mine clicks as well but it is only (faintly) audible when I put my ear right up to it never in normal use it has to compete with a notebook fan, fridge and air conditioning - but clicking DVD players are a common problem - our two other DVD players (Panasonic and JVC) click big time - oddly the Philips is by far the quietest of the three which came as a surprise to me as this clicking was a recurrent theme in the Amazon reviews I read.

However, a click that has gotten louder may be a sign of a transport that needs fixing - this happened with my Rotel CD player - that was a simple clamp fix and Rotel did it free.

You guys mean the clicks in sound when you playback stereo cd's on dvdplayer? Use a good cdplayers, problem solved. I don't hear clicks in DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1, only with stereo playback with cd's.

Oct 14, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #108 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
You guys mean the clicks in sound when you playback stereo cd's on dvdplayer? Use a good cdplayers, problem solved. I don't hear clicks in DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1, only with stereo playback with cd's.

I mean a mechanical clicking from the transport. Actually only 2 of my 9 CD players have been truly silent in terms of transport noise (an old Rotel and a really cheap Yamaha) all the others have had some transport noise but generally not enough to be irritating, even the NAD my most modern CD player has an audible transport noise.

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #109 of 133
if anyone has this and also a several hundred dollar surround receiver:

for cd performance did you find the dac to be better in the dvp642 or the receiver? ie, did you prefer the dvp642's analog conections or a s/pdif cable?

i am hard pressed on that one. i found the dvp642 not to really shine unless it was conected digitally. this was with much more expensive dacs though. with a $200-$400 receiver i wonder how the dvp642's dac would compare.

music_man

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #110 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
i am hard pressed on that one. i found the dvp642 not to really shine unless it was conected digitally. this was with much more expensive dacs though. with a $200-$400 receiver i wonder how the dvp642's dac would compare.

music_man

Well, I have mine connected to a rather modest $35 Entech 203.2 Number Cruncher and I have to say that I find the comparison between the Analog out and the Digital...203.2 to be too close to call - the 203.2 has a higher voltage output but other than that I cannot say that one is noticeably better/worse than the other. I typically listen via the Number Cruncher and I am more than happy - for $100 it is a very nice combo.

I was so impressed by the Phillips that I ended up selling off my NAD C542 as I just stopped using it.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #111 of 133
I was mentioning to the Wife how unreliable these things are supposed to be and three hours later the coax connection craps out - the optical works so probably just a poor connection but irritating nevertheless, Ho Huim.

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #112 of 133
i have now encountered several of these units that suffer from the clicking issue. it is the drive cam making the noise. all but the most expensive players have nylon gears/cams. nylon is self lubricating. make sure it is on a level surface and run it for 40 hours straight with a cd(not dvd it spins too fast).

this self repaired all the units i heard with this issue.

music_man

Nov 8, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #113 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
I was mentioning to the Wife how unreliable these things are supposed to be and three hours later the coax connection craps out - the optical works so probably just a poor connection but irritating nevertheless, Ho Huim.

Isn't your unit still under warranty?

Nov 10, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #116 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Isn't your unit still under warranty?

Dunno, cant find the receipt and I never sent off the warranty card - but I think the problem is just a loose connection. Its a nuisance but not the end of the world it is not like it is a $750 player or anything. Though I do not think I would buy another one, I rather fancy the looks of the Oppo 970H, I might get the wife to get me one for Xmas...

Nov 10, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #117 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
i guess this is not my lucky day! you may have seen my spray dust disaster thread in diy this morning. now one of my dvp-642's just blew it's analog stage!

music_man

Ouch, mind you, you dont rate the analog stage anyway so it isnt a big loss ?

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #118 of 133
even though i was not using it i kind of like the whole thing to be in working order. i did find that the analog out is better than (some)8 year old high end dacs. no surprise. there have been big advances in dacs.

music_man

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #119 of 133
now that i have used an assortment of these, i must say the quality is hit or miss.

has anyone had one that cuts off the first 3 seconds of track one(cd) when play is pushed from a dead stop. the unit keeps spinning for about 5 minutes after stop is pushed or it is turned on. to test this, power on,insert cd, wait 5 minutes,listen that it is not moving. press play. missing something?
the units that are affected with this seem to be mostly the ones with the loud clicking issue. it is the cam drive on the sled that has burrs on the nylon from the mold release. some will not even work in as i had mentioned.

if you wish, please test them and post the results here.
remember, make sure it is completely stopped before you press play.

music_man

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #120 of 133
all this time i have overlooked the most obvious!
if you are having any trouble with this unit (such as clicking) put a level on top of it.

it turns out that the feet on the bottom are not centered on all of them. there is a hump around the feet where they fit into an indent. if any of the feet are not centered and resting on these humps it can put the unit off by as much as 1/4". this is enough for this unit to make it's performance dismal.

once they are centered in the indents not only does it fix the clicking problem(if you are lucky) it takes the sonics up another notch at least.
also, consider putting a dead weight on it. you do not need a gutwire notepad. just get the type of beanbag that has sand instead of beans.

once again this $50 little guy does not fail to impress me.

music_man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back