heads up: philips dvp-642 dvd player brilliant.
Sep 12, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #76 of 133
Nice condescension and "The man who would be mod" monologue.
wink.gif
The summation of which is ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
...I am not saying that the specs on the 642 make it a better or worse player but they do make it a different player...

The 5100 is a cheap philips DivX player (like the dvp 642) that other members, (we're not all in the US) might also come across, and I'm just sharing that its not all that good (Audio or Video) IMO. So that no one else picks it up. I'm also expressing the opinion that it can't be that different from the 642, same DAC etc. Its not even close to my mediocre HiFi. I'm truely sorry if that has sullied the purity of "your" thread.
plainface.gif
I'll say no more about it. Perhaps this link will restore your bonhomie http://www.triumphspitfire.nl/brochures.html
cool.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #77 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Nice condescension and "The man who would be mod" monologue.
wink.gif

The 5100 is a cheap philips DivX player (like the dvp 642) that other members, (we're not all in the US) might also come across, and I'm just sharing that its not all that good (Audio or Video) IMO. So that no one else picks it up. I'm also expressing the opinion that it can't be that different from the 642, same DAC etc. Its not even close to my mediocre HiFi. I'm truely sorry if that has sullied the purity of "your" thread.
plainface.gif
I'll say no more about it. Perhaps this link will restore your bonhomie http://www.triumphspitfire.nl/brochures.html
cool.gif

Sigh - Mea Culpa - I must admit to a bit of mischief here i.e. disputation for its own sake and I probably overegged it, I meant no offence, but as a fellow european(?) I am heartened to see condescension used correctly.

On a side note I find it amusing that debate which can get really heated over $1000 CD players and $500 headphones can get equally heated over $60 DVD players and $60 amps - with such human behaviour thus starting wars is child's play.

Sep 12, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #78 of 133
Quote:

The 5100 is a cheap philips DivX player (like the dvp 642) that other members, (we're not all in the US) might also come across, and I'm just sharing that its not all that good (Audio or Video) IMO. So that no one else picks it up. I'm also expressing the opinion that it can't be that different from the 642, same DAC etc.

Just curious, do you mind sharing where you found the DAC information? If different chipsets were used in the 5100 and 642, likely they have different DAC's (perhaps built-in to chipset even?)

Sep 12, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #79 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by odmanca
Just curious, do you mind sharing where you found the DAC information? If different chipsets were used in the 5100 and 642, likely they have different DAC's (perhaps built-in to chipset even?)

I searched a lot for this but apart from both having 192khz/24 bit Audio DACs you cannot find out who made them - I tried to get this from Philips but they wanted me to phone them and the Philips web site and various Philips forums could not enlighten me any more - good luck, if you find out let me know.

Sep 12, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #80 of 133
i do not find the dvp642's analog outputs that great. as a transport i find it as good as any other transport at any price. sure, it is not built nearly as well but mine still are working after hundreds of hours.

this is to my personal ears. now one can be childish and say i have a hearing problem or what have you. or someone could simply sit back and read this post with a grain of salt. the most important thing is as always, YMMV!

music_man

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #81 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
I searched a lot for this but apart from both having 192khz/24 bit Audio DACs you cannot find out who made them - I tried to get this from Philips but they wanted me to phone them and the Philips web site and various Philips forums could not enlighten me any more - good luck, if you find out let me know.

hciman77:
I also had a hard time finding the DAC info. That's why I was wondering how Sparky191 knew the 642 has the same DAC as the 5100. Perhaps I should open up the box again and find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
i do not find the dvp642's analog outputs that great.

Definitely the analog output from the DVP642 is not the best I've heard; but neither is my Rotel 965BX, or many other much more expensive CDP I've heard, for that matter.
wink.gif

My points are:
1) IMHO the DVP642 is an excellent player for its sound quality at its price (durability is a different issue on which I won't be able to comment at this time.) And for those who are in the US and are considering the purchase of a sub $500 player, it doesn't hurt to try it out since Circuit City has stores everywhere and currently offers free shipping. The worst case scenario is that you would return it if its audio quality is not to your liking.
2) Head-fi is about sharing and voicing our opinions. Everyone is entitled to do so, but my plead is to stick with one's first-hand experiences when it comes to a specific product. We all learn from each other's experiences but speculation can only lead to confusion.

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #82 of 133
Quote:

I was curious about this. The DVP 630 seems to be the PAL version of the 642. They use the ESS Vibratto II ES6698. The 5100 has the mediatek 1389.

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/mi...yers-6425.html
http://www.datasheet4u.com/html/E/S/...ology.pdf.html

I shouldn't have said same, but "192khz/24 bit Audio DACs"
redface.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #83 of 133
Sep 12, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #84 of 133
There seems to be a few people on the web opening up their DVD players to find out what chipset exactly there is in there, so they can flash the firmware to improve video playback. There was a few photos here and their but no DAC info. Flashing the bios/chipset with the wrong firmware seems to kill the player.

Sep 12, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #85 of 133
Quote:

There seems to be a few people on the web opening up their DVD players to find out what chipset exactly there is in there, so they can flash the firmware to improve video playback. There was a few photos here and their but no DAC info. Flashing the bios/chipset with the wrong firmware seems to kill the player.

Thanks for the info. I have opened the case of my 642 once before to see which op amp they use; but I didn't look and trace to see which DAC is in there. Maybe one of these days...

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #86 of 133
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I have opened the case of my 642 once before to see which op amp they use; but I didn't look and trace to see which DAC is in there. Maybe one of these days...

i think i've found somewhere how this Philips uses Burr Brown DAC, but i can't swear....

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #88 of 133
Sep 12, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #89 of 133
Quote:

it's analog stage is pretty good but as a trasnport it is amazing.
music_man

Quote:

i do not find the dvp642's analog outputs that great.
music_man

Your comments on this player confuse me.

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #90 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27
I cannot find DVP642 in Australia. There is one on Philips AU website - DVP3020. Is that the same beast with different name? It retails for $AUD80.00 (~$US60).
Can anyone confirm?

Here is link: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/d...75_pss_aen.pdf

Thanks.

Judging from the specifications, chances are they are not the same machine with different model #'s.

For instance, on Dynamic Range at 1kHz, the 3020 => 80dB, and 642 => 100dB (according to post #75 by hciman77.) Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back