HeadRoom's Home dac, the SB Duet's dac, or SB Classic's dac?
Jul 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 34
I am sure I am getting a balanced signal cause I hear the music is louder then when I had an unbalanced headphone on. I don't have any other source then my iMod upstairs. My balanced source is placed downstairs, and I wanted to listen to my balanced headphone upstairs. I might be able to stream music from my Squeezebox Duet which is connected to my balanced source via ethernet.
I have not yet checked info on how to establish a wireless Squeezebox Duet configuration.

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #17 of 34
This thread has not been completely solved
frown.gif

Originally Posted by alexdemaet View Post

How can I get balanced sound then?

You can't.
Unless you have a balanced source (which you have not) or add a device that puts the inverse signal of the original on the second wire of the xlr interconnect.
These devices exist (Eddie Current used to produce one), but are not very common.
That is why a lot (most) manufacturers of balanced amps incorporate this function in their amp (and allow single ended = RCA input).

You can find more info at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/hr-...e-duet-329689/

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #18 of 34
If you have the dac module in your headroom balanced home, that is a balanced source. Plug in a digital cable or usb cable, and you're done.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #19 of 34
I don't have any digital source upstairs
frown.gif

I hate the HR Home Balanced amp really, I am planning to sell it (check out eBay) and buy a Balanced Rudistor NX33..

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #21 of 34
Call Ken at ALO and ask him about the base and docking system. My intuition is that the iMod would be fine with the digital out into the Wadia, but Ken's a good guy and will help.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #23 of 34
Vinny believes the newest generation iPods (6th gen) are
compatible with the iTransport (to get the digital output).
I have asked sales@wadia.com several times since Friday, but they haven't replyd yet. So I will keep the amp definitely!

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 34
Stereophile: Wadia Announces Launch of iPod Dock with S/PDIF Digital Output
Stereophile: Home Page

iPod Video: Supports S-video out (no component video). It only outputs digital audio in its "extended interface" mode. The iPod click wheel interface is not available while the player is attached to the iTransport and using digital audio out.
iPod Classic: Supports component video out and enables digital audio out while still allowing the iPod click wheel interface to function normally.

I might be able to get a decent iPod Classic 180gb through eBay
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #25 of 34
For the price of iTransport and iPod Classic, I would be better of with a laptop.
I would get a digital stream when connect the iMod (usb) to the laptop, connect the laptop to the HR dac (via usb), and start playing music from my iPod through iTunes software (from the laptop).

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #26 of 34
Sorry for being a noob on howto stream music.
Will I be able to stream music from my music source (personal computer) to a laptop upstairs (this laptop must have a wireless adapter, right?)?

My music source (desktop pc) is connected to Squeezebox Duet via ethernet.
I also have a Linksys wrt54g wireless router connected to my pc via ethernet.

If I were able to stream music from my pc to a laptop, then I could share my music source around the house. I could connect the laptop to my HR amp dac via usb, so it will receive a digital music stream (coming from my music source).
So I can use the laptop as a BALANCED source for my balanced headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #27 of 34
The laptop would feed the source. The source is whatever you're using as an A->D converter. So if your A->D converter is balanced, then you can definitely feed it with your laptop and have balanced outputs

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #28 of 34
In the start I bought the Duet for the nice remote.
Now I see the advantage to stream music to different rooms.
I would like to listen to music from pc downstairs and stream the music from my pc to my HeadRoom headphone amp which is located upstairs.
My pc (where the music is stored on a hard drive) is connected to the Duet via ethernet. The Duet's dac is connected to my Akg rig via coaxial to the Stello dac and so on.
It would be nice to find a sollution to stream the music to my HeadRoom dac via a laptop for example, so I will be able to share the music source over my 2 rigs.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #29 of 34
I simply have to put another Squeezebox into my room upstairs, and I can stream my digital music to my HR amp's dac via the 2nd Squeezebox

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #30 of 34
I believe my HeadRoom's dac will be able to get a balanced signal out of digital music stream (coming from the Squeezebox downstairs to the Sb upstairs, the SB upstairs's digital out is connected to the HR dac's digital in).

Which dac would be better - the HeadRoom's Home dac (not the Max dac), the Squeezebox Duet's dac, or the Squeezebox Classic's dac?

If I would want to bypass the HeadRoom's Home dac, would the Squeezebox's dac act as a BALANCED source (bypass the HR's dac, use the SB's dac and connect the SB's dac via analog RCA to HR's RCA in)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back