Headroom Total Airhead 4.5 First Impressions
Apr 29, 2002 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
[size=xx-small]Or...How I will never be blown away by an audio upgrade again. [/size]

Well, I left my new AKG 501's burning in while I was away for the weekend. After arriving back home Sunday evening, I opened the package from Headroom which contained the TA(4.5) & Ault PS. First impressions were not, well...impressive. The Total Airhead was wrapped in some bubblewrap with the mini-to-mini cable taped on top. No box of its own, just placed in the larger shipping box amongst the peanut filler. The Ault power supply comes inside its own box. The bottom of the larger shipping box also had a simple owners manual for the TA and a return shipping form from HR.

Construction-wise the TA feels cheap. The plastic case is extremely lightweight. The battery door cover feels flimsy and does not fit completely flush, nor does it "snap" in with any authority. The black plastic shows variances in its color tones with lighter and darker shades intermixed all around the casing. The plastic surrounding the mini-jack input shows definite scratches, presummably from the manufacturing process (or possibly from a prior owner?). While these things may be cosmetic and not necessarily impact on sound quality, it does not speak of something worth $200+. My old Boostaroo (sound quality aside) has a case that seems far more sturdy and capable of taking a few knocks and drops while under portable use.

What does speak to sound quality is the volume dial on the TA. Turning the dial gives off pops and scratchy sounds that are quite disconcerting especially when no music is being played. It is not noticable while listening to music. Is this normal?

With further regard to sound quality, the TA seems to be very taxed by the AKG 501's (I am sure this comes as no suprise to many here). Volume increases over my plain old PCDP (20mW/2) are not noticable until the TA volume dial is turned up to around the "7/8" position (out of 10). The dial has no such number designations, I am just guestimating.

Listening to a very wide variety of music styles - classical (small & large groups), rock, pop, jazz, vocal, instrumental, etc. - gives varying results. The TA does provide a small, but noticable improvement. While the AKG's don't provide much bass compared to other cans, it is there. It depends on the recording too. The midrange is where they seem to excel, and it is sweet. The female human voice, piano, and violin all seem to sound as my mind believes they would sound if they were heard live in the same room. Since recordings can vary widely in quality and their production emphasis, these are the things that I can use to judge my interpretation of accuracy. My feeling is that there is more to be heard on the low end, but I wonder if I would be willing to pay the tradeoff price in the midrange.

So I am left with the big question of whether I keep the TA or not. I am relatively happy with the sound coming out of the AKG's, but I am concerned that the TA is being taxed too much. Maybe I should be content with the small degree of improvement with this amp. I just seem to judge any new hi-fi purchase by the amount of improvement I got when I bought my first SportaPro's . As my new audio "baseline", nothing since has shown me that degree of audio improvement from my baseline. Does the TA need to "burn-in" too? Would a more powerfull power supply help the TA? What is the most powerful PS I can use with the TA? Or should I try the Creek desktop amp for the same price? Would it give any improvement over the TA or not? Portability is not a concern and the HR crossfeed does not seem to cause a consistantly noticable effect either.

Am I talking out of my butt or what? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Apr 29, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg

My old Boostaroo (sound quality aside) has a case that seems far more sturdy and capable of taking a few knocks and drops while under portable use.

I've drop mine at least twice on a clay tile floor with no damage to the unit. However, the battery cover did fly off and the 3 batteries went everywhere.

Quote:

What does speak to sound quality is the volume dial on the TA. Turning the dial gives off pops and scratchy sounds that are quite disconcerting especially when no music is being played. It is not noticable while listening to music. Is this normal?

When I have the source off and I turn the TAH volume up near the top level I can hear some type of feedback. I never notice this before because I never go that high with headphones on. However, in the lower 75% of the volume level I don't get any feedback.

I can't comment on the rest of your message because I use the SR325 with my TAH and I'm not familiar with the AKG headphones.

As for power supplies, the TAH will accept a maximum of 15v. The current Headroom PS was meant for the older TAH and doesn't do much for the new ones. I'm currently looking for a good 15v wall wart for mine.

BTW, I wasn't thrilled with the TAH and my HD600 headphones. But I didn't expect to be since I got those for my Maxed Out Home, not the TAH.

I forgot - I have the 4.5 version and with the SR325 headphones the TAH volume is in the lower 20% of the dial.

Apr 29, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA

I've drop mine at least twice on a clay tile floor with no damage to the unit. However, the battery cover did fly off and the 3 batteries went everywhere.

That would be bad in a portable situation, no?

Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA
When I have the source off and I turn the TAH volume up near the top level I can hear some type of feedback. I never notice this before because I never go that high with headphones on. However, in the lower 75% of the volume level I don't get any feedback.

It is not feedback. It is a crackling noise that occurs at all volumes levels as I turn the volume dial up and down. FYI.

Apr 29, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 11
If the only thing that happens when I drop it is the batteries coming out, I'm happy. As long has the case does not crack and the unit keeps working. My Palm or Notebook may not lose the batteries, but they probably wouldn't keep working either. My point is the TAH may be plastic, but it is a solidly built unit. And the plasic makes it that much lighter for portable use.

As for the crackling noise , I'd say you have a bad unit. I do not have a crackling noise at any volume level.

Apr 29, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 11
My feeling about switches that crackle in general is that units
that display that should be replaced in any event. Crackling switches happen from time to time and it's hard to avoid. Supplier quality control may still be good in general, and I'm sure more attention is given to circuit boards.

So I think that in any event you should have the unit replaced with one that is as flawless as possible. But that would go for any piece of equipment I plan to live intimately with. My experiences with a friend's TAH and Etymotics was nothing but positive, but those are the only phones I've ever tested it with, so I'm afraid I can't comment on other aspects of your message.

You're definitely not talking out of your butt though. You're right to have high expectations. I get the impression the company shares that sentiment in general.

DGI

Apr 29, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 11
It sounds like you have a bad volume control pot. Please return the unit, so we can replace it with a good unit. Please return it with a note that I (Danny) want to see the unit. Thank you, and I apologize for all of here for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Apr 29, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Well prior to Danny's post, I decided to call Headroom to see what might be up with my new TA. Todd answered the phone and I explained to him what was happening. He said that the "pot" on all the Airheads are not that great and that many, but not all, exhibit this problem. He said that it was mostly a design concession due to the portability factor of the TA's, and that it generally does not affect the sound when not moved during play. Again, not all do this. He said that if I wanted to return mine for replacement, that he would "cherry pick" one that definitely does not do this.

I inquired about the other alternatives at this pricepoint, asking specifically about the Creek OBH-11, since portability is not a prime concern for me. He said that the Creek is a good amp, which they have in stock, but the HeadRoom Little is much better for ~$60 more, and upgradable. He said that he would be happy to accept my return of the TA and send me either one for the difference in price where applicable.

So I think that this is what I will do. I still have to decide on the OBH-11 or the Little, though. I am leaning toward the HR but I am not completely decided yet. Any recommendations, especially with the 501's?

BTW, I think it is so cool that HR is able to give such a timely (even unsolicited) response to my undirected post. Thanks Danny for your input. I will be sure to have the TA returned to your attention. Thanks to Todd also.

Apr 29, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Any recommendations, especially with the 501's?

I've got a Little for my 501s. I haven't heard any other amps so I don't know what else is possible, but I'm getting great satisfaction out of this setup.

Apr 29, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

So I think that this is what I will do. I still have to decide on the OBH-11 or the Little, though. I am leaning toward the HR but I am not completely decided yet. Any recommendations, especially with the 501's?

I've never used the Creek, but I'd go with the Little just because it is upgradeable and it has the Headroom processor. I know you said the processor wasn’t important, but I’ve found the processor is much-improved when going with the more powerful unit.

Apr 29, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, Todd also told me that the crackling noise was normal. My first 4.5V TAH (purchased a couple weeks ago) had the crackling noise when turning the pot, but not when music was playing. It's replacement also crackles. I love the improvement in sound, which is why I didn't complain the second time.

My old 2AA TAH had no crackling.

jpegl: you must listen pretty loudly to tolerate the AKG 501's at near-maximum TAH levels. However, it's been many years since I heard those cans with an Airhead so things may have changed since then. Only in ppp orchestral passages do I max out the volume on my TAH's, whether with a pair of Grados 125 or Sennheiser 600.

BTW, I was very similarly disappointed in high-fi sound in general when I was first testing its waters. In fact, "disappointed' is an understatement: I thought my hearing was shot: how could everyone say this was SOOO much better than what I already had (Sony MDR-200's, don't laugh). Of course, today I'm deeply invested a few grand worth of gear and totally ecstatic
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back