Headroom new Ultra Micro DAC
Apr 24, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #32 of 89
The new Micro Line does not use any modules or any current circuit boards but the topology can be compared to the rest of our product line.

The products shown at HeadFest are prototypes and subject to change a little regarding pricing, features or components but we are pretty close to a finalized design. The current Micro Line will be phased out of production as it makes economic sense. The new Micro Line will probably start shipping this summer with the earliest possible ship date estimated to be July 1. With approx. pricing listed, the new Micro Line will consist of:

Micro Portable Amp $499 with a DAC option available for $199
This unit uses an internal rechargable lithium ion battery.

The rest of the line is AC powered only and comes with "The Brick" power supply.
Micro Amp (comparable to a Home Module) $399
Micro DAC (comparable to Home DAC) $399
Micro Amp Ultra (comparable to Max Module) $999
Micro DAC Ultra (comparable to Max DAC) $999

Hope this helps.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #33 of 89
Thanks for the information. Now here is the inevitable question: with the Ultra range coming to a grand total of a whisker under $2k, why shouldn't I just get a completely Max'ed-out Desktop w/ DPS for less? Is the separately powered amp and DAC going to make the Micro Ultra combo superior? That said, one might only buy one of the Micros depending on their particular needs. In my case, I don't need the amp so the Micro DAC Ultra would make much more economic and practical sense.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #34 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the information. Now here is the inevitable question: with the Ultra range coming to a grand total of a whisker under $2k, why shouldn't I just get a completely Max'ed-out Desktop w/ DPS for less? Is the separately powered amp and DAC going to make the Micro Ultra combo superior? That said, one might only buy one of the Micros depending on their particular needs. In my case, I don't need the amp so the Micro DAC Ultra would make much more economic and practical sense.

That's a good question and one that I can't answer here without being too promotional. I was thinking my first post was borderline so I'll have to leave the answer to this one up to the members.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #36 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Micro Line does not use any modules or any current circuit boards but the topology can be compared to the rest of our product line.

With approx. pricing listed, the new Micro Line will consist of:

Micro Portable Amp $499 with a DAC option available for $199
This unit uses an internal rechargable lithium ion battery.

If the portable amp is jumping up $200, what makes it better than the current microamp? Sure your new version has a built-in rechargeable battery, but that can't be the only difference for $200. What am I missing?

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #37 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a reasonable trade-up policy. The Ultra Micro DAC does sound great...

They do have a trade-in policy... like 20% off new units or something like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it's probably a mattter of size. The micro is smaller than the Desktop, and maybe for some people, an extra square feet of deskspace is worth a couple of beads.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #38 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcdonou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the portable amp is jumping up $200, what makes it better than the current microamp? Sure your new version has a built-in rechargeable battery, but that can't be the only difference for $200. What am I missing?

According to jamey's earlier post, the new Micro Amp will be roughly comparable to a Home Module.

EDIT: Hmm, I may have read too far into jamey's post, since the reference to the Home Module was mentioned in the context of the AC powered Micro Amp rather than the portable...

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #39 of 89
@jamey: So, if I want to have only a portable DAC, there won't be any option in the very near future, considering that current Micro DAC will be out of production. I better take good care of my Micro DAC then...

One other question: The price difference of the current home DAC and max DAC modules is listed at around $100 on your web site (if added to an existing amp as an option). I wonder, what additional features and/or qualities will the Ultimate Micro DAC will bring over the new Micro DAC to justify $600 price difference (instead of $100 as it is now), considering that you compared them to your existing home and max modules respectively. If you cannot give details, it is ok, I am just wondering.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #40 of 89
Sorry, my simple comparison may get me into trouble in the future. The new Micro DAC is actually more comparable to a Desktop DAC.

artears, you are correct, there will no longer be a portable stand alone DAC once the current version is sold out.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #41 of 89
I'm still intrigued by the Ultra Micro DAC, but at that price point it's going to need some serious features. I don't think I can justify $1k on a DAC that doesn't have balanced outputs, for example.

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #43 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still intrigued by the Ultra Micro DAC, but at that price point it's going to need some serious features. I don't think I can justify $1k on a DAC that doesn't have balanced outputs, for example.

Either that, or incredibly good sounding.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #44 of 89
oh crum....too expensive for me
frown.gif
, I might have to catch the last of the old micro line, but im out of money atm.

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #45 of 89
If people compare the size of MAX DAC board with the size of Micro DAC board(including the space for two 9V batteries), you will see MAX DAC circuit should easily fit in the Micro DAC's case
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back