Headroom new Ultra Micro DAC
Apr 22, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #16 of 89
I'm interested in this as well. I have a Micro Stack on order but the email said it would be 2-4 weeks before it was shipped (1-3 weeks now). I would like to know exactly that I'm getting. Not that anything out of HeadRoom would suck, but I would like the option of upgrading the DAC to the new one since I won't be using it portably. Time to fire off an email...

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #17 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This new ultra micro dac is exciting news indeed. Look forward to hearing it.

cwa0003.jpg

lol
icon10.gif

sorry-1.jpg

We should only be glad to see the improvements to the Micro line. I've been wanting to see the rechargeable lithium feature. I hope to own one someday.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #18 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol
icon10.gif

sorry-1.jpg

We should only be glad to see the improvements to the Micro line. I've been wanting to see the rechargeable lithium feature. I hope to own one someday.
evil_smiley.gif

I quite agree. I'm mostly pissed at my lousy timing but there's always a timing issue when products get upgraded. It will be nice if Headroom show some consideration for people who purchased just before the announcement but after the 30 days - a reasonable trade-up policy. The Ultra Micro DAC does sound great...

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #19 of 89
When oh when is it going to come out? How much will it cost? Those are the questions that need answering!

Apr 23, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 89
Yeah, I can't wait for more information about this. I have a micro DAC and love it. I've never used it on batteries, so I'd love an AC only version with better sound quality. I'd really love a HR Balanced DAC, but I doubt that can fit in the micro case.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 89
to the above posters it doesn't have balanced outputs

I was talking to the maker of them and he told me the one on the left was the normal micro dac now, the center was home modules, and the right one was max modules. I gave them a listen really liked the one with the max modules but not too impressed with the home module one.

don't qoute me on this but I am pretty sure they now they are rechargeable.

the line output on the micro dac and the line input on the micro amp are now on the backside of the dac.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #23 of 89
Even the Home module and Max module ones are rechargeable? I thought that was exactly what Headroom was trying to move away from? Do you remember what I/O the Home and Max Ultra MicroDACs had?

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #24 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the Home module and Max module ones are rechargeable? I thought that was exactly what Headroom was trying to move away from? Do you remember what I/O the Home and Max Ultra MicroDACs had?

I am fairly sure they were all rechargeable. they also have I think 3 inputs on the back of the amp now maybe it was 2.

I am confused about that last part if you could specify what you exactly mean maybe give an example.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #25 of 89
Look at this picture (not mine):
hf07070cw4.jpg

If you listen to the Podcast, Tyll does say specifically that the Home and Ultra versions will be AC powered with the PSUs in a separate Micro chassis.

I/O as in input/output. RCA outputs, full sized coaxial and toslink inputs, etc...

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #26 of 89
I thought that new MicroDAC was with AC only and Ultra MicroDAC was the one with rechargeable batteries. Probably I missed something here, but I also checked Headroom's site and it seems like Max DAC module is more expensive and better than Home module. I also remember reading that Ultra MicroDAC has the Max module, so is the battery operated one the one with the best DAC? How much is the battery life then? Someone please give us some hint about the price ranges as well...

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #27 of 89
My understadning from the podcast is that the two new models that you saw on display (home module and max module) are AC only. There will be a new Micro Amp with a built in DAC that will be rechargeable - sort of a high-end rechargeable Bithead. I don't believe that that has been displayed yet.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #28 of 89
We were really just giving you guys what you wanted: a peek at what's coming. Expected release is 3rd quarter of this year. Months away. I'll post a MOT thread when we're about a month out. 'Til then, the current Micro is pretty good and cheaper than either of the new ones. Your value for money is probably about the same.

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #29 of 89
Doh, I want a micro DAC, but am now totally confused by all the new stuff lol. I guess ill wait untill the new versions come out and everything is clear.

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #30 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There will be a new Micro Amp with a built in DAC that will be rechargeable - sort of a high-end rechargeable Bithead. I don't believe that that has been displayed yet.

It was, and yet somehow I didn't hear it. (Everything else in the room was great, though, so I'm sure it was too.) Here are pics, click for larger:

"Gone are the two 9 volt batteries, and now the portable Micro has a sweet rechargeable battery inside. The amp will take optical, coaxial, and USB digital inputs; plug an iPod into the "line input" on the front and the DAC is disconnected and you get your portable tunes."

Close up. Sorry I didn't get a good full-frontal shot.

Not clearly visible in these pictures is a fabric travel case that looks custom-made for this unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back