Headroom new Ultra Micro DAC
Apr 22, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpfiguer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the new Headroom's ultra DAC use 9 V batteries or an internal rechargeable ion/lithium/polymer battery?

Does the ultra micro DAC use the brick power supply or something better?

Does the ultra micro DAC use the same enclosure, input, output, and switches than the micro DAC?

Thanks

What is Ultra Micro DAC?

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the new MicroDAC announced on the podcast. I'm kind of pissed. I just bought the Micro DAC - which they are still selling - and there is Tyll describing it as 'neither here nor there' by comparison with the new and better products.

I understand that product upgrades happen but it's still very disappointing and his commenst are salt in the wound. $300 isn't chump change.

I'm sure if you got into direct contact with them you could probably work out something.

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 89
The change makes sense. I mean, it's not like there's any new R&D going into these products. They just realized that nearly no one is hardcore enough to actually use it in a portable rig when it only gets ~2 hours of run time on batteries. So take away the battery-power option, put previously designed DAC boards (Home and Max modules) in there and you have considerably better sound quality with very little compromise to the current Micro. Now if only that power brick wasn't so massive...

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The change makes sense. I mean, it's not like there's any new R&D going into these products. They just realized that nearly no one is hardcore enough to actually use it in a portable rig when it only gets ~2 hours of run time on batteries. So take away the battery-power option, put previously designed DAC boards (Home and Max modules) in there and you have considerably better sound quality with very little compromise to the current Micro. Now if only that power brick wasn't so massive...

Basically true, realization that Micro's were not really portable. They already have a nice true portable in the Air Head which has evolved over many years into one of the best portables around.

Apr 22, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it sound exactly the same as the Max DAC? What kind of power supplies does it use?

Yeah, what's the sound like? Where are the pics?

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 89
I'm pretty excited about this, I really like my Micro Amp and DAC, but I wonder what the price difference is going to be for the Max modules. From the Desktop Amp, to upgrade to a Max module is $399. Same for adding the Max DAC. But regardless, to get Max modules in a small package like that and hopefully affordable is fantastic. Way to go, Headroom!!!

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 89
This new ultra micro dac is exciting news indeed. Look forward to hearing it.

cwa0003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back