Headroom Max Headcount
Dec 8, 2001 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Peddler
I wonder how many 600 owners also have the ER4 headphones? Which do they prefer. I personally have the ER4's and I think they're wonderful.

I now have both, as I recently purchased the Etymotic ER-4S's.

For most listening, I prefer the Sennheiser HD-600's, but I do love both.

Dec 8, 2001 at 2:52 PM Post #17 of 27
I had both. I had the Ety's first. I liked them but they didn't blow me away so I ordered the 600's. After about two weeks, I decided that I shouldn't keep the Ety's and returned them. I'm extremely happy now with my Maxed Out Home Reference model and 600's (and my 333ES).
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2001 at 3:40 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
You guys with Max's do you listen with the processor on...
Bob
tongue.gif

I listen with either of Senn 600's and Grado 375's, depending on my mood.

The processor-in/out difference is mild on either phone, but is more noticeable with the Grados. On that phone, I listen these days with the processor off. The Grados simply don't image as well as the Senns, in any circumstances, so I don't feel much positive spacial improvement from the processor. On the negative side, I hear (maybe....) a minor degradation of the bass, which is more noticeable on the Grados.

Quote:

I've tried it with the processor on and on the bright setting. Maybe it's my imagination, but the bass seems to get slightly "boomy"

Maybe it is your imagination....but, with the Grados, that's my imagining too. I think the source of the perceived problem is actually higher up than the bass range, in the treble where transient sounds are translated by auditory cortex into "bass definition" - a contradictory concept, but hey, that's wetware for you... However, turning the filter on/off doesn't seem to alter the bass definition in either direction, which may invalidate my idea.

Dec 8, 2001 at 11:41 PM Post #19 of 27
Add one more Max to the pile!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:27 AM Post #20 of 27
I'm eyeing the max pretty closely....damnit, why can't I be content with what I have!

If I didn't have to buy a 55" Mits. widescreen tv within the next month or so I'd probably take the plunge and get the max...

- pearle

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:38 AM Post #21 of 27
You wouldn't regret it, the Max is pretty awesome!

Dec 9, 2001 at 5:16 AM Post #23 of 27
Gathering data!! I've barely had it out of the box for 24 hours yet! Patience my man! It has managed to impress me a bit in that time though!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #25 of 27
I still really like my Headroom Max (especially now with my Oppo PM-1 phone, as I commented in the PM1 thread).
Does anyone else still appreciate this amp or have any quick comparisons with the newer popular solid state amps from any of the likely suspects?
I think the Max is a classic that makes beautiful sound and I can't bring myself to part with it for desktop use.
(I got in 1999 and had it updated by Headroom in 2004 with a new "reference module.")

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #26 of 27
I demoed my HD800 at a consignment shop just earlier and didn't realize how awesome they were.  Awesome indeed.  

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #27 of 27
Hi Bob,

When I see the 'Max' denominator, I'm a little confused about which model is being discussed.  There seem to be many 'Max' es, some current models, some not.

I have this one:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070817042447/http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-home-line/headroom-home-balanced-amp.php

I haven't been able to find a review/discussion of it here on head-fi.  Is that because it's a discontinued model?  It's a pretty great sounding unit  --  mine has the Max boards, but no DAC.  I had Mike Olsen at Headroom go through it a couple of years ago.  He repaired an 'iffy' main ground connector and installed a better version of the Alps pot;  and that was all he did.  It sounds very smooth  --  by which I mean not like a typical SS headphone amp --  even compared to my tube units (Little Dot Mk III, and Melos SHA-1.)

Thanks very much,

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back