Headroom is coming to Ottawa! Ottawa Head-fi meet redux Sunday July 3rd
Jun 15, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #17 of 44
What exactly goes on at these meetings? Is it just a listen and try session? Or is there opportunity to actually buy some products (maybe a discount?) on the spot (saving the hassle and cost of importing directly)

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 44
Okay folks, the meeting location is set:

[size=small]Chimo Inn[/size]

1199 Joseph Cyr Street,
Ottawa
K1J 7T4
(613) 744-1060

chimomap.jpg

mqmapgend

We have the room from 8 until 5 pm. So I recommend 11-4 or so. This should permit everyone who is bringing gear enough time to setup and enough time at the end of the day to take down before the 5 deadline.

I will need a ride so I can bring lots of gear. I'm not sure what Tyll is bringing but I figure it won't hurt to have duplicates of some of the greats.

If I could have someone pick me up around 8:30 or so, then I could go meet with the hotel staff, (the room should be open and ready, I asked for 6 tables, should this be enough?).

Also, I don't mind footing the bill for the room, but I am a student and so...donations however small towards the cost would be greatly appreciated (cost for the room is $250+tax)

Jun 16, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
I can come by and pick you up on the way there. Do you have a van load of stuff or will most things fit in the trunk of a car?

Here is what I am bringing:

Shanling
Grado HPA-1
Grado 325i
Grado RS-1
Grado HP-1
Grado HP-2
Grado PS-1
Sony R10
Stax SR007
Stax 007t
KGSS
Ear HP4
Emmeline Stealth (though actually, GWN will likely be taking this)
Sennheiser HE60

I figure a trunk + back seat will be enough for us, the CD player box is large, as are the Ear HP4 and 007t boxes. Otherwise not too bad.

Thanks a lot Ken, very kind of you, particularly since it is an early start on your day off
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #21 of 44
I could bring my RA-1 as well if folks wanted to hear it but I figure Headroom will likely have one and most have heard one already. Given it is not a popular amp these days, I would rather not take it if it were to sit there all day. Poor little guy
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #22 of 44
I bring sad, sad tidings indeed. Behind the scenes, Dara (VP Operations at HeadRoom) has been trying to get the red tape squared away for the trip to Canada and Europe. It boils down to this (and there’s a lot of boiling here): we have to post a bond of %35 of the value of the equipment. A certified check, that will be cashed, for $20,000 will be theirs for about three months, plus a wheelbarrow filled of paperwork that will take somebody’s time for 20 hours. HOLY COW! That’s a lot of dough! Dough HeadRoom doesn’t have at the moment; we just spent all our cash and half our reserves to produce, tool up, and fill inventory with new product. There is no way I can pony up $20,000 TWICE once to go to Canada and once for Europe! What really pisses me off about this is that I lean a bit to the left, and I liked the whole NAFTA idea, BUT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HELP ME OUT AS WELL AS MY HEMISPHERIC NEIGHBORS! At the moment it looks like an international conspiracy to make it impossible for an American businessman to peddle his wares across the boarder; and the US Customs bit of it was actually harder than the Canadian red tape.
So I’m going to have to announce some cancellations of the Canadian and European part of my trip. I can’t tell you how bad I feel about this. I will also have to cancel my attendance at the Boston and Urbana meet. As much as I would like to go, there are also myriad issues at the home office where I could help, and although my passion drags me out to show off the hardware, my sense of responsibility draws me back. I simply must balance my visits with you guys, with the pile of work awaiting me at home. I very much hope you still hold the meets and have a great time.
The good news is New York, DC, Cincinatti, and Pittsburgh are just around the corner, and the west coast trip is still on for August. I’ve had a great time so far, and am looking forward to the visits this year and on into the future.

AAARRRRGGGHHH!
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #23 of 44
This is truly a shame
frown.gif

Are we still going to have the meet then, Zanth? I think we've still got a decent amount of gear going, but that room rental might be a bit much now.

Jun 16, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

This is truly a shame
frown.gif

Are we still going to have the meet then, Zanth? I think we've still got a decent amount of gear going, but that room rental might be a bit much now.

Okay, yeah, the room will be quite a bit too much for a smaller meet. I am really busy over the next two weeks, so if someone wants to organize a new location, I'm game for the day. Otherwise, if I am to plan it, I will need to do so after the long weekend.

Tyll, no sweat, NAFTA was a big old FU to the common man methinks. Small business? Consumer? FU! Suckas! Understandable and all that. Of course, for getting our hopes up for a Canadian meet, I do believe at least a select few of us deserves a free Max. Thanks for that
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #26 of 44
I'd love to host at my place again, but I doubt I have the room for it if more people than last time decide to show up
tongue.gif

Zanth -> If you haven't cancelled the room rental yet, I'll foot half the bill so that we can have a proper place for the meet.

Now I expect everyone who said they would show up to come out this time
cool.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

I'd love to host at my place again, but I doubt I have the room for it if more people than last time decide to show up
tongue.gif

Zanth -> If you haven't cancelled the room rental yet, I'll foot half the bill so that we can have a proper place for the meet.

Now I expect everyone who said they would show up to come out this time
cool.gif

What's the headcount so far? If we're still having the meet, I'm still going to bring in Zemo's headphone amps.

And Zanth, I'd certainly love to hear the RA-1. I hear it has excellent synergy with the Grados so I'm wanting to know what all that is about.
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #28 of 44
Okay folks, I have not yet paid nor cancelled the room. It is still on hold for me.

Thank you Ken for offering to cover half the room. If we can get a hard count to show that we could actually use a room of this size then that would be great. I will hold off as long as we can though I would hope that if folks are truly interested they can start by mentioning so in this thread.

As it stands now:

Me
ken_loo
GWN
Beagle
Cyrillix

These are the definites. Not a large number at all really. What is the max capacity for your place Ken?

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #29 of 44
I'll actually be bringing my sister along as she will be in town and is a headfier in training
tongue.gif

I had 4 people, myself included, last time and you can see the meet pics for yourself. My whole kitchen table was consumed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back