Headroom is coming to Ottawa! Ottawa Head-fi meet redux Sunday July 3rd
Apr 16, 2005 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
So here is the deal, Tyll has graciously agreed, after a bit of kind Canadian coaxing, to venture up North for a two day stint, the first on July 2nd to TO, and the second hit is our little home base on the 3rd!

I realize we have a meet next week, but well, let's just say that even with the cool gear we will have on hand (thanks Mike) it will pale in comparison to what Headroom has up its sleeves. I recommend doing a search for past threads of the World of Headphones tour back in 2003 I believe it was. AMAZING!!! Seriously, the meets started just before this tour, but after the tour, after what Headroom catapulted into the mainstream, well...let's just say meets have never been the same since.

This really is our chance to listen to the best (balanced RS-1's from a Blockhead anyone? Yeah baby!!!) while comparing with much of what is currently out there.

So here is the deal, beyond the typical Canadian hospitality, I really want to make this worth Tyll's time and money, so I need some help getting the word out as well as some suggestions on where this could be held. I'll get the details on size/capacity and then we can quickly iron out the rest.

Dang folks, what a frickin summer this is going to turn out to be! I really hope the Blockhead/RS-1 combo doesn't blow me just clear off the Earth, cause my wallet will sure hate me if it does
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
This really is our chance to listen to the best (balanced RS-1's from a Blockhead anyone? Yeah baby!!!)

The bad news is that the BlockHead is discontinued. The good news is that there's something better.
basshead.gif
I'll try to remember to bring balanced RS1s on the trip. And if you REALLY want to give me a Canadian welcome you'll have donuts to dip in our Molson.

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 44
If you want a REAL Canadian welcome you will have to ditch your Molson for some Alexander Keith's, Sleeman's or well, one of our fine microbrewed beer.

As for donuts, sir, you are entering the country of the best donut/coffee shoppe in the world. I do believe NY, Maine and good ol' Mass have some Tim Horton's but well..be prepared to be bombarded.

Better than the blockhead? Bring those RS-1's or you won't be let into the country
wink.gif
Or better...out.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 44
Zanth:

I think we should be able to round up all the usual meet suspects, along with representatives from the Ottawa area audio community. Perhaps I can contact some of the people at the local audio shops.

Apr 17, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 44
that would be excellent! I would love it if some of the local audioshops would extend an invite to their customers who are primarily or exclusively speaker folks. It would make for some great times and perhaps some converts
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

It would make for some great times and perhaps some converts
wink.gif

...or some perverts
blink.gif

Apr 23, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 44
I think I will be off between summer school classes at McGill. I will certianly come to Toronto if the meet takes place! If we gather enough people we could all chip in for a conference room at a hotel or something.

May 30, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 44
Okay folks, June is upon us and I'm going to get busy organizing this beauty of a meet! I will be in contact with a few Audio Dealers to see if they might want to tag along, perhaps setting up some vinyl rigs. I am thinking about renting a spot in a hotel. This would be best I think considering the amount of folks interested in coming out as well as the incredible load of gear headed our way.

Any suggestions on a good spot? We could do the good old Chimo again, or perhaps something more centrally located? I'll ask Tyll where he will be staying, perhaps the same hotel would make things easier for him.

BTW: It looks like the Toronto meet may be cancelled in favour of a Windsor meet. Therefore, I think some Toronto folks may want to come out to Ottawa for this one, as well as some Montreal folks. The more the merrier!

May 31, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 44
Zanth, feel free to hold the meet wherever you want; I'll be in my trailor and living in campgrounds and rest stops so location is a non-issue for me.

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #12 of 44
Chimo was good last time. Whatever works best for Tyll.

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 44
I might be able to come...I've never been to a meet before, so I don't know what exactly goes on. Do we sort of swap headphones and listen to things or is there any formal plan for the night (or day)?

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
I might be able to come...I've never been to a meet before, so I don't know what exactly goes on. Do we sort of swap headphones and listen to things or is there any formal plan for the night (or day)?

Once I finalize the location (this weekend) then I will post the spot, as for timing I was thinking 11-5 or something along those lines? That way if Tyll came by for 9am ish, I could meet him there and help him setup and then other folks could swing by and being listening. Basically, yes, we swap headphones listen to different rigs, talk shop etc. Lots of fun!

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Once I finalize the location (this weekend) then I will post the spot, as for timing I was thinking 11-5 or something along those lines? That way if Tyll came by for 9am ish, I could meet him there and help him setup and then other folks could swing by and being listening. Basically, yes, we swap headphones listen to different rigs, talk shop etc. Lots of fun!

Cool stuff. Likely, I'll go then..and I'll be sure to bring in my Labtecs so you guys can hear the ultra-quality hi-fi sound that I've been living with for the last 2 years.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back