HeadRoom Home Gen 1(old amp)
Oct 9, 2010 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

yhong26

100+ Head-Fier
halo,I have some questions about this old amp.For my information searching until now,the amp about 10+years old.and for 90's this is a top line for Headroom product.(if i wrong please shot me).

Everyone own it HeadRoom Home?

How about if compare with modern amp?

What is your impression?

What is the headphone pair with it?

How about the crossfeed function?

thks...
atsmile.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 19
no anybody experience it?....

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 19
I had a HeadRoom Little with More Power supply for a while and thought it was a terrific amp. The one you have should be a good bit better than the Little.  The headroom crossfeed I like but I find the filter option to be needed in conjunction.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Open it up, take a few photos, we might be able to tell you more.  My experience with older Headroom amps has been AWESOME!

open it and see inside just can compared the hardware or components,the SQ still must be try it 1st right?newbie question,through the components,we can know the quality of the amp?haha...
Quote:
I had a HeadRoom Little with More Power supply for a while and thought it was a terrific amp. The one you have should be a good bit better than the Little.  The headroom crossfeed I like but I find the filter option to be needed in conjunction.

wa,that i believe the HeadRoom product,i think it will not bad.but HeadRoom Home 1st Gen is a very old amp already.just curious if compared to modern amp,the technology of amp nowaday will produce more good SQ?

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
I approach amplifier designs simply - if the design is "standard" and I've seen the circuit hundreds of times, looking at one very similar to others will mean it's very likely to sound just like the others.
wink.gif

that mean you will see the circuit then analysis,and compared the similar circuit.But all the amp also have own design,how to find a similar one?
For your experience,SOHA+JISBOS can batter than Headroom Home?

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
that mean you will see the circuit then analysis,and compared the similar circuit.But all the amp also have own design,how to find a similar one?
For your experience,SOHA+JISBOS can batter than Headroom Home?

found some info of the headroom Home:
Avel-Lindberg toroidal transformer,
Burr-Brown 604 op-amps,
high contact-force-headphone jacks,
pseudo-Litz stranded circuit board traces, 
gold-over-OFC-w/Teflon-insert RCA jacks.

from the web http://web.archive.org/web/19970404022613/www.headphone.com/amps/home.htm

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I've had a HeadRoom Home amp, it was OP604 + BUF634, 2-channel design with quite a good power supply.  That's quite a nice amp design.

The SOHA amp with JISBOS buffer is a tube hybrid and a VERY different design.  I do like the SOHA with JISBOS quite a bit, I've owned a few in the past.

so for u, u like SOHA+JISBOS more then HeadRoom Home?
you HeadRoom Home is 90's version?the 1st Gen?
Now i got two amp to decide to choose.
the HeadRoom Home is old amp,must consider if in the future will difficult sell it. Actually i wish to buy an amp to drive my ortho phone.I think for SOHA+JISBOS is more match with ortho phone right?

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
They're very different amps, I don't know if I really "like" one more than the other.  I really enjoyed the Headroom Home amp and if you decide to sell it, do let me know, I wouldn't mind having another one.
smily_headphones1.gif

haha,why u wan have anther one?for collection?haha,actually i does not own both amp,just want to compared which 1 is batter, and decide to buy one of them.HeadRoom Home or SOHA+JISBOS...

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 19
I still own a HeadRoom Home.  I bought the original in 1996 after reading a Stereophile review.  A great SS amp.  It developed a slight buzz, I sent it back under warranty and they fixed it.  About four years ago it developed some mild buzz again.  Of course it was way out of warranty and a little pricey to repair.  Ty (Headroom owner) stepped in and exchanged for me a unit I believe they used to use for shows.  It has no serial number and was upgraded but I'm not sure how.  I did speak with them and one of the guys said what I had was a pretty big upgrade so I'm not sure what's under the hood.  It still sounds great and I listen w/AKG 701K's.  I have listened to newer amps and will soon buy a Woo amp.  But that is a totally different amp w/tubes.

Keith

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
I still own a HeadRoom Home.  I bought the original in 1996 after reading a Stereophile review.  A great SS amp.  It developed a slight buzz, I sent it back under warranty and they fixed it.  About four years ago it developed some mild buzz again.  Of course it was way out of warranty and a little pricey to repair.  Ty (Headroom owner) stepped in and exchanged for me a unit I believe they used to use for shows.  It has no serial number and was upgraded but I'm not sure how.  I did speak with them and one of the guys said what I had was a pretty big upgrade so I'm not sure what's under the hood.  It still sounds great and I listen w/AKG 701K's.  I have listened to newer amps and will soon buy a Woo amp.  But that is a totally different amp w/tubes.

Keith

o, so the amp is old but still can sent it back to repair? In 14 years, u sent it back twice.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #15 of 19
I have no idea but I somehow doubt it.  Just call and ask.  They have an 800 number and are really helpful.  I've never been able to do a side by side test with this amp but what I've listened to that's new never just knocked me over.  I do like the Woo and it is impressive but again that is a different sound with tubes.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back