Headroom has skullcandy headphones... and is singing their praises?
Dec 7, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #91 of 108
Currently, I can't do that myself since the site isn't commensurate with what Tyll has clearly defined here. An ideal has been defined. It's just whether or not it will be realised to full effect through how items are presented on the site.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #92 of 108
Tyll's posts are art, it has to be said. I enjoy reading them like I'm enjoying Vladimir Ashkenazy playing Chopin through my rig right now.

An interesting thing struck me while reading the recent Florida meet impressions. It was a comment that the guys from Zu enjoyed coming to Head-fi meets, as unlike regular audiophiles who argue over gear, we were more interested in listening to music.

I think what Tyll posted about the walk-in customer exemplifies that -- the guy wanted to listen to hip-hop, so Skull Crushers were probably his best bet for the money he wanted to spend. He wanted to listen to his music. It's worth remembering this.

[size=xx-small]...And I was right about Skullcandy being a business decision.[/size]

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #93 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll's posts are art, it has to be said. I enjoy reading them like I'm enjoying Vladimir Ashkenazy playing Chopin through my rig right now.

An interesting thing struck me while reading the recent Florida meet impressions. It was a comment that the guys from Zu enjoyed coming to Head-fi meets, as unlike regular audiophiles who argue over gear, we were more interested in listening to music.

I think what Tyll posted about the walk-in customer exemplifies that -- the guy wanted to listen to hip-hop, so Skull Crushers were probably his best bet for the money he wanted to spend. He wanted to listen to his music. It's worth remembering this.

[size=xx-small]...And I was right about Skullcandy being a business decision.[/size]

Tyll words things very carefully.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #94 of 108
Let's face it, folks....!! Some people can't hold a tune when singing, and some people have tin ears when listening to music, whether live or recorded.
It's just the same as some people are completely colour-blind, and some are blind to certain colours.
No amount of education will change that.
Thankfully, some people can to be taught how to listen critically, and come to enjoy real music, not just the doof-doof bopping baseline.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #95 of 108
Currawong said:-
I think what Tyll posted about the walk-in customer exemplifies that -- the guy wanted to listen to hip-hop, so Skull Crushers were probably his best bet for the money he wanted to spend. He wanted to listen to his music. It's worth remembering this..

A radio announcer her in Sydney Aus. used to say that when he was in Japan he learnt the lesson that you need to talk in the language of the buyer.
This holds true whether you are selling goods or your opinion. as he was on talk-back radio.
It is something I try to do when talking about hifi.
Break it down to the novice's level, and then slowly add the techo terminology.
I remember once when I worked for Telstra as a technical officer.
We were attending a course, and about five of us were discussing our jobs while having lunch.
there was a clerk sitting with us due to a full lunchroom.
After about 20 minutes he finally said that he knew we were speaking English, but as fat as understanding went we might as well have been speaking Swahili.
Remenber the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple, Stupid.)

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #96 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two stories:

As we were moving into a new space years ago, I was painting walls in one bare room and there was a cheap boom box playing Muddy Waters in another bare room a coupla doorways down the hall. I found myself bobbing my head along with the music. All of a sudden I sort of stepped out of myself and realized I was completely involved with the music ... from a boom box ... in another room ... with about 100% reverberant sound, 0% direct.

Second story:

I'm sitting around a table with about 8 of the writers from SoundStage. I ask the question: "Does the fidelity of reproduction have a direct effect on the qualy of the art reproduced?" The answer, to a man (they were all male), was NO.

We should not elivate the contribution of what we do to the level of the Art of Music. Good reproduction is sort of like listening to music in a Lay-Z-Boy chair instead of the wooden stool of cheap audio gear. Yes, the Lay-Z-Boy is more comfortable and enjoyable, and brings something to the listening experience ... but it's not the music. It could even be argued that if you can clear your mind of the discomfort of the wooden stool as you listen, your listening experience may be even better than that of a person bringing the cuddly chair experience into the listening experience.

so true.

one more story, told by the pianist krystian zimerman:
interview part 1, from 6:22 to the end
interview part 2, from 1:27 to 2:30

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #97 of 108
I recently compared the SK Titan to JVC Air Cushions. Comfort aside, the Skullcandies actually sounded better and don't cost that much more here in stores. I don't blame Headroom at all for carrying them. They're no high-end Shures but for inexpensive subway/bus phones they work well as I sure as hell am not taking my HD650s with me on the bus.

Sound-wise, they are clearer and bassier (but not in a bad way) than the Air Cushions, the only main sonic flaw I can find is the "off" soundstage and rolled-off highs.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #98 of 108
I've just read Tyll's blog (on the Headroom Web site) on inexpensive in-ears priced around $50 or less, which included a pair of Skullcandies. He concluded that while the Skullcandies were fun to listen to (especially to kids), they were too colored for the more serious listener. He also said that $10 to $15 more than the Titans buys you a technically better sounding in-ear. He found that the Sennheiser CX 300-II sounded best of the $50-or-less in-ears while the Sony MDR-EX56LP topped the $40-or-less group. Accordingly, the Headroom value ratings were updated on the Titans and the EX56, which went down by one-half and up by one-half, respectively.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #99 of 108
That was a great comparison Tyll!

Now, to what extent can you distill that information into the actual webpage where you sell each model?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #100 of 108
It is entirely possible that Skullcandies give good sound. Even so, even if they gave the best sound in the world I don't like the looks and marketing of these things. My new old Pioneer Monitor 10s look tougher and actually original compared to 'these things.'

I may test a pair one day, but only out of curiousity for the TIs 'were found good.' Just for the sake of what I like I'd prefer a new pair of V6-es or another classic set of headphones like the DT250 or DT48.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #101 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is entirely possible that Skullcandies give good sound. Even so, even if they gave the best sound in the world I don't like the looks and marketing of these things. My new old Pioneer Monitor 10s look tougher and actually original compared to 'these things.'

I may test a pair one day, but only out of curiousity for the TIs 'were found good.' Just for the sake of what I like I'd prefer a new pair of V6-es or another classic set of headphones like the DT250 or DT48.

In the looks department I'd take one any day instead of some of those Stax offerings.
ph34r.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #102 of 108
It might not look good to you guys, but a friend of mine caught it's looks on his first sight at headroom. He knows jack about headphones. So, to the younger generation (e.g. my friend), skull candy does look cool.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #103 of 108
Pretty doesn't equal good sound. The standard prizes for Skullcandies are way too high compared to other models which deliver good sound.

I prefer my simple black V6-es over those pimped sound toys. Black is always cool.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #104 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty doesn't equal good sound.

Can this actually be true?

But why then do tube amps that look so snazzy happen to sound good for many? OTOH, HeadRoom amps aren't getting the same sort of recognition as they are or other SS offerings like the GS-1 etc.

Looks do add to the effect!!!
atsmile.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #105 of 108
Like an Alfa Romeo 8C, right? The subject was Skull Candy headphones not amps. Could you say the same of the Mona Lisa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back