Headroom has skullcandy headphones... and is singing their praises?
Oct 19, 2009 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
So I was browsing headphone.com, and I was REALLY surprised at some changes there... like the skullcandy.

Uhm. Wow. That's kinda surprising, seeing how much derision skullcandy has here. I also notice them giving good value ratings to some headphones (like the sony behind the neck ones) that are pretty much universally scorned here. Uhm. Have we missed the boat due to elitism? What exactly is going on over at headroom?

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 108
Headroom is a business and Head-Fi and it's population of bandwagon travelling derisive headphone snobs who laugh at Skullcandy despite that most have never heard them are very very far from being Headrooms entire customer base?

What theads are pouring scorn on what pair of Sony headphones exactly?

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 108
Tough economy.

Ok, joking aside, Headroom people stated that customers were requesting them, but stated in more gentle terms that they only carried the models that didn't sound like complete rubbish.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 108
What better way to attract the general public to your site than to carry skullcandy? It's not like there aren't a lot of other good headphones listed. Maybe when someone goes there for skullcandy they'll actually start looking around into some of the other headphones. Seems like a smart business move (though I don't really care for the new site).

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And as for the second part, what sort of sales would they be pulling in if they trashed the product in their "review"?

If this is the case, all the reviews there should be read with similar skepticism.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluegun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I was browsing headphone.com, and I was REALLY surprised at some changes there... like the skullcandy.

Uhm. Wow. That's kinda surprising, seeing how much derision skullcandy has here. I also notice them giving good value ratings to some headphones (like the sony behind the neck ones) that are pretty much universally scorned here. Uhm. Have we missed the boat due to elitism? What exactly is going on over at headroom?

Widespread derision, as well as adulation on head-fi quite often has no sound basis to it. I wonder how many have given a pair of skullcandy's it's due listen?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a pair of "BOSE noise cancelling" and find its sound to be quite decent. There's talk about bloated base, but what about the Denon line?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 108
Well, some of us have been listening to Skullcandys for some time. It's just difficult to "come out" when you know that your Head-Fi family will disapprove and might disown you.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom is a business and Head-Fi and it's population of bandwagon travelling derisive headphone snobs who laugh at Skullcandy despite that most have never heard them are very very far from being Headrooms entire customer base?

What theads are pouring scorn on what pair of Sony headphones exactly?

I demoed a pair. Very listenable with the XB turned off. Turned on it's a bloody mess, like finger nails to a chalk board.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 108
They should sell Bose and beats by Dre. Yes, I'm serious.. Why limit yourself.. More money for headroom is a good thing, plus the advertisment to the none audiophile who intends on going Bose but seems the AD500 instead.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 108
Bose has stringent requirements that must be met for a vendor to become an authorized reseller. Also, if those who visit Headroom's website are swamped by well known products, they would be (imo) much less likely to experiment with other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back