Headroom Desktop Max vs Beta22
Nov 3, 2007 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

roastpuff

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I'm back on the warpath for a new amp! This time, I'm thinking of going back to solid-state circuitry instead of thermionic valves, and I've pretty much narrowed my choice to two amps - Beta22 (3-channel, possibly with integrated Opus DAC) or Headroom Desktop with Max Module (and possibly Max DAC). The PS Audio GCHA is a 3rd possible contender, but I'm not really looking at it right now because it lacks outputs and only has a USB DAC.

Price-wise, I think the two will end up around the same bracket (~950USD), when you look at the build cost of a well-made, well-equipped Beta22/Sigma22 with similar functionality (gain switch, dual headphone outputs, pre-amp function) the price for a Desktop with a Max module and Astrodyne brick. Therefore, the only real point of contention between the two is performance, tonal signature and practicality in daily use.

If anyone's heard the two of them together, please chime in on the thread, and let me know your thoughts. If you live with either, could you please also chime in on your experiences - how much space each takes up, heat, other quirks.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 10
If you're planning to come to the Seattle meet this month, I could bring my Beta22 which was built by n_maher with premium parts. Let me know.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're planning to come to the Seattle meet this month, I could bring my Beta22 which was built by n_maher with premium parts. Let me know.

I think it'll probably clash with my midterms and projects... we'll have to see. I want to see Justin's handiwork, too.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: grawk - Any particular reason for Beta22 over Desktop Max?

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 10
You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268632

No direct comparisons there but some very good info about the quality of the beta22 sound.

I found the comments about the beta being the equivalent of $5-6k commercial amps especially telling.

I've no direct experience with the Headroom so I can't comment, but IMO the beta is something very special. You can read my comments in the link in my sig. Though I'm currently still waiting for my PSU upgrade to be finished and don't have my beta at the moment, I can only say the more I listened to the beta, the more astonished I became.

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 10
Another consideration for me is the size of the Beta22. The Headroom Desktop and my current amp - ASL MG Head - both take up only a small amount of desk space, but the Beta22, from what I've seen, can get pretty big, even when in a dual-enclosure design.

Is Thrice still taking orders for SE B22's?

How big is the average Beta22, when cased?

jp, why do you prefer the Beta22 over the Desktop?

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Same thing jp11801 said, i've heard both and was far more impressed with the beta 22 as a single ended amp than I have ever been with any other Solid state se amp, but i really like headroom's balanced configurations.

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Never heard the Beta 22, but I've been more than happy with the HRD (maxed out with DPS). Before you decide, if you can swing it, I'd suggest testing the HRD. For my ears, it's best with computer as source running Foobar2000, out the USB to the HRD and to the GS1K (w/ BD) or K701. To me, it sounds better than the HRD-B with balanced HD650. Footprint is critical for me since I listen while working on the computer, and my desktop space is very limited. Whatever you decide, I have a feeling you can't go wrong with either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back