Headroom Desktop Amp / DAC Review
Apr 4, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #32 of 39
Firstly, I'm not trying to discourage the original poster by any means at all from his purchase of the Desktop or saying his setup isn't what it could be. I just thought I'd give my impressions after switching from my DPS back to the power supply it originally came with for a short listening session. While the sound doesn't improve leaps and bounds like it did from my total bithead (ya think?) I did notice something that is extremely hard to put my finger on. The only way I can seem to think to describe it is the music is more "alive" in some sense. Again I'm kinda at a loss to really flesh it out with words, a description of some sort. I'm sure a more experienced listener could but I am definitely not that.

Anyone have an Astrodyne PS that would care to elaborate, or someone who also has a DPS? I remember after I bought my Desktop I was looking at the site on Headroom, saw the DPS, read about it and just though "Good God do I need THAT as well?" their description on the site broke me and I bought it just so there wouldn't be a doubt in my mind I would have a good setup. I do think there's a difference.

And again, Jchandler, I really don't want you to read this and think you need a DPS. It sounds awesome without one.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #34 of 39
Thanks for your input, Paganini! I was hoping you'd post your thoughts. Really, that doesn't discourage me at all. I'm really happy with my setup as-is for now, but part of the reason I went with the Desktop is the versatility and opportunities for upgrade. The Max DAC, the Max amp, the DPS... they're all cheaper, easier, and (possibly) better alternatives to starting my "search" all over again.

The point is, I could be happy with the stock Desktop for a long time. But if I'm not, I know that it's at least a great starting point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have Headroom's Balanced Desktop and absolutely love it. It will be with me for quite some time. Congrats on a terrific amp!

Before finally settling with the Ultra Desktop, I had seriously thought of getting this one.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #36 of 39
what do you guys think of a Desktop driving HD 580s?  I prefer a slightly brighter sound and as you know the Senns are somewhat "laid back" in their sound.  I have never owned an amp and now realize that the Senns really need one.  The brightness switch appeals to me also.  Does anyone have this combo?  Would love to hear your thoughts.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #37 of 39
eirepaul - 

Since originally writing the review, I purchased the HD650s with the Cardas replacement cable. WOW! I don't notice the sennheiser "veil" at all. In my personal opinion, both as a music listener and musician, I really don't think the { HR Desktop + HD650 + Cardas } combo has a bias either way. It's very neutral. 

In any case, the Brightness filters make a huge difference and the Crossfeed adds a lot of low-end. The amp really allows you to customize your sound. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #38 of 39
That's what I was hoping to hear.  I also have the Cardas cable with my 580s - looks like I'll be trying a Desktop out.  I like the Headroom option of allowing straightforward returns if it's not what I am looking for.  Thanks for your input sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back