Headroom Cosmic - Dump or Keep
Aug 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Student_Driver

Head-Fier
Have been reading this Forum for several months considering my upgrade path. Have a HeadRoom Cosmic (circa 2002) and am wondering whether it is worth keeping and adding a portable DAC or whether the Amps currently offered have better quality? When I consider my home system, I'd not trade my Audible Illusions tubed pre-amp or Magnepan IIIAs (with Ribbon tweeters) for newer gear at the same price point. It would seem to me that new, does not necessarily mean better, but on the other hand, new technology, parts might be better... so pardon the 'noob' question, but where does the Cosmic stand vis a vis other amps.

My alternative is to ask a Head-Fi'er to do a Mod to my Stax SRM-001s. 

Portable Gear
Source: iPod, iPhone
Amp: HeadPhone Cosmic (c. 2002)
Headphones: UE Triple Fi, Monster Gold, Stax SRM-001, Sennheiser 580 (Cardas cables), Etymotic 4S

Another question. Am looking at the HM-602 but it appears that it only supports 16Bit. Am I correct in this? Am basing this assumption on looking at the the TI web site specs for the DAC chip. Like the fact that this DAC is 1/2 the price of the 801, but I think that 24 bit is a requirement of my DAC solution.

Thanks, Student

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 5
Do you want another portable, or have you considered a desktop amp? The HD-580 sounds great with a bit of power - maybe you'd like to put it on a set of tubes. Sorry I can't help with a portable comparison - I don't keep up with them.

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Well your Cosmic is at least 8-9 years old. I had a cosmic w/ reference module and sold it. Headphone Amp has come a long way in the past 8 years in terms of technology and it doesn't matter whether it is desktop or portable, they are much better than the cosmic now for the same price point. Most offerings from Headroom or RSA, Headamp or any other vender has better amp than the cosmic in the $400 to $700.00 range. To me at least, new does mean better. For instance, the headroom Micro or Ultra Micro Amp (both I've owned before, I have the BUDA now) are much better than the Cosmic in the same price range. You definitely need to upgrade your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back