Headphonia USB Dac Stick + Headstage Arrow 12HE vs iBasso D10
Jun 30, 2010 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

duke11235

New Head-Fier
Has anyone compared the two? I'm leaning towards the arrow due to crossfeed, variable impedance matching, and high power ouput. Anyone care to give a comment, as a review seems scarce of the combo.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
If you buy the USB stick you won't need the Arrow. That is, if the stick ever comes out.

The stick is more of a stationary home/transportable DAC + amplifier. The arrow is a portable amplifier. They are designed to serve different roles. That said, I don't like the added bulk of portable amps, but I'll definitely be getting the stick once my cans outgrow my TBAAM.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 11
The " stick " is a DAC and Amp.. the cable is a DAC   From the headphonia website "

USB DAC Stick

The USB DAC Stick is a small external sound card for your computer with a built-in high-power headphone amplifier."

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 11
I've used the D10 before, but not recently and can tell you the difference between the DAC used in both amps. Firstly, the USB dac cable is a love affair with me and I feel that it will be a great addition to a lot of computer set ups. There is nearly no noise in the signal and it fits anywhere. I use it with an iBasso T3D (love) which drives everything under the sun (in IEM land) perfectly. 

Ear impressions: the first thing I noticed with the USB DAC cable is that it is incredibly smooth. Gobs of midrange detail, but smooth with the same earphones that only moments before (out of the iPod touch or amped S:Flo) were throwing up gritty treble detail. After a lot of listening, I can tell you that the top end is rolled off by several decibels. It isn't enough to ruin music and some people may like it. If you have the SM3 or EM3Pro or another earphone with 'smooth' highs, the USB cable isn't the best choice. For ETY, UE, FitEar fans, however, I think it is a great match. For the money, the USB stick is unbeatable and I use it almost all the time. 

Personally, I'd prefer more top end detail, but that is Robert's decision. Just like the S:Flo, HiFiman, and some other sound designers, the Headphonia USB DAC cable is 'smooth' up top. Those who like it will love it - those who don't will probably move on.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I've used the D10 before, but not recently and can tell you the difference between the DAC used in both amps. Firstly, the USB dac cable is a love affair with me and I feel that it will be a great addition to a lot of computer set ups. There is nearly no noise in the signal and it fits anywhere. I use it with an iBasso T3D (love) which drives everything under the sun (in IEM land) perfectly. 

Ear impressions: the first thing I noticed with the USB DAC cable is that it is incredibly smooth. Gobs of midrange detail, but smooth with the same earphones that only moments before (out of the iPod touch or amped S:Flo) were throwing up gritty treble detail. After a lot of listening, I can tell you that the top end is rolled off by several decibels. It isn't enough to ruin music and some people may like it. If you have the SM3 or EM3Pro or another earphone with 'smooth' highs, the USB cable isn't the best choice. For ETY, UE, FitEar fans, however, I think it is a great match. For the money, the USB stick is unbeatable and I use it almost all the time. 

Personally, I'd prefer more top end detail, but that is Robert's decision. Just like the S:Flo, HiFiman, and some other sound designers, the Headphonia USB DAC cable is 'smooth' up top. Those who like it will love it - those who don't will probably move on.

The OP is asking for a comparison with the DAC Stick which is a DAC/Amp through USB. I'm not sure if the DAC Stick is out yet.

X2 with the DAC cable. I listen to it all the time through my laptop.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
The DAC cable/Arrow pair sounds very good. But the DAC cable/TTVJ hybrid pair is even better.

That amp by Todd looks really....really......unfair!  
tongue.gif
  Synergize well w/ warmer phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back