Headphones with "n" shaped response curve with good soundstage
Jan 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MrWhaffles

New Head-Fier
Hello guys! Long time lurker here in hope to find a pair of headphones within the following parameters:
-good soundstage
-"n" shaped response
-250 euro budget

This is about it. I know it's pretty hard since a lot of headphones have a "v" shaped response but i hope that someone can help me find something that is suitable.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
Hello guys! Long time lurker here in hope to find a pair of headphones within the following parameters:
-good soundstage
-"n" shaped response
-250 euro budget

This is about it. I know it's pretty hard since a lot of headphones have a "v" shaped response but i hope that someone can help me find something that is suitable.

Heya,

To be sure we understand what you want, you basically want something with forward mids, and less forward bass/treble. That's "N" to me.

If that's the case, I would suggest you really just get a flat headphone and equalize the treble and bass down a touch and you'll have what you're looking for. If you want it to be as close to that as possible on a headphone, it's going to be hard to find that really. There's plenty of headphones that have shy bass, but they usually have slightly bright treble with those forward mids.

The first headphone that I think of that has a stock "N" sound is the Fostex T50RP unmodded. It sounds like nothing but mids.

Otherwise, maybe look into some of these:

AKG K702
Koss DJ PRO 100
Shure SRH940
Beyer T70
AudioTechnica A700X
AudioTechnica AD900

And again, maybe just slightly equalize bass/treble to achieve the sound you're looking for.

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Heya,

To be sure we understand what you want, you basically want something with forward mids, and less forward bass/treble. That's "N" to me.

If that's the case, I would suggest you really just get a flat headphone and equalize the treble and bass down a touch and you'll have what you're looking for. If you want it to be as close to that as possible on a headphone, it's going to be hard to find that really. There's plenty of headphones that have shy bass, but they usually have slightly bright treble with those forward mids.

The first headphone that I think of that has a stock "N" sound is the Fostex T50RP unmodded. It sounds like nothing but mids.

Otherwise, maybe look into some of these:

AKG K702
Koss DJ PRO 100
Shure SRH940
Beyer T70
AudioTechnica A700X
AudioTechnica AD900

And again, maybe just slightly equalize bass/treble to achieve the sound you're looking for.

Very best,

Thank you for your help. Yes i mean less bass and treble, more mids. 

About your suggestions, can you recommend anything else? Because Audio-Technica is very expensive in Europe (dunno why), T70 are 450 euro and the K702 is about 350 i think (or close to it). The K701 is less but i don't know what the difference between them is.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 15
The HD 598 has an amazing soundstage, recessed highs, and reasonable bass. It's not very punchy or anything, but I'm not sure if that will perfectly fit the "n" signature you are looking for.

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 15
K501 comes to mind, but they are long discontinued.  They do have "some" treble extension, but IIRC it was smooth and gently rolled off.  It definitely was not treble-spikey or aggressive at all.

2 sites every Fi-er should bookmark...
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Thank you for your help. Yes i mean less bass and treble, more mids. 

About your suggestions, can you recommend anything else? Because Audio-Technica is very expensive in Europe (dunno why), T70 are 450 euro and the K702 is about 350 i think (or close to it). The K701 is less but i don't know what the difference between them is.

Heya,

The K702 and K701 are the same; the K702 is simply a different color and features a detachable cable. But on this note, you could also look at the Sennheiser HD598 and Sony MA900. And again, simply equalize to suit your preference on the treble/bass. These have great wide sound stages.

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 15
Thank you very much for your responses guys!

If there aren't any more suggestions I think that I'm going to get K701 if i want an open pair or SRH940 if i want a closed one.

EDIT: is the Sennheiser HD 600 any good?

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
There's also the Q701 from AKG, I don't know what (if any) differences there are between the K701, K702 and the Q701, but it seems to go for cheaper here.

Well i think that Q701 has better bass than the other models.
Where did you find the Q701 cheaper in Europe? I have searched for it but only found it to be more expensive not cheaper...

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 15
Q701 has more bass, and smoother treble.

I'd say try a Fostex T50RP. Everybody always says how much mids they have relative to the bass and highs.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 15
The 600 is very good. More mids than treble or bass, but neutral overall.

Quote:
Thank you very much for your responses guys!

If there aren't any more suggestions I think that I'm going to get K701 if i want an open pair or SRH940 if i want a closed one.

EDIT: is the Sennheiser HD 600 any good?

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 15
Beyer DT250 250ohm, usually gets overlooked, often compared to the HD600. Some prefer one or the other.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 15
Also Sony CD900ST, GMP 450 pro/CharterOak SP-1, Beyer DT-48, Sony MD900, etc.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Hmm that Sony CD900ST looks nice, how's the soundstage?

And about the fostex, yeah i was considering buying those, but when the price is 200$ in EU I'm not so sure it's a good decision to buy them.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #15 of 15
I might pick up a CD900ST in a couple weeks, after I get my tax check. I need something I can use anywhere and is durable. I used to have a Beyer DT880 pro 250ohm so now I want something different. The Shure SRH1440 is Also tempting but doesn't look as durable. If I get the Sony I'll let you know. I don't expect much of a soundstage, not what it is designed for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back