Headphones with good and FAST bass? (for electronic music)
Mar 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:
New series Denon a-hd600 is for sale now at many places (250$/ 180£)
If you have bigger head and don`t mind that they ar 1.5 heavier than you would like to. Its the way to go, its really good and FAST bass...
Other issues shouldn`t be a big problem, as long you have good headphones for other music.
I bought them to listen Progressive/ Trance. They are ok, nice clean but have some...its hard to say.. tone? 
Just imagine you have the best and brightest monitor in the world, and it has that old`ish protective film to protect your eyes.
And woman voices sometimes sounds strange (thanks to more bass and closed cans).
Hope that helps.
Sorry for bad english.

+1

i found the D600 to have an odd tonality as well. its not that they're colored or anything, just that they are lacking in transparency and naturalness, it has good detail and a good sound, but its like hearing entry level stuff, lacks depth and refinement, with a flat sound, theres no air or richness in the music.  the bass is fast, but nothing amazing, the bass is nice and strong, but lacks control and texture. its one-note muddy kinda bass. good things about the denons is that they do sound decent overall and are musical, its an ok headphone, but dt 990s, ultrasones, and the old denons are better.

i think for 250$ its not a bad purchase, imo but theres better offerings out there from beyer, sennheiser, and ultrasone.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 55
Yes, she explained much better :) But for £176 for new closed cans (which i need at night-time) headphone with that bass and still good sound i cant imagine anything else ATM. Because its an issue with MANY high-end headphones, they are open and lacks the bass.
Edit: get SoundMagic PL-11 in-ear for £20 and wont be disappointed :) If in-ear is not BIG issue.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

+1

i found the D600 to have an odd tonality as well. its not that they're colored or anything, just that they are lacking in transparency and naturalness, it has good detail and a good sound, but its like hearing entry level stuff, lacks depth and refinement, with a flat sound, theres no air or richness in the music.  the bass is fast, but nothing amazing, the bass is nice and strong, but lacks control and texture. its one-note muddy kinda bass. good things about the denons is that they do sound decent overall and are musical, its an ok headphone, but dt 990s, ultrasones, and the old denons are better.

i think for 250$ its not a bad purchase, imo but theres better offerings out there from beyer, sennheiser, and ultrasone.

Would you say that the Pro 900's are better than the D600's? Both seem to be criticized by many for sounding unnatural. I remember reading somewhere you had the Pro 900s but found them to be sibilant; on the other hand it seems like most people who have heard the D600's don't like them.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:
Under $500 : HE-400

Under $1000 : no doubt LCD2 (Either revision)

beerchug.gif

+1. I know you said affordable but if you want epic sound with epic speed IMO orthos are a must. The mad dogs are great at 300 bucks. That is close to what the pro 900s are at. Only thing with orthos is most of them like a good amount of ampage. If you really want to stick to your price and don't mind modding you could get a stock T50rp for like 100 bucks, look at the modding stuff around here on head-fi, do your own mods, and make a kickarshe headphone for maybe 200 bucks tops. Once again though, amp is a must IMO for orthos, but nothing beats their speed. ( in the under 500 ish range

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Would you say that the Pro 900's are better than the D600's? Both seem to be criticized by many for sounding unnatural. I remember reading somewhere you had the Pro 900s but found them to be sibilant; on the other hand it seems like most people who have heard the D600's don't like them.

i think the pro 900s are slightly better, they have more bass, they are punchier, and are a bit more resolving in detail. soundstage is about the same cause of the S logic that ultrasone does, it helps a bit. mids are recessed on the pro 900 but don't sound too bad, with a good SS amp, the pro 900s sounds really good, tubes can make them sound worse, colors the sound way too much. 

if you  want alot of bass and can deal with extra treble, definitely go for the pro 900s, much better build quality, bass, and overall sound. however, they also can have an unnatural sound to them, like a metallic sparkly treble which isn't too bad, but gets harsh and sibilant as you raise the volume on the headphones. for electronic music however, the pro 900s actually sound very good, much better than the denons in this regard. another option would be to try and get a used Denon Ah-D2000 from the forums, these are very good all rounders, however, the pro 900 would be better for just electronic music alone since denons don't have much midbass punch, they focus more on the subbass. the D5000 would be a great headphone, but those are more expensive now. 

the ultrasone is very good for electronic music, one of the best. but is less suited for other styles of music, where the odd treble and midrange seems a little off. 

if the OP just listens to primarily electronic music, i would once again go with the HE-400 recommendation followed by the Pro 900. i have the HE-500, which i think is the best electronic headphone i have heard along with the LCD-2, the HE-400 will sound about the same, though with more bass emphasis, so i strongly recommend it.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #22 of 55
Thanks! I'm actually not a basshead, but I've decided I should have at least one set of bass heavy closed headphones for noisy environments, since it seems like the bass gets drowned out first. And I could use them to pull non audiophiles who wouldn't appreciate a balanced or mids centric sound signature into headphones.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:
Vmoda m100s are an amazing set of cans. The bass is amazing

I would agree that the M100 is great if you are specifically looking for a closed, portable set of headphones that does bass very well and your budget extends to $300. Ultrasone Pro 900 is another solid alternative that the price.

I am curious if anyone who has heard both recently can offer their comparisons.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:
I would agree that the M100 is great if you are specifically looking for a closed, portable set of headphones that does bass very well and your budget extends to $300. Ultrasone Pro 900 is another solid alternative that the price.

LOL, you don't remember? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #25 of 55
I second the Mad Dog if you can stretch for it and benefit of a closed headphone.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #26 of 55
Pro 900 has a sharp treble spike (this makes electronic stuff too bright) and much higher than average distortion down low. If you are looking for "fast" bass (bump likely between 80hz and 200hz) consider the Q40 or if a bit darker is more your flavour consider the 700MKii. For good, linear, low distortion, flat (no bass emphesis) the Orthos are nice too.
The 770s will never give you that "fast" bass feel as they have more emphesis in the sub bass area.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:
Uhhh, how about something a bit more affordable? :wink:

150€ / 200$ is my limit, at least for a while. (And the problem with all the headphones i tried was not them sounding "bad", just not really working with fast bass-heavy music, so i hope theres something in the lower priceranges that's good enough for now)

Will test HD380s next, and after that maybe the Shure 840, they seem to be compared with the Senns sometimes.

But thanks for the advice anyways, if i ever start a coke binge i will probably open this thread again and order some LCD2's. :wink:

How about the HFI-580, cheaper version of Pro 900? These cans have grown in me time after time.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:
I was that close to ordering ATH-M50s, but it seems Audio Technica silently updated them and the new version has much weaker bass.

Ya should've given em a shot. They're some pretty darn pleasing cans to me! Where the heck did you hear they modified the sound signature??

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:
Vmoda m100s are an amazing set of cans. The bass is amazing

For electronic music the M100s are hard to match, tried both the HE 400 and M100 in store on various amps...and I enjoyed the M100's more forward, engaging sound and the punchy detailed bass was much more present on the M100's.

It makes electronica a wonderful experience, I also owned the Pro 900's and D2000's and I prefer the M100's over both.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

You obviously have heard them since you recommend them, so why not offer your comparisons? I would love to hear them, as I have not heard either of these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back