Headphones with good and FAST bass? (for electronic music)
Mar 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

talkinghead

New Head-Fier
Ugh.

I'm looking for Headphones (open or closed is not that important) with good, decently deep and punchy (at least Sennheiser HD25-1 level) FAST bass. Just ones that are actually somewhat comfortable to wear with glasses. For home use, portability is a bonus but not important.

I can drive them from a dedicated soundcard or stereo amp.

Headphones i have already tried:

-HD25-1: Great, no soundstage and comfort being the main problems.
-HD 558: Yeah, i don't know what i was even thinking.
-DT770pro 250ohm: Great, except so slow in the lower frequencies all music above 170 bpm sounds "broken". (And yes i have heard the tracks on many big subwoofer/PA systems before, it is not supposed to sound like that)
-FA-003: Even with equing the bass has little to no impact, way too boring for fast electronic music.

I was that close to ordering ATH-M50s, but it seems Audio Technica silently updated them and the new version has much weaker bass.

Someone help me before i Kramer-Mod these KSC-75s and give up on expensive headphones. (Because it does seem like a waste to listen to 24-bit FLAC with 15 dollar headphones :p)

Edit: Can anyone say something about the Senn HD 380/280 Pros?
It seems these might be similar in sound to the HD25's while being more comfortable...

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 55
Under $500 : HE-400

Under $1000 : no doubt LCD2 (Either revision)

beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 55
Uhhh, how about something a bit more affordable? :wink:

150€ / 200$ is my limit, at least for a while. (And the problem with all the headphones i tried was not them sounding "bad", just not really working with fast bass-heavy music, so i hope theres something in the lower priceranges that's good enough for now)

Will test HD380s next, and after that maybe the Shure 840, they seem to be compared with the Senns sometimes.

But thanks for the advice anyways, if i ever start a coke binge i will probably open this thread again and order some LCD2's. :wink:

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinghead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-DT770pro 250ohm: Great, except so slow in the lower frequencies all music above 170 bpm sounds "broken". (And yes i have heard the tracks on many big subwoofer/PA systems before, it is not supposed to sound like that)

If you do not mind using open headphones, you may want to try the DT990 Pro instead, which costs the same and is similar, except being more focused on mid-bass rather than sub-bass, so the bass should be "faster", and it also has better clarity in the mid-range.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 55
Ultrasone Pro 750 have very impressive bass speed considering how much they have. They have more bass, and cleaner bass than the likes of the Denon D2000's and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros.

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 55
M Audio Q40, seriously amazing bass and everything else for that matter for such a small outlay.

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 55
Thanks for all the suggestions, will try them out over the next few weeks prolly.

Besides the HD380 i also plan on testing the Creative Aurvana Live, all the reviews indicate that it has good and fast bass and is very comfortable. (Anyone ever annoy his CALs with some gabber or speedcore? :wink:)

Edit: Not that i listen to either of those two genres, heres some youtube links of what i actually do listen to in case anyone feels like giving his headphones and mind a wild ride :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkkw44gIF0s

http://youtu.be/EL7Xp0-gWts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tfUbeyelWc

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 55
The tightest bass I have ever heard in a sub-500 dollar headphone is the AKG Q701. You can find them used/ refurbished for 200 bucks easily.

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:
Ugh.

I'm looking for Headphones (open or closed is not that important) with good, decently deep and punchy (at least Sennheiser HD25-1 level) FAST bass. Just ones that are actually somewhat comfortable to wear with glasses. For home use, portability is a bonus but not important.

I can drive them from a dedicated soundcard or stereo amp.

Headphones i have already tried:

-HD25-1: Great, no soundstage and comfort being the main problems.

Re. soundstage: just use a player with controls for crossfeed and separation width. As for comfort, the headsets take a bout a month to break in, plus you have to remember that clamping force increases with the separation of the bands - if the clamping is too tight, push the bands towards each other.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

If you do not mind using open headphones, you may want to try the DT990 Pro instead, which costs the same and is similar, except being more focused on mid-bass rather than sub-bass, so the bass should be "faster", and it also has better clarity in the mid-range.

Thanks, i actually just tried EQing the DT770s (reduced subbass a bit and raised midbass) and they already feel quite a bit faster. Punch is rather lacking though, and somehow the bass while being strong just has is not very defined.
Is this what i could expect from a DT990? If the bass is *quite* a bit faster than a DT770 and punch/texture at least a bit better it might be good enough in that department.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:
Thanks, i actually just tried EQing the DT770s (reduced subbass a bit and raised midbass) and they already feel quite a bit faster. Punch is rather lacking though, and somehow the bass while being strong just has is not very defined.

The lack of punch is because of the lack of upper bass (~200 Hz). The DT770 has a dip in the frequency response there, but the DT990 does not.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 55
New series Denon a-hd600 is for sale now at many places (250$/ 180£)
If you have bigger head and don`t mind that they ar 1.5 heavier than you would like to. Its the way to go, its really good and FAST bass...
Other issues shouldn`t be a big problem, as long you have good headphones for other music.
I bought them to listen Progressive/ Trance. They are ok, nice clean but have some...its hard to say.. tone? 
Just imagine you have the best and brightest monitor in the world, and it has that old`ish protective film to protect your eyes.
And woman voices sometimes sounds strange (thanks to more bass and closed cans).
Hope that helps.
Sorry for bad english.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back