Headphones with best soundstage + a
Feb 12, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #16 of 30
Easy to drive, GREAT bass, even better Soundstage and non fatiguing treble? You're describing one of my favorite headphones:
Beyerdynamic T 1.3.
A really great headphone that a lot of 'audiophiles' sleep on because 1) it's too different than the previous generation. 2) its a very low ohm/ high sensitivity headphone. The snobs hate it because you don't have to have a mega buck amp to make it sing.
I thought people hated it because the FR was objectively garbage.

Feb 12, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #17 of 30
ZMF Verite open
ZMF Atrium
ZMF Auteur classic
AKG K701/702< might be too bass light for OP
Actually already have a Atrium and looking for a can to complement it, so something that sounds larger/brighter than an Atrium would be what I'm looking for.

So far the HE1000V2 (non-stealth) turned out to be the best match, compromising some drivability. But I haven't listened to them yet so don't know for sure if they'd be too bright.
Still searching so any recommendations would be welcome

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #18 of 30
Actually already have a Atrium and looking for a can to complement it, so something that sounds larger/brighter than an Atrium would be what I'm looking for.

So far the HE1000V2 (non-stealth) turned out to be the best match, compromising some drivability. But I haven't listened to them yet so don't know for sure if they'd be too bright.
Still searching so any recommendations would be welcome
Susvara?

Feb 12, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 30
I thought people hated it because the FR was objectively garbage.
I had T5.3 which is similar enough; FR is not so great if you want everything dead flat, but Beyerdynamic clearly went for a more consumer-focused tuning, with elevated bass and minimal harshness in both highs and mids. Details are still there but you have to listen closer for them; this headphone was tuned for a more relaxed listen over details shoved in your face. An added bonus is, as already mentioned, its low power requirements; any phone will drive it well, though it does scale with power.

Feb 12, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #20 of 30
The snobs hate it because you don't have to have a mega buck amp to make it sing.

I don't think that's it. After all, TH900s sound great out of a phone and nobody hates them, not even the sn0bs :D

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #21 of 30
AKG k712 pro?

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #23 of 30
Looking for headphones with a large soundstage PLUS:

- not bright or shrill sounding
- decent bass
- not terribly hard to drive

Not considering price at this point, because finding a can that fits those criteria is hard to begin with.

So far the best match in my search were Hifiman Arya or HEKse(albeit a slightly leaner tonality than my liking)

Any suggestions?
Do you even have the electronics to get the best soundstage? What are the associated equipment?

Feb 12, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 30
Planning to run it on a Fiio Q7.
Electronics for 'best soundstage'? Sure the gear helps, but it's not gonna make every headphone a HD800.
Receiver is the most important part
DAC is extremely important. Even Grado can have really good soundstage with a good dac. Only need an amp that's sufficiently transparent and powerful to properly drive the cans of your choice. Most of the cans actually have decent soundstage when you feed them properly. The difference would be a 3-5 inches in front of your head for your average cans to 6-8 inches for soundstage champs. I have not heard a single pair of headphones that's "in your head" when you feed it properly - even the lovely KSC75.

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #26 of 30
I don't think that's it. After all, TH900s sound great out of a phone and nobody hates them, not even the sn0bs :D
I say 'the snobs' because if you look at all the reviews that panned the T 1.3, the majority of them made a big deal about how the 1.1 & 1.2 were both 600ohm and therefore more 'hifi'. Multiple reviews were like, "they shouldn't even call it a T 1, hmpf!" The consensus from the 'experts' was that if you can use it with a DAP or a phone then somehow it's no longer worthy.

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #27 of 30
I say 'the snobs' because if you look at all the reviews that panned the T 1.3, the majority of them made a big deal about how the 1.1 & 1.2 were both 600ohm and therefore more 'hifi'. Multiple reviews were like, "they shouldn't even call it a T 1, hmpf!" The consensus from the 'experts' was that if you can use it with a DAP or a phone then somehow it's no longer worthy.
Ok, fair point. But that is probably more about breaking tradition than the fact it's ok for a phone which changes the traditional customer to a non-hi (commodity) customer and also probably the sound signature. I haven't heard any of the T1s so I don't know about what happened in this case.

Anyway, Sennheiser went off the rails badly when they started down this path and I'm sure Beyer stalwarts have concerns that similar things don't happen to their favorite company.

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #28 of 30
It was Sennheiser consumer-grade gear that opened my eyes to better sound. A pair of HD202-II's.
One night I came home and a housemate's Chihuahua was on my bed chewing them. She'd chewed through the cables. And then she pissed on my bed.

RIP HD202-II's. The picture I took of them straight afterwards is my Bandcamp banner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back