Headphones with a max input power of 30mW vs 100MW?
Aug 13, 2011 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Brettt

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of headphone with a max input power of 100mW.  I m going to get a pair of headphone of a max input power of 30mW and I was just wondering what is the difference?  Thank You

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 10
The 100mW headphones are Skullcandy's 2XL's Shakedowns and the 30mW headphones are Skullcandy Icon 2's.  I use the Skullcandy's 2xl Shakedowns for sudio use for mixing.  I want to use the Icons 2 for the same reason. To be honest the skullcandy 2xl shakedowns are not bad at all for the purpose I use them for. The shakedowns are a little more bassy so I ordered the icon 2 for a more natural sound going by the specs.  I was ust wondering with 30mW of max input power if I won't blow out the drivers.  I thin it will be fine though.

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 10
I know what you should do, just to make sure the headphones aren't a problem.

Don't buy Skullcandy.

What's your budget? I'm sure everyone here would be more than welcome to find you a better headphone.

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 10
I know alot of brands are better than Skull candy's.  I have a pair of Akg's 240's and a pair of Sony mdr-v150's.  I am doing this as a experiment.  That why I did not want to give a name of the brand of headphones at first.  I tried the 2xl shakedowns they are honestly no that bad for studio use and not the greatest.  I am not a professional just a hobbyist.  My akg's are alot better and so are my Sony's but the skull candy 2xl can get the job does as well.   The Icon 2's I can't say because I did not get them in the mail yet.  I ordered them because they have a more natural sound more closer to the mdr-v150's so what I herd.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 10
First of all Brett, you should NEVER, I repeat, NEVER use skullcandys to do any sort of monitoring/mixing. Those headphones are more of a fashion statement if anything.. You need to compare headphone models and pay attention to the fact skullcandys have a terrible frequency response...  But, if your OK with your mixes sounding awful, be my guest. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 10
I don't think one should accuse OP for making awful sounding mixes just because he uses Skullcandy.

Anyway, the 100mW thing is probably because they require more power to function at it's best (bigger drivers maybe?).

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Anyway, the 100mW thing is probably because they require more power to function at it's best (bigger drivers maybe?).

No, it is the maximum amount of continuous power the headphone can handle (according to the manufacturer) without the risk of driver damage. It does not mean that you actually need (or would even want) to drive them at that level, as it would likely be too loud. An example: the AKG K701 is rated for 200 mW power, while the same spec is 1600 mW for the ATH-M50; however, the K701 is obviously not easier to drive, it just means that the M50 can be driven to extremely loud levels.

May 30, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #10 of 10
  Don't bother readings those specs they're all B/S

That's not always true.  It depends on the company.  For example, Audio-Technica, sennheiser or shure specs give you somewhat of an idea of what to expect. 

However, some companies just place whatever and the specs might not be accurate.  I'm not sure about skullcandy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back