Headphones under $350 with very specific things that I need them to have.
Mar 22, 2012 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tals

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so... I just got my salery of around 400$ (I know its not much, I dont work full time).. Now, I live in Israel so I need to include shipping which will be around $80.
If it's a little over 350$ overall, it's ok. I can get more money. MUSIC IS MA LIFE!!
Right not I have the AKG K518DJ, which are quite good but no soundstage, bass is decent, it hurts my ears, and it has toooo much pressure.
The headphones will be used to listen to music at my room, rarley on airplans, on the road (Im not driving it haha), so isolating outside noise is ok but not important.
So I want you guy's reccomendation for good headphones that will fit me. So.. Here's what I need the cans to have :)

1) Deep bass, but not overwhelming like the beat's that you can only hear bass and everything dissapears. They need to have an impact, that I will feel the bass but still hear everything alse. And the bass MUST be not muddy. I want it clear, fast, impacty and.. Clear :)
2) I prefer it to be open. I heard open has much better soundstage and overall better sound. I want huge soundstage! No isolation needed at all.
3) Must be over-the-ear not on ear. The ear is this - o  and the headphones are - O.
4) Clear sound overall, I want it to be FAST, as fast as possible. I like noticing every single little detail 
beyersmile.png
5) They MUST be comfterable as they will be used for 1-4 hours trips, around 7 hours of flights sometimes, and hours infront of the TV and my computer.
6) I am wearing glasses, currently I have to adjust my glasses and cans every time I take it off and back on, since it has so much pressure it hurts.
7) I dont want any 3rd side companys like Sony.. I want pure headphones makers (Well... Pure music devices makers)
I think that's it...
I am using an Fiio E?.
My type of music that I hear is Pop (not the noisy annoying type... Demi lovato's SkyScraper will be a good example for you to hear what I listen to), R&B, such as Beyonce, Demi Lovato, Shakira, Jessie J, Coldplay, Kelly Clarkson, A little Christina Aguilera, etc.
Stuff like that :)
Some links to my fav music :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8ydghbGSg&ob=av2e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByLJstEo0fo&list=UU9zX2xZIJ4cnwRsgBpHGvMg&index=1&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&list=UU9zX2xZIJ4cnwRsgBpHGvMg&NR=1&v=OJBfv9CHlcw
Etc etc.
I listen to music from CDs ONLY.
I have in mind: AKG K702, AKG K240MkII, Denon AH-D2000, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro, Sennheiser HD650, HD600.
Also, please reccomend a Fiio headphones amp.. And a Fiio DAC please :) I am thinking E9 and E7 maybe?
Thanks SO much for everyone who write ANYTHING!

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm gonna say the Beyerdynamic DT990 from the list since it's open, while the DT770 is closed. I would recomend the non DT990 pro version as the pro version is a little less comfortable overall. Needs decent amping though unless you get hold of a 32Ohm version.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 16
ultrasone pro 2900? bassy, fast, open. gg?

you say you want open cans for occasional flights? doesnt sound sound.

edit: google says avalive.com has them for $375, otherwise they kinda pricey. would be worth it either way though imo.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 16
Bump?
I am just really worried that if I buy that pair of headphones with the Fiio E9+E7 combo and spend around $550, I would be dissapointed that it wont be that much of a difference. Is there major difference? Is it worth the investment?

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 16
Ahlan,

Looking at your previous threads it seems like you're having a serious headache to decide on what to go for... Are you sure you're content on other people's opnions and going 'blind' instead of trying to audiotion several models yourself? Yeah, i know what we have here barely scrapes the surface of waht's usually being discussed here, espcially the hot&new stuff. But if you're having hard time to get the ticket here it's the surest way to make a sound (pun) decision for yourself, based on your ears. 
Have you gone and heard the K240 mkII? You can also hear the K181DJ which can be found rather cheap and the Ultrasone Pro750 or Pro2400 iirc.

Now with that said, the clearest AND the fastest dynamic 'phones that i heard happen to be the Sony MDR-SA5000, now discountined... The current MDR-Z1000 are very close second, are bassier (the tight, articulate and punchy type that i also prefer) and with better mids tonality. and are very much efficient so you probaly won;t need much of an amp to get the most of them. You can also take a leap of faith and go for the AT-A900X which are great FWIR and i do remeber the older A900 very fondly.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Ahlan,

Looking at your previous threads it seems like you're having a serious headache to decide on what to go for... Are you sure you're content on other people's opnions and going 'blind' instead of trying to audiotion several models yourself? Yeah, i know what we have here barely scrapes the surface of waht's usually being discussed here, espcially the hot&new stuff. But if you're having hard time to get the ticket here it's the surest way to make a sound (pun) decision for yourself, based on your ears. 
Have you gone and heard the K240 mkII? You can also hear the K181DJ which can be found rather cheap and the Ultrasone Pro750 or Pro2400 iirc.

Now with that said, the clearest AND the fastest dynamic 'phones that i heard happen to be the Sony MDR-SA5000, now discountined... The current MDR-Z1000 are very close second, are bassier (the tight, articulate and punchy type that i also prefer) and with better mids tonality. and are very much efficient so you probaly won;t need much of an amp to get the most of them. You can also take a leap of faith and go for the AT-A900X which are great FWIR and i do remeber the older A900 very fondly.

Hey! So the problem is that I live in israel, and pepole buy beats and skullcandy here for 300$ but overlook the 200$ AKGs. I couldent find a single store that sells the K550, not to mention the others you mentioned up there. We mostly have low end AKG, some cheap Sony, Logitech, and a whole bunch of beats.
I know I like the AKG sound since I got the k518DJ right now, on me, and I like it, its ok. The thing is I am not sure if the upgrade is worth it, if the headphones will have that much of a difference from the k518DJ. I am not sure it will live up to my expectations... Is there that much of a difference?
It took me a lot of time to get this kinda money (I am only 14). I really like music and I am not sure this is the right choice for me. I will also walk publicly with this cans so it can't be ugly, yet the k550 is awfully elegantic, and very beautiful. I like them more than the beats, to be honest (in terms of looks).
So... Yeah. I think I am leaning to the k550 with the Fiio e7+e9 combo.
Are these good prices? I kinda wish to get them asap. If you have any online store that is working with akg, that sells genuine akg products, and can ship to israel (with or without free shipping, preffered with :) I would be very interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-E7-E9-Headphones-Amplifier-Earphones-Desktop-DAC-/270788768208?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0c44b1d0#ht_3427wt_1163
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AKG-Acoustics-K550-Closed-Back-Reference-Headphones-/280849156576?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4163ea09e0#ht_3608wt_1139
Thanks alot for your help.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 16
Have you read K550 impressions? seems like they don't have bass as robust as you'd like. You can call Kilombo DJ store and ask them if they'll have in stock.

Best all-around 'phones IME are the Z1000, If you want to use 'em practically anywhere.

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Have you read K550 impressions? seems like they don't have bass as robust as you'd like. You can call Kilombo DJ store and ask them if they'll have in stock.

Best all-around 'phones IME are the Z1000, If you want to use 'em practically anywhere.

I will. Thanks :) Are you from israel 2?

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #14 of 16
I've never used the ZX1000 but purely based on requirements listed, it fits the bill almost perfectly.  If you can get one for that price, I say go for it and let us know the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back