Headphones under $150?
Aug 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #16 of 38
The Beats are a joke, as far as sound-quality goes. M-50's are way over-hyped, if you ask me. The bass on those is bloated and the treble is way too pronounced to be called balanced.

If you can get a good deal off a pair of HD600's or HD650's - you'll be set for a long time. Those just might be a bit off your budget, but not too much used. If you want an awesome option for really cheap, the Creative Aurvana Lives are a great choice. The price is nowhere near the quality you'll get with these cans. Super-deep bass, quite nice soundstage and great comfort for very few bucks.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #18 of 38
Well after about a week of research, I THINK i've narrowed it down to two headphones. The ATH M-50 and the HFI 580.
I hear the M50 has more bass, which I definitely like. Even if the mids and highs arent as great as the HFI, I like it. To be honest, my brothers pair of Beat (solo) sound just pretty good to me. I think with either headphone I would be happy. So if the M-50 has more bass, is it the one I should go with (i just read DougeeFresh's comparison of the two, really helpful).
What are some cons to both headphones?
And what are the biggest differences between the 2?
I'm really stuck. If there's not much of a difference, I'll probably go with the 580's because they look the nicest to me and are cheapest
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 38
The HFI580s have more bass I would say, but I find their treble too harsh.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #20 of 38
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but in a few weeks I am going on vacation to Arizona. While I am down there I think I will try to try on a few pairs of headphones, so I can try them on and listen to them for myself. Where would be a good place to do this?
The models I'm interested in are the
SRH 750DJ
ATH M50
Ultrasone HFI-580
and the M-audio q40, and V-moda CF lp I kind of want to look into. Would there be a certain store that carries all these types of headphones? I would prefer to go to one store and be able to try on a lot of different models, I really dont want to waste a whole day of my vacation driving all over the place looking for headphones. I won't even be able to buy them until I sell my current headphones, but I would like to have an idea of what is comftorable to me.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #22 of 38
I was looking those but most people seem to think they arent very comftorable. I think I am going to end up with the 580's. I just want to try them on before I buy them.
What is the difference between the 580, 680, and 780? Also, are the PRO 550's (ultrasone) the same as any of ultrasones other models?
And would 750 DJ's maybe fit me better?

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:
I"m about to buy some JVC iem's that use that nanotube technology... I kind of want to see how well it works otut

The HA-FX40s? I own those too. I'm...not impressed with them. They're definitely for treble-heads (read: no bass). The 500s, on the other hands, are bass monsters when they need to be, and the 400s are coming around to the US pretty soon and get a lot of love (especially at their $35 price point). 

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #27 of 38
Grr... A bunch of guys in my other thread talked me into it. I was and still am a little reluctant to try it out... I wanted either the Mee M16 or the SM PL21. I'm just going to read that 256 IEM review and start over. I just want a headphone with just above average bass, and non-reccessed mids... (I dont want that V shape sound)

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:
Grr... A bunch of guys in my other thread talked me into it. I was and still am a little reluctant to try it out... I wanted either the Mee M16 or the SM PL21. I'm just going to read that 256 IEM review and start over. I just want a headphone with just above average bass, and non-reccessed mids... (I dont want that V shape sound)

Yeah, that tread convinced me too. Definitely a nice IEM...for people who are allergic to bass. The HA-S500s seem like they'd fit your bill. They fold nicely (no carrying case, sadly, but they're about the same size as the Solo, so there are gobs of aftermarket cases you could get for it), have a tiny bit of a bass emphasis, and can best be described as a better version of the M50s, with a bit more of a "bass bite" (at least with the stock pads.) I've dropped them several times and have left them in a freezing car overnight, and they still work fine.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #29 of 38
I am somewhat decided on the HFI-580. If the price doesnt drop in the next 3 months, I'll get the 780, which at this point are about $3 more on amazon.
And I won't be getting a new pair of headphones if my AE2's dont sell
mad.gif

They have been on ebay twice and craigslist once... I don't get it. Since when does everyone on those two websites realize bose is 80% advertising?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back