Headphones under $150 that will compete with top end headphones?
Mar 19, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #46 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol @ people who lol @ people who lol @ people who pay 1000+ on headphones they're gonna use at home because speakers are 10x better and more comfy.

And yes i r jealz
triportsad.gif

LOL @ people who use LOL.
biggrin.gif
LOL!

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #47 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol @ people who lol @ people who lol @ people who pay 1000+ on headphones they're gonna use at home because speakers are 10x better and more comfy.

And 20x as expensive
smily_headphones1.gif

no trolz plz. Last I checked this was the Headphones section of the forum, and a thread about headphones.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #48 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And 20x as expensive
smily_headphones1.gif

no trolz plz. Last I checked this was the Headphones section of the forum, and a thread about headphones.

Sorry officer, was just voicing my opinion when I was assaulted with his mean anti-liberty words.

I have decided to GTFO because I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to top-end headphones
deadhorse.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #50 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No such thing. It's a pipe dream and the DT48 doesn't even come close to the top headphones. I wish I could tell you otherwise but it's the cold truth in my experience.

Right........
duggehsmile.png
Check out my DT48 appreciation thread. It was made for comments like this.. Guess they all like awful sounding headphones. In the end it's all about preference. So, yeah.. opinions..

As for comparison to the K-1000, the DT48 has a similar neutral timbre and excellent range. The DT48 is faster, more transparent and more resolving to me. I can pick out details I haven't noticed before.
Uncle Erik

Regarding your question about the DF's they are flat as they come within the realm of normal headphones. But the DT48 is on a different plane of flatness -- the DFs are literally nowhere near the DT48's in terms of neutrality. Of the headphones of heard, nothing is (including my K1000's)
Milezone

The comment is in French but to sum up the guy says this: "it has the most faithful and beautiful mids i've heard in 30 years". He also says both treble and bass are a bit rolled off, but nothing frustrating. The other headphones he had were not especially high end but the HE60 is a nice reference.
mobbaddict

I had the chance of a brief contact with R10 (together with Linn Ikemi and Mapletree) and that was the ultimate experience for me. Nothing that I've heard after could equal the transparence, detail, body and, over all, midrange from that rig. Obviously DT48e wouldn't resist an A/B comparison. But for me (and only from my memories) the DT48e has the closest sound signature that I've listened.
Take this as it is: just the sensation of a newbie that knows for sure what kind of sound he's looking for.
Vermellfort

I'm still considering the HD800 or the O2 with a dedicated amplifier, but for the time being I'm very happy with my purchase. On the downside, their resolution and tonal accuracy is so good that stopped being fun listening to some recordings, fortunately my favourite songs are still filled with passion and closer to reality.
Axle 69

It's simple, the DT48's are one of if not the most neutral, reliable, accurate, resolving headphones under 1000 dollars.
Milezone

- truly excellent separation, clarity, and imaging
- good detail, probably the best i've encountered but it's not as mind boggling as i expected
- excellent speed - articulation for complex passages in chamber music is astonishing
Kukrisna

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #51 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the can, I would suspect woodies cost a fair bit more, as do headphoens with intricately designed parts.

You have to consider advertising, R&D costs, as well as a whole bunch of other factors in the final price. I'll tell you this though, they certainly cost a whole lot more to manufacture than the headphones under $150.

And to answer your original question, there is not a single headphone under $150 that will compete with any headphone over $300, even over $250. The DT48s are neutral, but they do not come anywhere near better headphones, and also the best DT48s which are the original manufacture version are the only ones that might be better than other headphones up to $500, and the original run version costs a lot more than $150.

First you want headphones that sound like speakers under $150 now you want ones that compete with high end headphones under $150? Here's some food for thought, if headphones like that existed why would ANYBODY buy a high end headphone, ever? Either up your budget or enjoy what you can afford man.

Wrong.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #52 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL @ people who use LOL.
biggrin.gif
LOL!

Touche, my good man.

I agree with your post before that one though, there is nothing wrong with spending a lot of money on something that makes you happy. I see no problem with spending $500,000 on speakers, nor do I see a problem with spending $1000 on headphones. If you've got the money and it makes you happy, do what you want!

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #53 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right........
duggehsmile.png
Check out my DT48 appreciation thread. It was made for comments like this.. Guess they all like awful sounding headphones. In the end it's all about preference. So, yeah.. opinions..

As for comparison to the K-1000, the DT48 has a similar neutral timbre and excellent range. The DT48 is faster, more transparent and more resolving to me. I can pick out details I haven't noticed before.
Uncle Erik

Regarding your question about the DF's they are flat as they come within the realm of normal headphones. But the DT48 is on a different plane of flatness -- the DFs are literally nowhere near the DT48's in terms of neutrality. Of the headphones of heard, nothing is (including my K1000's)
Milezone

The comment is in French but to sum up the guy says this: "it has the most faithful and beautiful mids i've heard in 30 years". He also says both treble and bass are a bit rolled off, but nothing frustrating. The other headphones he had were not especially high end but the HE60 is a nice reference.
mobbaddict

I had the chance of a brief contact with R10 (together with Linn Ikemi and Mapletree) and that was the ultimate experience for me. Nothing that I've heard after could equal the transparence, detail, body and, over all, midrange from that rig. Obviously DT48e wouldn't resist an A/B comparison. But for me (and only from my memories) the DT48e has the closest sound signature that I've listened.
Take this as it is: just the sensation of a newbie that knows for sure what kind of sound he's looking for.
Vermellfort

I'm still considering the HD800 or the O2 with a dedicated amplifier, but for the time being I'm very happy with my purchase. On the downside, their resolution and tonal accuracy is so good that stopped being fun listening to some recordings, fortunately my favourite songs are still filled with passion and closer to reality.
Axle 69

It's simple, the DT48's are one of if not the most neutral, reliable, accurate, resolving headphones under 1000 dollars.
Milezone

- truly excellent separation, clarity, and imaging
- good detail, probably the best i've encountered but it's not as mind boggling as i expected
- excellent speed - articulation for complex passages in chamber music is astonishing
Kukrisna

I don't take anything written in an appreciation thread seriously. Going by appreciation threads, almost every headphone is a giant killer or the best headphone of all time. If you're looking for quotes:

"The DT48 is, or close to, the most overrated headphone on headfi. Zero definition in bass timbre, average in terms of detail, almost no soundstage, isolates well, poor frequency extension, and overall not enjoyable to listen to at all." - n3rdling

At one meet, IpodP screamed "This is the WORST headphone I've ever listened to!". I thought he was just exaggerating so I gave it a listen; I think he was right. Grotesque.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #54 of 93
Pipe dream. Not going to happen. Sure some high-end headphones are a rip-off but not all, and with the good ones you get what you pay for - high-quality materials and drivers manufactured to extremely high tolerances, all of which is reflected in the sound.

Stax SR-003 can do some things as well as a high-end headphone - the mids are exceptional and the bass is quite detailed and punchy - but you do have recessed highs and a small soundstage, and it's missing a few levels of resolution, refinement, and imaging accuracy, at least compared to the O2. You also have to have a good fit, and comfort is pretty poor in the long term.

Vintage, it all depends on what kind of a deal you can get. If you can find a SR-Lambda with a transformer box under $150, more power to you, and yes that will come quite close to the high end. But you will need a beefy power amp and a good source, and that will cost you too.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #55 of 93
Notice how the OP starts many of these controversial threads and never chimes in again. My best guess is that he likes how head-fiers go at each other in threads like the ones he create.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #56 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Notice how the OP starts many of these controversial threads and never chimes in again. My best guess is that he likes how head-fiers go at each other in threads like the ones he create.

Actually I chimed in several times in my own thread. I've been looking for a better headphone than my HD 580.
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #57 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For several famous forums I take part in, Head-Fi is unarguably, undoubtedly, unquestionably the only place where members go against each others in every single thread, yet I come here everyday
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #58 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I chimed in several times in my own thread. I've been looking for a better headphone than my HD 580.
tongue.gif

you "keep looking for better headphones" but you continually neglect to amp them or give them a good source.
enjoy failing forever.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #59 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The DT48 is, or close to, the most overrated headphone on headfi. Zero definition in bass timbre, average in terms of detail, almost no soundstage, isolates well, poor frequency extension, and overall not enjoyable to listen to at all." - n3rdling

Thanks n3rdling, I can use that for my sig.
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #60 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

You should try an AD700
tongue.gif

Or stop wasting money/get a job and raise funds for a good source and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back