Headphones under $150 that will compete with top end headphones?
Mar 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #61 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't take anything written in an appreciation thread seriously. Going by appreciation threads, almost every headphone is a giant killer or the best headphone of all time. If you're looking for quotes:

"The DT48 is, or close to, the most overrated headphone on headfi. Zero definition in bass timbre, average in terms of detail, almost no soundstage, isolates well, poor frequency extension, and overall not enjoyable to listen to at all." - n3rdling

At one meet, IpodP screamed "This is the WORST headphone I've ever listened to!". I thought he was just exaggerating so I gave it a listen; I think he was right. Grotesque.

I asked a beyerdynamic rep about the DT48E once and he just flatly replied "that is for specialized applications, it's not designed to for music. You can do it, it doesn't sound bad, but it would be like buying a semi for your daily commute to work."

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #62 of 93
The only way to have your 150$ headphones sound like top-end headphones is by never listing to 1000$+ headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #63 of 93
Just passing along something I read, but there was a quote from Bob Ohlson the famous Motown engineer who said the DT48 was the closest headphone to the sound of the live musicians in the studio. But this was years before the newer top line Senn and Beyer came out

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #64 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering. I know the DT 48 can do it, but I don't like vintage stuff.

Get yourself a pair of HD-580s used here. Put on the HD600 grills and you essentially have HD600. That not only sounds like, but use to be the top end of Sennheiser's line. Still the best phones I've heard. With careful looking, rig should cost $150.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #65 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just passing along something I read, but there was a quote from Bob Ohlson the famous Motown engineer who said the DT48 was the closest headphone to the sound of the live musicians in the studio. But this was years before the newer top line Senn and Beyer came out

He didn't compare it to other headphones, but to his own (apparently super-expensive) home speaker setup. I don't know what conclusions to draw from that though, other than that his speaker setup might have been really crappy (that's what he himself says too in that piece, by the way). I love the DT48, but I simply can't imagine that it would sound at all similar to a motown band in the studio.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #66 of 93
Quote:

Yeah, the DT48 was the best there was when there wasn't anything else. The DT48 was applied to music application originally by accident. And it was awesome for the time. But the time was before Sennheiser, Audio Technica and even Beyerdynamic itself came into their own with Hi-Fi music headphones.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #67 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He didn't compare it to other headphones, but to his own (apparently super-expensive) home speaker setup. I don't know what conclusions to draw from that though, other than that his speaker setup might have been really crappy (that's what he himself says too in that piece, by the way). I love the DT48, but I simply can't imagine that it would sound at all similar to a motown band in the studio.

From the quote I read, it's apparent that he thought they DID sound just like the musicians live in the studio, not his "crappy" home speakers. Maybe KBI, our resident dt48 expert, can fill us in on the correct quote.
popcorn.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #68 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the DT48 was the best there was when there wasn't anything else. The DT48 was applied to music application originally by accident. And it was awesome for the time. But the time was before Sennheiser, Audio Technica and even Beyerdynamic itself came into their own with Hi-Fi music headphones.

Not entirely accidental, the DT48 is an excellent tool for (midrange) monitoring. But you have to remember that this was also the time before things like Free Field or Diffuse Field equalisation in headphones, which should go a long way towards explaining why the DT48 sounds like it does.

Quote:

From the quote I read, it's apparent that he thought they DID sound just like the musicians live in the studio, not his "crappy" home speakers. Maybe KBI, our resident dt48 expert, can fill us in on the correct quote.
popcorn.gif

I know that's what he said, I just have a hard time believing it, knowing how the DT48 sounds. (But I guess this again goes to show we all hear/listen differently).
(EDIT: Or...perhaps he simply used the DT48 for mixing as well as for monitoring, which would not be such a grand idea.)

The original quote is here, almost at the bottom. (Just search for 'beyer', if you can't find it right away.)

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #70 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, another DT48 luv hate thread? sheesh

LOL, it's funny how headphones in general can be so polarizing.

(I'm already amazed that I'm actually posting in one of hurryup's "I want high-end for free!"-threads.)

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #71 of 93
Quote:

LOL, it's funny how headphones in general can be so polarizing.

(I'm already amazed that I'm actually posting in one of hurryup's "I want high-end for free!"-threads.)

yeah, it bothers me less that its gone off topic, when he's created the same exact thread 2937842030976 times.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #72 of 93
Quote:

The original quote is here, almost at the bottom. (Just search for 'beyer', if you can't find it right away.)

holy burning my eyeballs with black background and yellow font batman

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #73 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy burning my eyeballs with black background and yellow font batman

Hey, it's the 60s/70s!
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #74 of 93
I think that link nailed the terrible truth, perfectly. It is the disease that drives the commercial audiophile world. The coloration of the system that we percieve as being more representative of "real" music. Truth is, we all hear differently, what sounds linear to me may sound recessed or peaky to others. As an example, I got to hear a pair of Lawton modded D7000's recently - bludy awful is what I think. Upper mids and top resemble the R10 a little but the mids were way off and bass was anemic to the point that it didn't even feature. The owner, a respected member of our community who does his homework and reads all the reviews, loved his headphones. And really, that is where the story should end. It is not what others tell you about your headphones, but what you tell yourself about the experience of listening to your headphones. If they offer you what you need then don't go looking. There may come a time when you need something different, well, time has come for the next leg of the journey. Not all people need to make this journey and many will be happy with the sound they have found. It should not be about the price tag, expensive gear does not always sound "better". Another example - HD800 paired with Benchmark amp - razor blades to my ears, but to the owner, a match made in heaven. Now HD800 with Vinnie's Isabellini - the name says it all. BUT I am getting off track ....

Is it possible to achieve "high end" sound for under $150? unlike many naysayers , I would say yes. BUT it will not be without a little work on your part to shape the headphone to sound the way you need it to. I have given up modding dynamic headphones as they all sound...... dynamic
smily_headphones1.gif
. It was part of my journey to discover the delicate balance of planar drivers - electrostatic headphones are generally expensive and thrive with expensive electronics needed to drive them well. Electrets on the other hand are 1. vintage 2. cheap and can deliver almost all the sound characteristics without any real need for modification. My personal nirvana has been the discovery of orthodynamics. Necrolic mentioned them a few pages ago and I was much like anyone else "how can a 30 year old headphone compete in todays market?" I listened to a fellow amp builder carry on about them for over a year before I finally took the plunge and it has been the most satisfying plunge yet. They are not for everyone, they don't sound dynamic and people who want that Beyer or Sennheiser sound will not like them but like the DT48, they are straight shooters which have the ability to be tuned to a wide audience. Their mids are like few others and the best comparison I have is the Jenna modded R10. Bass can be tight AND deep, while the top end can sparkle like only the stats can. So why can they still be found on popular auction sites for under $100?
smily_headphones1.gif
because ..."how can a 30 year old headphone compete in todays market?"
I read a comment from a meet a while ago where there was a highly evolved YH100 and an HD800, and the comment was that the major difference was the soundstage. The HD800 is a ring radiator, the old yamaha orthos are center pinned planar drivers which essentially behave like ring radiators, so yes, I can see why they sound similar. YH100 driver construction is robust and if manufactured today would most likely cost more than the HD800 ( from a pure manufacturing standpoint )

Enough of my planar rave. What makes last years top end headphone any different from the new uber version sitting on the shelf enticing you to buy it. Mostly sales gimmick and some variation in manufacture but when it coms down to it, the HD650/580; K701/K501; etc drivers are not that different. So another way to get that high end sound for $150 is to buy the past years forgotten models. The K501 and HD580 are 2 superb examples of this.

Time for me to stop before I end up delving into the manufacture process
smily_headphones1.gif
, that would need a trip to the Emerald Isle to kiss the Blarney stone.

..dB

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #75 of 93
Blah.. N3rding claims the appreciation thread is worthless, but clings to every word of negativity towards the DT48 by members who hate them. JIpod is a drama queen. Couldn't listen for more then 10 seconds? Why? Would his head explode or something. And N3rdin auditions them at a meet for around 5 minutes.. Probaly less since being so awful. Ignores the positive quotes, cause he is right, even though it's just a opinion like theirs. I know of at least 3 well respected Head fiers with hi end experience that puts the DT48 in high regard. But he knows what sounds right and sounds good. I guess us DT48 owners have bad hearing and don't know what good headphones sound like. Again, no bad headphone would still be in production after 73 yrs. All the haters can never awnser this question. The DT48 must be making a profit for Beyers. OP, if you really want hi end for under 150, the DT48 is really your only choice. Mid range, speed, detail, resolve, balance, neutrality, tone, timbre, instrument separation, clarity, transparency etc. Ignore the haters with quickie auditions. And do check out the appreciation thread to counter this hatred over a fricken headphone. I'm done. No more being enticed by Nerding who takes cheap shots at the DT48 any chance he can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back