Headphones under $150 that will compete with top end headphones?
Mar 25, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #76 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the DT48 was the best there was when there wasn't anything else. The DT48 was applied to music application originally by accident. And it was awesome for the time. But the time was before Sennheiser, Audio Technica and even Beyerdynamic itself came into their own with Hi-Fi music headphones.

So newer is better?

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #77 of 93
Show me a world-class headphone for $150 new, and I'll show you a restaurant that serves world-class beef tenderloin for $15.

Expensive gear is not always good gear, but there is clearly a correlation between price and quality.

My suggestion: learn to enjoy a great hamburger for what it is. Revel in the gear you can afford. Connect with the music.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #78 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blah.. N3rding claims the appreciation thread is worthless, but clings to every word of negativity towards the DT48 by members who hate them. JIpod is a drama queen. Couldn't listen for more then 10 seconds? Why? Would his head explode or something. And N3rdin auditions them at a meet for around 5 minutes.. Probaly less since being so awful. Ignores the positive quotes, cause he is right, even though it's just a opinion like theirs. I know of at least 3 well respected Head fiers with hi end experience that puts the DT48 in high regard. But he knows what sounds right and sounds good. I guess us DT48 owners have bad hearing and don't know what good headphones sound like. Again, no bad headphone would still be in production after 73 yrs. All the haters can never awnser this question. The DT48 must be making a profit for Beyers. OP, if you really want hi end for under 150, the DT48 is really your only choice. Mid range, speed, detail, resolve, balance, neutrality, tone, timbre, instrument separation, clarity, transparency etc. Ignore the haters with quickie auditions. And do check out the appreciation thread to counter this hatred over a fricken headphone. I'm done. No more being enticed by Nerding who takes cheap shots at the DT48 any chance he can.

I think I've posted on the DT48 maybe 5 times. You on the other hand have posted about what almost every headphone "sounds like" and you haven't even heard most of them. And you've done this for thousands of posts. At least I have some experience with what I'm posting about. I don't post about the AD2000 or GS1000 because I've never heard them before.

Here is a typical post from me:
"I think headphone x is better than headphone y at blah1 and blah2"

A typical post from you:
"I've never heard an electro but they're the fastest and most detailed headphones around."

Do you not see the difference? I'm posting an opinion and you're posting speculation upon your behalf. How can you claim the DT48 is so great at everything constantly when you have almost no experience with the most highly regarded headphones? You need reference. Period.

Here is a thread that I'm almost certain was made about you, but if you haven't read it I'd highly suggest reading it carefully:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/st...arning-270280/

May 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #79 of 93

Quote:
Hmmmm.... The only thing that comes to mind immediately is the MS1. Also, ATH M50, AKG K240, AKG K271, HD25-1 II

Sorry but I've heard all of those except for the HD25, and none of them even compete with mid-priced headphones, let alone top tier headphones.

May 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #82 of 93
I listen to the ATH-M50 for a week straight now and i can definitely say that they give a hell of a fight to my D5000.  they are also better in certain areas imo.

May 12, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #83 of 93

Quote:
Expensive gear is not always good gear, but there is clearly a correlation between price and quality.

Exactly. Buying cheap but high quality output is a happy purchase for me like my SR60 and K701.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I listen to the ATH-M50 for a week straight now and i can definitely say that they give a hell of a fight to my D5000.  they are also better in certain areas imo.

You may also try M50 cos this is also a good deal.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #84 of 93
Ugh.

I personally prefer my HD555s (foam modded) + Nuforce uDac (headphone out) in practically every way to my HiFiMAN HE-5/EF-5 + uDac (RCA). HE-5s certainly aren't world class (maybe decent for a stock orthodynamic, but thats a different debate and pretty much a matter of preference). I can't stand the discomfort of HE-5s nor the abysmal build quality. However, the sound of orthodynamics (or at least I presume that they are distinct to regular dynamics, or it may be the HE-5s in particular) I have no special love for, and sound really average to me after some analysis and thought. It really is down to a matter of personal preference in this case, but I may also prefer HD 555s over HD 800s or K701/2 (I've never tried them, but considering how merciless my HE-5s are already, if the aforementioned phones are any more revealing, there is absolutely no way I could enjoy them) because of them being 'overly reference' or analytical, revealing every last flaw of my mostly underground and low-budget studio production collection. Everyone hears differently, and everyone has their own preferences. Low-fi or Mid-fi isn't necessarily a bad thing to hide the flaws of music, and 'fun' can certainly trump 'accuracy' of reproduction for some. After all, artists may take in account that most of their listeners would not be using reference setups or monitors to listen to music, would they?

May 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #86 of 93
Fischer Audio FA-003 is a strong rival. 

May 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #87 of 93

Quote:
what do you mean by top end? If you mean stuff like Stax, orpheus, R10, HD800, T1, then nothing in that price range comes close. If you mean like K701, HD600, RS1, etc, that's a different ball game.

You would know better the real nature of those hps with high end components, and maybe you'll have a huge surprise comparing them in the same ball game.
wink.gif

May 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #88 of 93
this thread is dumb

no, your $150 headphone is not going to come close to the performance of even HD-650s, or STAX, or any $1000 headphone

that being said, the MS1, ATH-M50, HD-25, and AKG 271 are all solid good performing headphones in the $150 range

it's not "find me something at $150 that competes with $1000" but rather find the best possible performance at the $150 price point

you can soup up an acura integra and make it go as fast as an M3, but guess what, you're still driving a P.O.S. integra.

also, if i go into a restaurant and they offer $5 filet, my first instinct isn't "OMG WOW, $5 filet!" but rather "What is this crap that they can afford to serve it for $5"

May 12, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #89 of 93
OP, I think your HD580 can do the job but you WILL NEED AN AMP.  If you want to skip the amp then I would recommend the Grado SR80 or the ATH-M50.  For me, the AT and the Senns can compete with mid level cans when it comes to my musical preferences.  Many here will disagree but it is usually those who have spent 3-5X the price of these cans I mentioned.  That said,  I really want some HD800s but for that money I might as well skip town cuz my wife would put a bounty(all my audio gear and music collection) on my head(dead or alive).   good luck.

May 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #90 of 93

Quote:
you can soup up an acura integra and make it go as fast as an M3, but guess what, you're still driving a P.O.S. integra.

There is a difference between modding a car yourself so that it can compete with/ beat a 70K BMW and buying a WRX or EVO that can beat an M3 off the lot.  So is that integra still a POS?  not to they guy that put his time and money into it.  After the M3 guys warranty is up and he is stuck with repair bills he might be calling his car a POS.  He probably  don't even  know how to change his own oil. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back