Headphones to buy for $130 or less
Dec 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Anoop

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I am looking to buy some headphones. Currently I am using 'monoprice 8323' and was really impressed with them considering the price. I listen generally(but not only) to rock(stuff like Queen, ACDC), alternative rock, dubstep, house. I am looking for a pair of headphones that cater to all these genres, and are the best for my price range. I have heard a lot of good and bad about the ath m50s, so I am not sure if i should get those... I've read a little about some competitors but I am not really sure how these compare. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, i preferably do not want an amp with my headphones... but i could do with a portable amp if the difference is significant enough. The whole thing should come to under $130. I should mention I have big ears, not sure if that changes anything... but just in case.....

Thanks for the help!

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 16
ATH-M50 are great for those who are just getting started into audio stuff due to it's extreme build quality & great sound compare to Beats. I, personally attend to those find it an 'okay" headphone. Build quality are great. However, the sound are bad to me. Too much unwanted bass. Recessed mids & clear highs. There's very little soundstage.

I think Sennheiser HD439 are a good buy do note that it has warm mids.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 16
Get the koss dj pro 100 and buy a fiio e11. If you want an open headphone pick up the grado sr80i. Both are amazing for rock music. The grados having more forward mids and the pro 100 have a bit more bass.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Grado sr80i, dont look any further, 99$ on amazon cant beat them for the price/sound quality hands down. 32 OHM dont even need an amp. I always recommend these headphones for anyone within the price range you are in, and you'll have some change left to buy some music, oh I'm sorry that was a mistake you'll be too busy rediscovering the music you already have! Trust me!

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 16
How much does the sound 'bleed' out with the grado sr80i? I know this is a part of open ear headphones, and I don't mind ..... but i often listen to music while studying in my school's library, so it can't be too loud for that purpose. That is my only concern, but besides that it seems great!

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 16
It will be way to loud for a library. Trust me, I've gotten in trouble for using my sr60is in a library. I have however used my dj pro 100's in a library and I havn't had any problems.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 16
Grados are pretty loud. I have a set of Grado 225i's and they are much too loud to be used in a quit setting (I.e library)
Unfortunately they let in a lot of sound, so those few times you can use them in public you will get a lot of background noise.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 16
I've got a lot of suggestions..... how do i decide between them, the grados are out because they are open ear. How would i decide between the rest, i would try them all out but i can't anywhere that demo's any of these. I have tried ath-m50s, so if anyone has any info on how these compare to that headphone... that could be helpful.

Also,
Thanks to anyone who has helped me out!

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 16
I can't really say much besides that you should just keep reading about each set and make and eduacated decision about which you would like to purchase.

Good luck and happy listening!

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 16
How was the M50 for you? what did you like or potentially what to change about it?

also grados let out as much sound out the back as in to your ears. (basically a tube with some damping and a driver in it) but for rock these things are ideal
HD518's also leak sound but not as bad as grados. not my first choice for rock and dubstep though

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 16
I real sorry for you that you cant get the 80's being an open back design, but I have a good idea, either tell everybody in the library to put headphones on so you can listen to your 80's or get your books and study in a different room. Joking. Good luck!

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 16
I thought the M50 was good overall. I will explain my thoughts, but i don't know audiophile terminology. It sounded clear and crisp, but at times muddled.. like i couldn't distinguish instruments, which wasn't nesacarily a bad thing. The bass was very prominent, which didn't bother me or sell me on them. I guess i found them underwhelming, it just wasn't as detailed and crisp as it had been advertised to me... perhaps thats because they were not burned in. I really didn't have huge issues with them, but I am buying my first pair of 'real' headphones so i don't trust my own opinion. I would have been alright buying them, just don't know enough to say that they are good or bad. I guess i am looking for something that sounds great with rock music, and electronic secondary... so something that focuses on good vocals... but is still able to play some house and on occasion dubstep. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 16
Understand your point, but in reality you can only take these recommendations as maybe a guide line because everybodys love for sound varies. So do as much demoing as you can do and take your time ( I used to go to the audio stores and buy 2-3 headphones at a time and listen to them just to find what I was looking for because I am the one who is going to be listening to them in the end ). So find what you like by getting a guide line from other people and which ones you like to listen the best. And just remember like many things just because it cost more dosnt mean it sounds better to you, and dont worry what anyone else says to you if you like them you win! If they sound good to you, then they are good, they are your ears, your preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back