Headphones that target outer ears to reduce hearing damage?
Oct 5, 2011 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ACE of SPARTANS

New Head-Fier
I remember reading a headphones review and in the comments someone commented about a company coming out with a pair of headphones that will be the of the first to target your outer ear rather than inner/middle ear. They will do this to avoid hearing damage that most/all other headphones and earbuds cause. Anybody know the company?

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 7
First time I'm hearing of this. But wouldn't it just be more prudent to keep the volume low?
I also doubt the veracity of the claim that "most/all other headphones and earbuds cause [hearing damage by targetting the inner/middle ear]".

More isolation, less volume/gain. Done.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 7
True, and it was a long time ago that I heard about them and it was just a random comment in a review. So not super sure about them, but maybe someone on here knows. And I really like how music sounds loudly, I just really don't want to damage my hearing or have bad hearing when I'm older (I don't mean WAY older, because of course I'll have bad hearing then, I mean like 40's). Maybe I should just listen to things via speakers rather than headphones? They seem like they would do less damage at loud levels. Possibly.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, you're thinking of Ultrasone. It was explained on the paper I got with my HFI-580. Basically, the music sounds louder at a lower volume so you don't turn it up as high. I doubt it will make a big enough difference to buy Ultrasones for that reason alone though. Don't turn your music up ridiculously loud and you won't get hearing damage with any headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back