Headphones that sound most like Grado's...but aren't
Oct 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DuxR

Head-Fier
After doing a lot of searching and reading on various forums I've decided that the Grado's sound like a perfect match for the sort of music I listen to (mostly guitar-oriented rock). Before you say it, I know I should try out various headphones before deciding, but the chance of me being able to do that around my area is literally zero, since there are no high-end audio stores that stock a wide range of headphones (that I know about, anyway), and I need to narrow down the options somewhat.

However, I've tried a pair of Grado's on before when I was in the states (but didn't really get to listen to them properly) and found them to be the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn, since I hate ones where the pads sit on the ears and prefer the circumaural ones. 

So this brings me to my question: which brand of headphones has a sound signature that most closely matches that of the Grado's, but offers more in the way of comfort? Any specific suggestions would be most welcome, although my budget is not unlimited at circa ~£200/$300.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 20
Nothing sounds like a Grado exactly, except other Grados, but we will try anyways
gs1000.gif
.  Could you tell us what model you listened to?  That would help us narrow your search.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
Nothing sounds like a Grado exactly, except other Grados, but we will try anyways
gs1000.gif
.  Could you tell us what model you listened to?  That would help us narrow your search.

Yeah, I do realise that unfortunately, but I'd rather have something that sounds similar that I don't mind wearing for a long period of time than the exact thing which I never want to wear because it's uncomfortable. In this respect, comfort is almost as big a factor as SQ for me.

As for the model I tried, I can't remember exactly as it was at least a year ago now but it was one of the SRx25i series.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 20
I found the G-Cushions to be comfortable on 325is.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 20
Keep in mind that even if you do like guitar rock (as I do) you may not prefer Grados. I tried out some 325i's once and thought they were a step in the wrong direction (treble) and were as you say horribly uncomfortable. In fact my HD650s, which is what I was comparing them to, did everything the Grados did and then some.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Keep in mind that even if you do like guitar rock (as I do) you may not prefer Grados. I tried out some 325i's once and thought they were a step in the wrong direction (treble) and were as you say horribly uncomfortable. In fact my HD650s, which is what I was comparing them to, did everything the Grados did and then some.

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind, obviously everyone has different tastes. I do own some HD595's, and although comfortable I am not totally enamoured with the sound. Unfortunately I'm not really experienced enough with headphones to determine if that's because I don't like the Sennheiser sound or just because they're lower-end cans.

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 20
you can try ATH AD-Series, perhaps AD900 at that price range.

AD-Series also have forward midrange, but with wider soundstage, more airy sound, and less punchy bass than Grado SR-Series

I don't say that AD-Series have Grado sound (because nothing is really like Grado), but it's just a bit similiar I think.

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 20
You can try bagel/jumbo pads.  They're completely circumaural and extremely comfortable, all be it pricey.  A caveat, though: they do change the sound signature quite noticeably.  This is a good thing for some people and a bad thing for others.  In my experience, the soundstage is increased quite a bit (think of taking a picture in it's native resolution and stretching it; it becomes larger but the pixels begin to show more, making the image appear to be a bit grainier and rough), the deeper bass is emphasized while mid-bass is reduced, the mids become more reticent and lose some of their "Grado magic", and the highs become prominent, often leading to sibilance.

That's just my $45 (or more, depending on where you live). 

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Goldring Dr150s?

They would definitely be worth a look.  I have a pair of the DR100 phones and they have a similar sound to Grados.  They're quite comfortable, and well built.  I hear the DR150s are a significant step up, which would be appreciated because the DR100s are somewhat unrefined but very exciting phones to listen to.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Goldring Dr150s?

Hmm, I've just read up on these a bit after I originally saw the low price tag and discounted them thinking they'd be awful, but they sound like fantastic value for money (I can get them for under £50 here). At that price I'd be really tempted to just buy them and give them a shot since I don't have a lot to lose.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 20
If you're okay with Grado jumbo pads you could always just mod your way to an MS-1000.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 20
I think I read somewhere that the AKG K240 are sorta like a Grado. Don't take my word for it though, as I have never listened to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back