Headphones that sound good at LOWer volumes?
Dec 10, 2005 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

drxpert

Head-Fier
I've got tinnitus in both ears, with the right one being more severe. Reading about hearing loss has got me slightly worried, so I'd like some recommendations on cans that don't need the volume pumped up to sound good.

Oh yea I listen to all types of music, mostly pop and rock though.

Dec 10, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 30
My K1000's are one of my favorites at listening at 3am when it is dead quiet. Don't need to turn it up much. But they are rather aggressive and bright, so may be a bad choice for severe tinnitus.

Maybe Sennheiser HD650's in balanced mode, as they are more dynamic in balanced mode, and are darker phones overall.

-Ed

Dec 10, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 30
Looking at your sig, do you mainly use an iPod?

Even with a line out, it's still pretty sibilant as a source compared to better CDP or DAC.

But for on the go, I'd recommend perhaps another IEM other than the Ety's. If your tinnitus is not triggered by pressure in the ear, try UE Super.Fi 5 Pro or Shure E4. They block outside noise, so you can listen at a lower volume without having to crank it up to compete with outside noise.

It depends what you value more quantity of, treble or bass.

E4 has better treble, so if you find yourself cranking the volume to hear more treble, then go for the E4.

The Super.Fi 5 Pro has better bass, so if you find yourself cranking the volume to hear more bass, then go for the Super.Fi.

Hope that helps.
-Ed

Dec 10, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 30
The most ear-friendly solution I can think of are the Sensaphonics products. There is no need to turn up the volume to make the most of them.

Dec 10, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 30
I think Grados would fit. They are very involving at any volume. While e.g. the HD650 has to be played at louder volumes to bring the same "fun".

Dec 10, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxlMusikfreak
I think Grados would fit. They are very involving at any volume. While e.g. the HD650 has to be played at louder volumes to bring the same "fun".

Only the PS-1, RS-1, and possibly the RS-2. All lower Grados suffer a rather severe loss in detail and dynamics when the volume is dropped too low. My normal listening volume (60+/-5dB) is near the threshold of the drop-out.

Dec 10, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 30
aerius: I find adjusting the relative source / amp volumes can help here - I used to have my PC at 48 (out of 100) volume and the amp around 25%, now I have the PC at 23 and the amp around 50%. Sounds better. Obviously this isn't possible for all sources, but...

Dec 10, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 30
I find the RS1 to work well at low volumes. When browsing the forums I hook them up to my computer(crappy soundcard and ampless) and i'm satisfied with it at the 5% mark on the winamp volume bar. This is with the windows voume at normal and reverse bowls btw.

Dec 10, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

agreed

Quote:

Only the PS-1, RS-1, and possibly the RS-2. All lower Grados suffer a rather severe loss in detail and dynamics when the volume is dropped too low. My normal listening volume (60+/-5dB) is near the threshold of the drop-out.

325i doesn't

Dec 10, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 30
Any mid-frequency prominent headphone is not going to be very balanced at low playback volumes.

Why?

Because of this:

fig1.png

The lower the playback volume, the less sensitive your hearing is to low and extreme high frequencies.

If you already have a mid-frequency prominent headphone (like Grado) and play it at low volumes, it's going to sound even MORE mid-frequency prominent.

For low volume playback a somewhat bright and bass heavy headphone (at normal playback volume) would probably offer a much more balanced presentation.

Also, if you have to compete with outside noise, you will have to crank it up.

This is why IEMs are the perfect solution as they can block up to 25dB of outside noises (and no, HD280 do not really block up to 30 dB, regardless of what Sennheiser puts in their marketing brochures).

Dec 10, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 30
Yeah, I'd get a pair of IEM's to be honest. I actually had some pretty bad tinnitus for a bit, mainly because I'm in the research lab mostly and there's these machines that are #&$ing loud right by where I work. I've asked them if they can do something about it, but apparently not. I started to use IEM's instead of my K271S and HD650 and it helped a ton, almost to the point where I'd say that I may not have it anymore.

Dec 10, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 30
Best answer for you would seem to IEM with custom moulds......perfect with your Xin Supermini....in this case use the bass jumper (with iem I also tend towards also using the crossover jumper). The er-4's you have very frequently do not work all that well with custom mouldings......best to find audiologist who has a significant experience in working with IEMS instead of hearing aides - and ultimately seek his/her guidance. Generally converting universal iem's to custom moulds is a very hit-and-miss proposition. So, without question Sensaphonics 2x is a number one choice (besides their high quality sound). It seems that original IEM size and shape is the predominent issue in successfully transforming universal IEM to a custom mould. But, for long-term, everyday use I'd think custom should be considered mandatory where a medical issue is involved.

Dec 10, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 30
dup delete

Dec 10, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back