Headphones that sound good at LOWer volumes?
Dec 11, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by drxpert
I've got tinnitus in both ears, with the right one being more severe. Reading about hearing loss has got me slightly worried, so I'd like some recommendations on cans that don't need the volume pumped up to sound good.

Stax sr001. Very balanced/linear sound. e.g. 10% volume, 10% bass. With other headphones, 10% volume, 2% bass.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Stax sr001. Very balanced/linear sound. e.g. 10% volume, 10% bass. With other headphones, 10% volume, 2% bass.
biggrin.gif

I agree that Electrostatics do very well at low volumes in terms of sounding balanced. There is also the issue of ear sensitivity. If you listen for awhile at lower volumes your hearing will adjust to the lower volume. The point above about balance with electrostatic drivers vs. dynamic is IMHO correct (I'm not sure about the percentages though).

Dec 11, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #18 of 30
What would be some slightly bass-heavy IEMs?

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
What would be some slightly bass-heavy IEMs?

UE-5s..
UE.pro.EBs
UE.pro5s

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #20 of 30
Probably something inside the ear canal....but keep in mind that the limitation is in your hearing, and not the headphones, take a look at those Fletcher-Munson studies and curves (the ones above IIRC) there is no way you can get a good result at very low volumes, as the curves get flatter the higher you go (to the point that it is almost flat at really painful volumes) and that is inside your ears.....but you could do a little of EQ at low volumes, and solve that, that is the only way IMO, and in others, the main reason what "loudness" in amps exists....

BTW if you get a headphone that will resolve flat at low volumes, at high volumes it will be a real mess, as you will hear the mids overpowered....but in general we do not have these problems and almost any headphone with high sensitivity, will resolve in a satisfactory way, and if not optimal, at least decent...

Dec 11, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #21 of 30
Sovkiller nailed it. I use W1000's which maintain their detail at low volume but I also fiddle with the equalizer at that point to boost bass and midrange. I think at low volumes you have to tweak the bass.

Dec 11, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #22 of 30
I wonder, could the differences in peoples perception of headphones have to do with the effective frequency response being changed based on how loudly they usually listen?

Dec 11, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #23 of 30
I could possibly see that affecting two theoretical people who only ever hear one pair of headphones, but when you hear a few different pairs, I can't see how it could still happen, because no matter what volume you listen at the _difference_ between phones should be about the same...

Dec 11, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #24 of 30
I do find the ipod to be sibilant compared to my pcdp and sound blaster audigy 2. On certain songs the ssss gets really bad on my DT990s, but alas, its my main rig at the moment.

SA5Ks sound like a good answer to me, but isn't the sound signature very much like the etys? Are they good enough to warrant the upgrade?

I know HD650s don't fit into this, but i auditioned a pair recently, and i gotta say i realllly love them. Too bad they sounded tame at low volumes. I suppose most darker sounding headphones need the volume pumped to get it on.

Dec 11, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #25 of 30
I'd stay very far away from Grado with tinnitus. The upfront, high impact nature of them will reak havoc on your inner ear. Ideally you want something with full extention but a little distant or laidback to reduce pressure on your ear.

The Senn 580/600/650 don't agitate my tinnitus and I have them set to 70dB@1kHz.

Dec 11, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
er-4S does really well in low volumes

I will second that.
Except, ER-4P is a bit more laid-back and may be better for person with tinnitus...

Dec 11, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #29 of 30
I would not reccomend Grado RS-1. While it does sound good at what is percieved as lower volume, it has got a big peak in its frequency responce. I don't know the figure but i think it was around +10dB at a certain frequency. I really doubt that is good foor your ear.

And sennheisers (at least my HD600s) need more volume to sound good.

If only there was a headphone with a smooth frequency responce that sounded good at low volumes....

I have tinnitus myself btw.

Dec 11, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #30 of 30
AKG K501 is great at very low volumes, in part due to its focus on midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back