Headphones that fit big ears and block heads
Apr 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jslevine

New Head-Fier
I purchased a set of Grado because I loved the way they sounded. However after only briefly using them last year I realized that they don't fit my head very well. I've got pretty big ears, a block head and wear glasses (plug ugly too but my wife likes it).

Any suggestions on replacement phones that are better suited for big heads and people who wear glasses? I love to read late at night while listening to music but live in a condo so headphones are a must to keep my wife happy (she goes to bed really early).

Thanks

Jay

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
The brainwavz hm5 is just huge. You might take a look at that. Budget? Preferred sound signature?

Will do. My budget is open. I'm trying to sell my Grado's to plug the financial gap. Once I post enough on this board I'm going to list them and probably purchase something "previously owned" from the board members.

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 13

I've got a pair of the HM5 pads and they are very plush. I could see them performing well around glasses. I read that Beyer velours are good for this as well. Not sure about HM5 or DT770 headbands being comfortable for large heads, though. I'd imagine a Denon D2k being nice for you. The Denons also accept Beyer pads.

Custom IEM's?

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 13
I assume you mean custom in ear monitors? I've had them for motorcycle riding for 10 years. I've never had hi-end monitors but have to admit it might be time (I generally listen to books on tape/pod cast while riding). Do folks generally feel that IEM give good fidelity?

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 13
I really like my Fisher remolded UE5C's and these are a very far cry from "hi-end" I would assume. Comfort? I can wear them for 24 hours probably and never think twice. I don't wear glasses, though, so I couldn't tell you if behind the ear wires will get in the way of your glasses, or not. A lot of people consider it pretty hard to surpass quality IEM's in detail retrieval. The fact that you'll be able to use them on the go is pretty invaluable as well. Take 'em to the gym, walk the dog, read right next to your wife and 100% not have to worry about sound leakage, on your motorcycle under your helmet with unparalleled noise isolation, etc. And I said "custom" sort of mindlessly. Don't limit yourself. You were planning on going used so buying something like a Westone UM3X (or other nice universal fit) could save you some money on the remold.

All in all you sound like an excellent candidate for some quality IEM's, imo. Headphones have a tactile element to them. You feel the sound over your entire ear. Speakers have a visceral feeling where you feel it in your chest. IEM's have none of that. Sound literally emanates from is inside your head, but they can still have an eerie sense of space per the recording. If you're willing to give up certain aspects of the sonic presentation you could go IEM and never look back.

Let's wait for others to chime in whether IEM cables and glasses interfere with one another, or maybe perform a search in the portable headphones forum and see if some one else has asked this same question?

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 13
If you thinking about CIEMs then i will recommend the highend CIEMs like JH13Pro/JH16Pro, ES5, UM Miracle and they all sound superb (include imaging, instruments separation, soundstage) without AMPs help and rival many desktop fullsize headphones setups.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 13
Totally random suggestions not taking price/SQ into account at all, from someone who doesn't wear glasses (I'm imagining with my sunglasses): 

Koss ESP/950
Kenwood KH-K1000 (this isn't the same as the K1000 mentioned previously in this thread, at least I'm assuming - there are two different headphones called K1000, the Kenwood (which is still made), and the AKG (which is no longer made))
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 (this one's a maybe)
IEMs (various) 

I wear my Denon C751s with sunglasses almost all the time, and don't have an issue. I don't wrap the cables around my ears though. Same for my Etyplugs (which are similar to the Etymotic in-ear headphones, they're just hearing protectors instead). 

The Koss (apart from being one of the better headphones ever made) have almost no clamp pressure, and huge ear-cups, so I imagine them being very glasses-friendly. The Kenwoods are in a similar boat, they're closed-back and dynamic too, so they're probably more accessible for what you want (oh yeah and they cost less). 

The ESW9s are a maybe - they're very light on-ear headphones with decent padding, they may or may not conflict with your glasses though. I'm not really sure. They'll get the closet to the Grados of the three, mostly owing to their on-ear fit, and they look super cool (for whatever that's worth). 

I'm not sure how more conventional "comfy" models like the K701 or HD 600 or Bose AE2 (hey, knock the sound all you want, but they're comfy headphones) would fare with glasses though - I just see the earpads putting too much clamp on the glasses and causing discomfort. I can't think of anything else that's got that "super mushy" quality like the Koss or Kenwood. Supposedly Beyers with the gel pads get along with glasses, but I've never tried gel pads; it will change the sound of whatever headphone you stick them on (and they look kind of dorky). 

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 13
I think I've figured out what I'm going to do....keep my Grados and instead buy a pair of pince-nez
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back