Headphones that don't hurt my medically altered ears?
May 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sky-blue

New Head-Fier
So, after many medical procedures on my ears and the area behind them, I cannot find a single pair of headphones that don't cause pain. I'm hoping to get some suggestions.

I've been searching for a while, but no luck. I've found that on-ear and around-the-ear headphones hurt less. Earbuds are extremely painful. The in-ear silicone ones didn't work either. So, I think my best bet is an on-ear or around-ear pair that doesn't put too much pressure on my ears or the surrounding area. Looser-fitting seems the way to go. (If you disagree, let me know!)

My ears are slightly bigger than average, my head is a bit wide. I will be using them while working on the computer. I'm hoping for something affordable.

Any suggestions?

May 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 16
Have you tried using foam eartips like those from Comply?

Also, the only headphones I've tried that don't actually touch my ears at all are the Sennheiser HD595 - they might work for you.

May 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 16
You might look at the Sony MDR MA900 or secondhand Sony MDR F1. They don't touch the ears at all. Similarly, the AKG K1000 is suspended over the ears although could not be described as "affordable" unless you have a bit of spare cash.

May 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 16
On a serious note though, which around ear headphones have you tried? Have any of them caused you pain?

May 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Well... I would recommend looking into the Sennheiser HD598/558.  I've found these to be sinfully comfortable.  In some cases I've actually found them to be a bit loose, and the sounds is quite nice as well. 

May 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Well... I would recommend looking into the Sennheiser HD598/558.  I've found these to be sinfully comfortable.  In some cases I've actually found them to be a bit loose, and the sounds is quite nice as well. 

I had HD558 and didn't find them that comfortable. The velours made my skin itchy and the clamp was quite strong.

May 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 16
What kind of sound signature are you looking for? If you want something bassy, check out the Sony MDR-XB700's. They are huge, but absurdly comfortable. In fact, since they are so big, there's more surface area on the pads to spread out clamp force.

May 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 16
What kind of sound signature are you looking for? If you want something bassy, check out the Sony MDR-XB700's. They are huge, but absurdly comfortable. In fact, since they are so big, there's more surface area on the pads to spread out clamp force.

Agreed. The xb500 were like 2 pillows on my ears. The beyerdynamic full sized are very comfortable too. I bought the t5p and the leather headband and pads are just incredibly comfortable.

May 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 16
I have the Sony MDR-XB500 and the Ear Cushions are big but really soft! They're Over-Ear too so they won't be physically touching your ears either (unless your ears are bigger than mine).

You might want to get the Sony MDR-XB700 instead though since the Ear Cushions are even bigger.

May 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 16
If you go on ear, the Phiaton MS400 is untouchable, it can be bent outward to achieve almost no clamp at all and combined with its very soft earpads you can get great comfort, as can the ATH ESW9.  Both are excellent headphones.  

May 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 16
I feel you, Skyblue.  I had an ear infection when I was very little that left me with added pressure in the eustachian tube of my left ear.  I do NOT recommend the lauded Audiotechnica ATH-M50s, as they were extremely painful to me due to clamping pressure, and I had to return them almost instantly.  I personally have found AKG's offerings to be among the most comfortable, as most of the "clamping force" is distributed over the top of the head with the headband rather than resting directly on the ears.  Some of the higher-end Sennheiser models and even the Denon Ah-DX000 are quite nice, IMO, for both comfort and sound.  I hope this was helpful to you.

May 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 16
Surprised no one has suggested the Audio Technica AD series. Practically no clamp and many people would probably say they are some of the most comfortable out there. I thought my AD700s were really comfortable, just not enough clamp for me personally and it always felt like they would fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back