Headphones stores in NYC?
Jun 21, 2007 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for a good headphone shop that I can browse around in, preferably in Manhattan. Online shopping is great, but I'd love to take my SO to a store and give her the ability to see it in person before buying. The big brands in this area (Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, Grado) are easy to find, but a store that carries AKG, Beyerdynamic, or Audio Technica would be a huge benefit.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 24
Sorry - it is not possible to sell or otherwise transfer ownership of headphones within the confines of New York City. Mayor Mike Bloomberg read somewhere that headphones were dangerous for citizens to posess. They were henceforth proclaimed to be deleterious to the health of his fine citizens and he has, therefore, promulagated the banning of them. If you are alert, you may see small bands of headphone groupies mingling outside amongst the smokers, huddled outside under bridges and other out of the way locations - ever alert to the possibility of being discovered and having to face the consequences (shiver).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 24
J&R has expanded their offerings quite a bit lately. While their "wall-o-headphones" upstairs hasn't changed much, their website shows the full line of Grados, the better AKG's, and even the Denon D5000's in stock. This means they are in the brick-and-mortar store too. They may not all be out on display on the first floor, but they're there. Just ask. I also know they have Audio-Technica A700's on display (in box), but that's about it for A-T full-sized cans, I think.

Prices range from deep discounts to full retail depending on the model.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J&R has expanded their offerings quite a bit lately. While their "wall-o-headphones" upstairs hasn't changed much, their website shows the full line of Grados, the better AKG's, and even the Denon D5000's in stock. This means they are in the brick-and-mortar store too. They may not all be out on display on the first floor, but they're there. Just ask. I also know they have Audio-Technica A700's on display (in box), but that's about it for A-T full-sized cans, I think.

Prices range from deep discounts to full retail depending on the model.

J&R "wall-o-headphones" was the only time that i listened to the HD650. It was powered but a very weak source though. They didn't had more headphones that time (march 2006). Things might have changed ...

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 24
They don't have the HD650 there anymore BUT they have an SR325i and the source is stronger (when it is working that is).

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 24
B&H Photo-Video has quite a lot of headphones on their website, so they might have some in their store, which I think is in Manhattan.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 24
I am sorry to say this, but for god's sake use the search function!!!!!!!
Every 3 days there is at least 1 thread about headphone stores in NYC...

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sorry to say this, but for god's sake use the search function!!!!!!!
Every 3 days there is at least 1 thread about headphone stores in NYC...

You know, if you don't like it, you don't have to open the thread.

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 24
I do agree. The search function is way too under used.

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 24
famous non sequitur comment: jagorev - "You know, if you don't like it, you don't have to open the thread."

Cogent comment: laxx - "I do agree. The search function is way too under used."

Ditto with Laxx comment - while I often use the search button..........there are people who appear to treat as though it were radioactive.............further about this particular oft-revisited thread subject - there are NO good places for trying headphones in NYC - please go to Head-Fi meets if you hope to try things before buying anywhere.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, if you don't like it, you don't have to open the thread.

Forums are there to state your opinions and feelings. Therefore, I open these threads to express my feelings towards people who cannot use the damn search function.

/rant

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 24
Sometimes I remember why I moved out of New York.....God forbid you have to ask directions, they send you to the yellow pages or mapquest to look it up. Not very hospitable, I think.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 24
having grown up in NYC and gone to college in Philly, I take
some umbrage with your post about NY. I never found Philadelphia people particularly gracious or magnanimous in
their interpersonal activities (especially the sports fans)

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 24
I'm a home-grown New Yorker and have trouble trying to recollect (believe it or not) strangers unwilling to help strangers here. Perhaps times have changed all over the country. Only four years ago there was a foul-up concerning my arrival from DeGaulle to JFK. It was late at night and the next best option for me was to take the Shuttle Bus from the airport to a Subway line. I only ran into helpful people along the way..........Now, I have to wonder about how I'd be received in the city of brotherly luv...........now I remember a Psych. course at NYU and the Prof. was clearly NOT from NYC - and he also exuded negative feelings (IOW New Yorkers are crap) to the point I just couldn't resist raising my hand and incurring his emnity. Clearly, he didn't like my resistance to his particular point of view
smily_headphones1.gif

Relating story above, it is also apropos to mention a visit to France. I'd driven into France (for the first time in my life) from Karlesruhe, and was heading toward Fontainebleau.......anyway, despite their reputation (largely derived from Parisians - oops) virtually everyone I spoke to - they tried their best to help me. My French remains non-existant (except for a few scurrilous phrases) so all communication was via gesticulation and pointing in directions etc.. I got people to exchange D marks to Franc so I could buy gas etc. So, they do not, as a people, deserve their popularized reputations. I won't say don't be an ugly American........just more appropriately learn not to be an ugly person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back